r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Rams Get Good News On Barron's Knee

08.18.2009 3:10 pm
    Rams get good news on Barron’s knee
    By Bill Coats
    St. Louis Post-Dispatch

An MRI exam of Alex Barron’s knee came out clean, meaning that there is no serious problem. The St. Louis Rams’ first-team left tackle is day-to-day with swelling in the joint, coach Steve Spagnuolo reported this afternoon.

Barron, who has been experiencing periodic swelling during training camp, sat out both practices Tuesday. Adam Goldberg took first-team reps at left tackle, with rookie Jason Smith moving up to the top unit at right tackle.

Notes & quotes:

*Tuesday was the final two-practice day, much to the relief of the players (and reporters).

*Camp officially wraps up at the end of the day Sunday. That means that only two more practices will be open to the public: From 11:15 a.m. to about 12:45 p.m. today, and from 2:30 to about 4:45 p.m. Sunday.

*Officials representing Conference USA, the Missouri Valley, Western Athletic and Mountain West conferences worked the two practices, tossing flags when penalties occurred.

*With Jacob Bell (concussion) still sidelined, Mark Setterstrom and John Greco both took snaps at LG with the No. 1 offense.

*A contingent of Blues officials, including president John Davidson, general manager Larry Pleau and coach Andy Murray, watched the morning workout from the sideline.

*The players were in full pads in the first practice, but there was no live tackling. They were in shells in the afternoon.

*WR Keenan Burton and DE Eric Moore were shaken up briefly after taking hard tumbles in team drills, but both were back in action after a few plays.

*Friday night’s home preseason game vs. the Falcons didn’t sell out, so it can’t be televised live locally. But KTVI, Channel 2, will air it on tape delay later that night after the game ends, according to Rams exec Kevin Demoff.

*Updated injury list: Barron, Bell, WR Donnie Avery (foot), QB Marc Bulger (finger), DT Adam Carriker (ankle), WR Tim Carter (groin), WR Brooks Foster (ankle), DT Darell Scott (knee).

All for now…

MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP

Re: Rams Get Good News On Barron's Knee

Maybe a slower knee will help him from starting falsely!

"The disappointment of losing is huge!"

Jack Youngblood

TekeRam is offline Registered User

It's bad that so many of our starters have been hit by the injury bug in camp, but that means valuable reps going to the backups too! Moreover, it's been really fotunate that none of the injuries seem all that serious, with Bulger being out only a short while and Avery seemingly being one the extreme short side of his window as well.

Maybe our luck is turning for the better?

Quote Originally Posted by MoonJoe View Post

I don't care who you are, that's just plain funny!

thoey is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MoonJoe View Post

While I admit I chuckled a bit, then I thought it through. I think knowing that he has a sore knee, he might be trying to jump a little sooner to make sure he doesn't get burned, thus false starting *more* (if that is possible).

Actually, he did alright in preseason game #1. Hope for this trend to continue and for AB to get better with practice and continuity with the rest of the line.
    This space for rent...

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

John Greco both took snaps at LG with the No. 1 offense
    I haven't seen it mentioned yet, but did anyone else see the great job Greco did from the RG spot last week on one of Gado's (I think, might have been Pittman) runs to the inside? Did a great job of getting up and under the DT to open the hole for the runner. Top notch play on Greco's part.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    I haven't seen it mentioned yet, but did anyone else see the great job Greco did from the RG spot last week on one of Gado's (I think, might have been Pittman) runs to the inside? Did a great job of getting up and under the DT to open the hole for the runner. Top notch play on Greco's part.
    In watching the replay of Gado's TD run, the entire line looked like All-Pro's. It was a thing of beauty.