Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Rams get good return on second-round investments

  1. #1
    Nick's Avatar
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Age
    31
    Posts
    19,480
    Rep Power
    154

    Rams get good return on second-round investments

    Rams get good return on second-round investments
    Posted April 27, 2012 @ 8:55 p.m. ET
    By Dan Arkush

    Possessing three of the first 13 picks in the second round, including the first Friday-evening pick, the Rams quickly got down to business.

    After losing out on Justin Blackmon in the first round when the Jaguars traded up one pick ahead of St. Louis' No. 6 spot to steal away the draft’s most coveted pass catcher, the Rams used their first pick of the evening on Appalachian State WR Brian Quick, a hopefully quick fix for a receiving corps in dire need of a reliable, big-play, downfield threat.

    While not as highly rated as LSU’s Rueben Randle or Georgia Tech’s Stephen Hill, Quick has tremendous upside with exceptional tools. He can make great adjustments in the air, has excellent hand-eye coordination and plays big. He also could possibly figure in the return mix, which would increase his value. The problem is the fact he played at the Division I-AA level and might need more time to develop than the Rams, quite frankly, can afford.

    Six picks later, new Rams GM Les Snead showed some gumption when he took a shot on North Alabama CB Janoris Jenkins, who was widely considered a first-round talent and also has considerable potential as a kick returner. But the problem with Jenkins that can’t be ignored are his multiple off-field arrests related to marijuana and, as PFW’s Nolan Nawrocki explained in his scouting report, Jenkins has “more red flags than May Day in Moscow.”

    While the Rams might have had more serious needs at other positions, holdover CBs Bradley Fletcher and Jerome Murphy are both coming off season-ending injuries with no guarantees they can regain their prior form. That Jenkins was also too much of a top-grade talent to pass up made the Rams’ second pick of the second round look even better than their first pick of the evening. A potential starting CB tandem of free-agent addition Cortland Finnegan and Jenkins could be a gigantic upgrade.

    Then Snead’s itchy trigger finger started acting up and the Rams made a slight trade down five spots to the 50th spot overall, adding a fifth-round pick from the Bears in the process.

    Enter Cincinnati RB Isaiah Pead, the first of what figures to be a couple of badly needed backups for workhorse Steven Jackson from this draft. Pead is considered a very quick, competitive back but also has some character issues.

    Did we mention that he, too, could return kicks?

    We are now, in addition to concluding that the Rams appear to have gotten a really nice return from their second-round investments, red flags notwithstanding.

    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!



  2. #2
    NJ Ramsfan1 is online now Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    new jersey
    Posts
    2,247
    Rep Power
    71

    Re: Rams get good return on second-round investments

    I'm not at all happy that with three of our first five picks the issue of "off field concerns" has come up. (Jenkins, Pead, Johnson). It is not necessary for us to have a team full of choirboys, but I do not want to have to root for a team full of scumbags either. It is disconcerting to me that we are resting our considerable hopes on guys who could let us down big time and set this franchise back yet again.

    I find it ironic that a lot of guys who showed this righteous outrage at Gregg Williams for running a bounty program and want him erased from having ever been hired by St. Louis now are singing the praises of picks in which issues of character are being raised.

  3. #3
    Fortuninerhater's Avatar
    Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    L.A., Ca.
    Posts
    2,627
    Rep Power
    37

    Re: Rams get good return on second-round investments

    Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    I'm not at all happy that with three of our first five picks the issue of "off field concerns" has come up. (Jenkins, Pead, Johnson). It is not necessary for us to have a team full of choirboys, but I do not want to have to root for a team full of scumbags either. It is disconcerting to me that we are resting our considerable hopes on guys who could let us down big time and set this franchise back yet again.

