Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Rams get good return on second-round investments

macrammer is offline Registered User

Re: Rams get good return on second-round investments

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    Well, I simply don't agree. Number one, as a coach myself, i can tell you in sports that character counts. Might sound corny, but it's true and I believe that with 100% of my being. Certainly you need talent, and you can't have a team with high character and no ability. By the same token, guys who are ***holes usually let you down. Number two, at 15-65 over three seasons, you don't pin the hopes of turning a franchise around on guys who are just as likely to let you down as be productive. When you are a good organization, you can take the occasional flyer on a problem or a malcontent (New England w/Randy Moss, for instance). We don't hvae that luxury yet. And three, the businessman who goes to work but cheats on his wife or the mechanic who goes to work and is a deadbeat dad are different animals than an NFL team who has gambled millions of dollars and the reputation of its franchise on guys with red flags.

And there is PERFECT CORRELATION between the Gregg Williams situation and player character concerns. Both illustrate behavior which is unacceptable, and to justify one and not the other is hypocritical.

I was leading the cheers of "Hire Jeff Fisher", so I trust the guy and assume he's done his due diligence. But I have more than a passing concern about what we've done here, and I won't apologize for that line of thinking.
    NJ, I hear ya and agree. I am not one to root for a playe ron my team that is a DBag. I don't like cha=eap shot artists either. I trust Fish but I too am concerned and will be holding our new coach accountable to not let this turn into the Raiders of the midwest. I am sure he knows what he ahs and what he is doing. Can't wait to see the on field product.

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

First of all, the Rams are 15-65 with all these "character" draft picks. Secondly, a minor drug bust in college doesn't constitute being a "scumbag". These guys didn't drag their girl down the steps like Lawrence Phillips, and the Rams people spent four or five days in Florida and Alabama on reearching Jenkins, all the way back to when he was a little boy according to Fisher. He said everyone they spoke to said "take him" as did Michael Irvin on TV.

As far as college guys who have been in fights, it's like Vermeil said , "Just make sure you take the guy that WON the fight".

In jenkins the Rams got a top 15 talent on a par with Claiborne, in round two. I guarantee if the Rams didn't get him, New England would have.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Rams get good return on second-round investments
    Posted April 27, 2012 @ 8:55 p.m. ET
    By Dan Arkush

Possessing three of the first 13 picks in the second round, including the first Friday-evening pick, the Rams quickly got down to business.

After losing out on Justin Blackmon in the first round when the Jaguars traded up one pick ahead of St. Louis' No. 6 spot to steal away the draft’s most coveted pass catcher, the Rams used their first pick of the evening on Appalachian State WR Brian Quick, a hopefully quick fix for a receiving corps in dire need of a reliable, big-play, downfield threat.

While not as highly rated as LSU’s Rueben Randle or Georgia Tech’s Stephen Hill, Quick has tremendous upside with exceptional tools. He can make great adjustments in the air, has excellent hand-eye coordination and plays big. He also could possibly figure in the return mix, which would increase his value. The problem is the fact he played at the Division I-AA level and might need more time to develop than the Rams, quite frankly, can afford.

Six picks later, new Rams GM Les Snead showed some gumption when he took a shot on North Alabama CB Janoris Jenkins, who was widely considered a first-round talent and also has considerable potential as a kick returner. But the problem with Jenkins that can’t be ignored are his multiple off-field arrests related to marijuana and, as PFW’s Nolan Nawrocki explained in his scouting report, Jenkins has “more red flags than May Day in Moscow.”

While the Rams might have had more serious needs at other positions, holdover CBs Bradley Fletcher and Jerome Murphy are both coming off season-ending injuries with no guarantees they can regain their prior form. That Jenkins was also too much of a top-grade talent to pass up made the Rams’ second pick of the second round look even better than their first pick of the evening. A potential starting CB tandem of free-agent addition Cortland Finnegan and Jenkins could be a gigantic upgrade.

Then Snead’s itchy trigger finger started acting up and the Rams made a slight trade down five spots to the 50th spot overall, adding a fifth-round pick from the Bears in the process.

Enter Cincinnati RB Isaiah Pead, the first of what figures to be a couple of badly needed backups for workhorse Steven Jackson from this draft. Pead is considered a very quick, competitive back but also has some character issues.

Did we mention that he, too, could return kicks?

We are now, in addition to concluding that the Rams appear to have gotten a really nice return from their second-round investments, red flags notwithstanding.
    Barry Waller

RealRam is offline Registered User

"Take him [Jenkins]" ... as did Michael Irvin on TV. -- BW
    Irvin? Y i k e s. LOL!

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Waller View Post
    First of all, the Rams are 15-65 with all these "character" draft picks. Secondly, a minor drug bust in college doesn't constitute being a "scumbag". These guys didn't drag their girl down the steps like Lawrence Phillips, and the Rams people spent four or five days in Florida and Alabama on reearching Jenkins, all the way back to when he was a little boy according to Fisher. He said everyone they spoke to said "take him" as did Michael Irvin on TV.

As far as college guys who have been in fights, it's like Vermeil said , "Just make sure you take the guy that WON the fight".

In jenkins the Rams got a top 15 talent on a par with Claiborne, in round two. I guarantee if the Rams didn't get him, New England would have.

You know, it's almost as if people read posts and just selectively read what they want to read then create straw men. NEVER ONCE have I ever implied that we should build a team full of character guys with zero talent. No coach or fan would endorse that. The idea is to build a winner with guys that are going to do things the right way and guys you'll be proud to root for. Win with class. How many freaking' times do I have to reiterate the basic point?? It really isn't difficult to understand. The league is FILLED with QUALITY guys who are ALSO winning, talented players. I want the Rams to be one of them. And as much as it makes me disgusted when the Rams lose football games, it makes me equally sick to hear people rationalize selling one's principles to win football games ("Drafting character guys has gotten us nowhere", "Gotta' get the best talent regardless of off-field stuff", etc.). What a crock.

What exactly is a "minor" drug bust?? One joint? One line of coke? Multiple instances where you've been caught smoking weed? I've done some stupid stuff in my life, but drug use isn't one of them.

Hey- I'm sure Fisher has completely vetted these players and hope and trust they'll help us. But he's rolled the dice on a couple of guys, and I don't feel a perennially bad team gets better by obtaining guys who are as good a bet to let you down as be productive players.

RyanFoster is offline Registered User

Sam Bradford, Chris Long, James Laurinaitis, Roger Saffold, and Cortland Finnegan are model citizens off the field so we do have a core of veterans who can lead these "troubled" rookies to do great things. Dont think that just cuz they had a few wild nights a couple years ago they are horrible hoodlums.

Jeff Fisher has a good staff and knows what he is doing and I really think you'll be eating your words about this later when they turn out just fine. Jenoris Jenkins' past is just that.....his past. now let the kid put on the Horns and show the NFCW whos boss

eric2810 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RyanFoster View Post
    Sam Bradford, Chris Long, James Laurinaitis, Roger Saffold, and Cortland Finnegan are model citizens off the field so we do have a core of veterans who can lead these "troubled" rookies to do greatthings.
    Agreed. However, alot of our core players you listed are still rather young and barely peaking their prime. With this draft we added talented skill players with minimal off the field concerns. With that being said, let's hope we can have a turnaround as did Tampa,Kansas City, and the ***** in recent years but it's not to be expected. Brockers development will make or break this draft.
    Last edited by eric2810; -04-29-2012 at 04:40 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12