    I find it ironic that a lot of guys who showed this righteous outrage at Gregg Williams for running a bounty program and want him erased from having ever been hired by St. Louis now are singing the praises of picks in which issues of character are being raised.
    With all due respect NJ, we are 15 and 65 in our last 80. At this point, I want the best players we can find as long as they're not criminals. "So what," they have character concerns, millions of productive people go to work everyday with character concerns. All that matters is that they are on the field producing when they need to be.

    The way I see it is, we have nothing to lose. The choirboy method obviously blew up in our faces, I think it's time for a new approach.

    Also, I just don't see the correlation between these character concerns even remotely being in the same category as a coach suspended indefinitely for defiantly orchestrating and operating a bounty system, where players seek to injure other players.

  4. #4
    Bralidore(RAMMODE)'s Avatar
    Bralidore(RAMMODE) is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    1,149
    Rep Power
    22

    Re: Rams get good return on second-round investments

    Do you even know what the character concerns for Pead and Johnson are? A guy rides a bicycle with an alcohol buzz down an empty street gets pegged with "character concerns" these days.

    All of them are different and its hard to judge guys in bulk like that. Every case is diff.

    J. Jenkins concerns are legit imo though. Swinging for the fences with this one and honestly im hoping our coaching staff and locker room can help this guy grow up because his problem is maturity first and foremost.

    VERY immature from what ive seen in interviews and incidents

  5. #5
    NJ Ramsfan1 is online now Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    new jersey
    Posts
    2,247
    Rep Power
    71

    Re: Rams get good return on second-round investments

    Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    With all due respect NJ, we are 15 and 65 in our last 80. At this point, I want the best players we can find as long as they're not criminals. "So what," they have character concerns, millions of productive people go to work everyday with character concerns. All that matters is that they are on the field producing when they need to be.

    The way I see it is, we have nothing to lose. The choirboy method obviously blew up in our faces, I think it's time for a new approach.

    Also, I just don't see the correlation between these character concerns even remotely being in the same category as a coach suspended indefinitely for defiantly orchestrating and operating a bounty system, where players seek to injure other players.
    Well, I simply don't agree. Number one, as a coach myself, i can tell you in sports that character counts. Might sound corny, but it's true and I believe that with 100% of my being. Certainly you need talent, and you can't have a team with high character and no ability. By the same token, guys who are ***holes usually let you down. Number two, at 15-65 over three seasons, you don't pin the hopes of turning a franchise around on guys who are just as likely to let you down as be productive. When you are a good organization, you can take the occasional flyer on a problem or a malcontent (New England w/Randy Moss, for instance). We don't hvae that luxury yet. And three, the businessman who goes to work but cheats on his wife or the mechanic who goes to work and is a deadbeat dad are different animals than an NFL team who has gambled millions of dollars and the reputation of its franchise on guys with red flags.

    And there is PERFECT CORRELATION between the Gregg Williams situation and player character concerns. Both illustrate behavior which is unacceptable, and to justify one and not the other is hypocritical.

    I was leading the cheers of "Hire Jeff Fisher", so I trust the guy and assume he's done his due diligence. But I have more than a passing concern about what we've done here, and I won't apologize for that line of thinking.
    Last edited by NJ Ramsfan1; -04-28-2012 at 06:40 AM.
    RealRam likes this.

  6. #6
    Tampa_Ram's Avatar
    Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Bat Yam, Israel
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,954
    Rep Power
    30

    Re: Rams get good return on second-round investments

    Quote Originally Posted by Bralidore(RAMMODE) View Post
    Do you even know what the character concerns for Pead and Johnson are? A guy rides a bicycle with an alcohol buzz down an empty street gets pegged with "character concerns" these days.
    If thats a character concern, i must be Tony Montana.
    shower beers and sosa39rams like this.


  7. #7
    Fortuninerhater's Avatar
    Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    L.A., Ca.
    Posts
    2,627
    Rep Power
    37

    Re: Rams get good return on second-round investments

    Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    Well, I simply don't agree. Number one, as a coach myself, i can tell you in sports that character counts. Might sound corny, but it's true and I believe that with 100% of my being. Certainly you need talent, and you can't have a team with high character and no ability. By the same token, guys who are ***holes usually let you down. Number two, at 15-65 over three seasons, you don't pin the hopes of turning a franchise around on guys who are just as likely to let you down as be productive. When you are a good organization, you can take the occasional flyer on a problem or a malcontent (New England w/Randy Moss, for instance). We don't hvae that luxury yet. And three, the businessman who goes to work but cheats on his wife or the mechanic who goes to work and is a deadbeat dad are different animals than an NFL team who has gambled millions of dollars and the reputation of its franchise on guys with red flags.

    And there is PERFECT CORRELATION between the Gregg Williams situation and player character concerns. Both illustrate behavior which is unacceptable, and to justify one and not the other is hypocritical.

    I was leading the cheers of "Hire Jeff Fisher", so I trust the guy and assume he's done his due diligence. But I have more than a passing concern about what we've done here, and I won't apologize for that line of thinking.
    I am certainly not asking for an apology for your line of thinking (to each, his own). However, I still contend that these "character concerns" of immature (in most cases) young men, don't compare to a fully grown seasoned adult who's in a trusted position of authority and defiantly leads young men down a path of destruction (literally and figuratively).

    Say what you will, but this is apples and oranges to me.
    Last edited by Fortuninerhater; -04-29-2012 at 10:08 PM.

  8. #8
    shower beers's Avatar
    shower beers is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    3,045
    Rep Power
    59

    Re: Rams get good return on second-round investments

    I'm pretty excited with our picks, especially after reading about all the work and due diligence that went into the Jenkins pick. It wasn't on a whim. The guy agreed to counseling on Fisher's request BEFORE we took him. They sent an entire squad of people to dig up everything on him, and everyone said to take him. We turned our biggest weakness from last year into a major strength, with Finnegan on one side and some combination of Fletcher/Jenkins on the other (I would imagine). It allows us to bring Johnson along more slowly and to work he and Murhpy into the mix at a less-demanding pace.

    I would trust a staff of professionals who did an incredible amount of homework over bits and pieces from media outlets, who I can assure you did next to nothing like that.

    You can't tell me you don't get at least a little excited when picturing a secondary of Finnegan, Fletcher, Jenkins, Murphy, Johnson, and Gordy.

  9. #9
    mh-i's Avatar
    mh-i is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    CA
    Age
    55
    Posts
    1,248
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: Rams get good return on second-round investments

    "
    Then they followed that up with the selection of a couple of talented cornerbacks with potential character issues in Janoris Jenkins and Trumaine Johnson, which gives the Rams the rare distinction of being potentially the first team in NFL history to select two players in the same draft who have both been on the business end of a police stun gun."

    It looks like the Rams expanded their player search to county jail exercise yards.

  10. #10
    GhostlyJoe is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    2
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Rams get good return on second-round investments

    Quote Originally Posted by Bralidore(RAMMODE) View Post
    Do you even know what the character concerns for Pead and Johnson are? A guy rides a bicycle with an alcohol buzz down an empty street gets pegged with "character concerns" these days.

    All of them are different and its hard to judge guys in bulk like that. Every case is diff.

    J. Jenkins concerns are legit imo though. Swinging for the fences with this one and honestly im hoping our coaching staff and locker room can help this guy grow up because his problem is maturity first and foremost.

    VERY immature from what ive seen in interviews and incidents
    A quick search is coming up empty. What are their "character issues?" Jenkins is a concern. It's not the dope so much as the kids and the quotes I've read in several articles. Personally, though, I thinks it's better to draft for physical skills, which can't be taught, and apply good coaching.

  11. #11
    OldRamsfan's Avatar
    OldRamsfan is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Fort Mohave, AZ
    Posts
    886
    Rep Power
    12

    Re: Rams get good return on second-round investments

    let me say this ! Fisher will not stand for any stupid crap from his players , He has a long background in dealing with problem players and have made them play to their potential , I really think the small issues from the these players will be controlled . Fisher mentioned he had plans for each of them on and off the field , Plus Jax and others on our team will teach them .

  12. #12
    Goldenfleece's Avatar
    Goldenfleece is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    3,586
    Rep Power
    60

    Re: Rams get good return on second-round investments

    Quote Originally Posted by GhostlyJoe View Post
    A quick search is coming up empty. What are their "character issues?" Jenkins is a concern. It's not the dope so much as the kids and the quotes I've read in several articles. Personally, though, I thinks it's better to draft for physical skills, which can't be taught, and apply good coaching.
    I don't know about Pead, but Johnson reportedly got tased resisting arrest for disorderly conduct and obstructing a police officer and served a separate one game suspension for fighting outside a fraternity house. I also saw a reference to missing games due to "eligibility problems" on cbssportsline, which I assume is a reference to academic eligibility. Several scouting reports cite concerns about maturity and work ethic.

  13. #13
    Bearcat is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    cincinnati
    Posts
    1
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Rams get good return on second-round investments

    Hey guys bearcat fan here, just came to see what you guys thought of Pead, then I was shocked to see people saying he has character issues. What are these character issues, he is a tremendous kid with a great personality. Bearcat head football coach Butch Jones repeatedly talks about what a great kid Pead is and what a gifted talent he is, Jones holds him with great respect. Pead has been one of my favorite Bearcats to watch ever, he will contribute abundantly this coming year. Teams better prepare to get PEAD on!
    GROUND DOG 39 likes this.

  14. #14
    Goldenfleece's Avatar
    Goldenfleece is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    3,586
    Rep Power
    60

    Re: Rams get good return on second-round investments

    Quote Originally Posted by Bearcat View Post
    Hey guys bearcat fan here, just came to see what you guys thought of Pead, then I was shocked to see people saying he has character issues. What are these character issues, he is a tremendous kid with a great personality. Bearcat head football coach Butch Jones repeatedly talks about what a great kid Pead is and what a gifted talent he is, Jones holds him with great respect. Pead has been one of my favorite Bearcats to watch ever, he will contribute abundantly this coming year. Teams better prepare to get PEAD on!
    I think maybe people are getting him confused with some of our other picks, who range from maturity issues to criminal rap sheets. The consensus has generally been pretty positive on Pead.

  15. #15
    GROUND DOG 39's Avatar
    GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    MANCHESTER, U.K.
    Posts
    1,483
    Rep Power
    18

    Re: Rams get good return on second-round investments

    Quote Originally Posted by Bearcat View Post
    Hey guys bearcat fan here, just came to see what you guys thought of Pead, then I was shocked to see people saying he has character issues. What are these character issues, he is a tremendous kid with a great personality. Bearcat head football coach Butch Jones repeatedly talks about what a great kid Pead is and what a gifted talent he is, Jones holds him with great respect. Pead has been one of my favorite Bearcats to watch ever, he will contribute abundantly this coming year. Teams better prepare to get PEAD on!
    I fell in love for Pead the minute I watched a BearCats game last season. He is definitely one of the most natural football players Ive seen for quite some time. He reminds me a little of Matt Forte of the Bears, because of his vision and cutback running. Only Pead has got more speed at his disposal.
    GO RAMS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 5
    Last Post: -09-02-2010, 01:28 PM
  2. Replies: 27
    Last Post: -04-24-2009, 01:16 PM
  3. Any good offensive lineman in the 2nd round?
    By shroomysoup in forum DRAFT & FA
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: -01-31-2009, 06:53 PM
  4. Good fortune, good play define 4-1 Rams
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: -10-09-2006, 07:36 PM
  5. Replies: 4
    Last Post: -04-07-2006, 02:35 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •