eldfan is offline Registered User

Rams get preseason win over Chargers

By R.B. Fallstrom
    AP SPORTS WRITER
    08/16/2008

The San Diego Chargers' defense made some big stops against the St. Louis Rams despite missing more than half its starters.

The Rams won 7-6 on a touchdown run by Travis Minor with all backups on the field.

Antoine Cason and Cletus Gordon intercepted Marc Bulger on consecutive passes in the first quarter and the Chargers, who opened with reserves at six spots on defense, stopped St. Louis at the 2 in the second quarter Saturday night.

The Chargers opened with only three starters on offense, although some of those held out were injured.

The Rams' first unit has not scored a touchdown in three preseasons under coach Scott Linehan. Minor's 3-yard run in the third quarter was the game's lone touchdown.

The game drew a placid crowd of 53,039, about 15,000 shy of capacity and the franchise's worst since moving to the Midwest in 1995, and was blacked out on local television. The Rams, 3-13 last year, had three home games blacked out last season.

Both teams went without their featured back, the Chargers by design as usual to save LaDainian Tomlinson for the regular season and the Rams because Steven Jackson remains a holdout. San Diego also held out quarterback Philip Rivers, who played into the second quarter of San Diego's preseason opener.

Rivers, coming off knee surgery, led the Chargers to two touchdowns in three possessions last week in a 31-17 victory over the Cowboys to open the preseason. Backup Billy Volek got the start against the Rams. San Diego's biggest plays in Week 2 were returns of 53 yards by Cason and 16 by Gordon that set up short field goals by Nate Kaeding for a 6-0 halftime lead.

Without so many of their front-liners, the Chargers mustered little against a Rams defense that was gouged for 340 yards rushing in a 34-13 loss to the Titans last week. Volek was 5-for-7 for 58 yards and rookie Jacob Heater, starting in place of Tomlinson, had 59 yards on 12 carries.

Jackson, coming off his third straight 1,000-yard season, is seeking a new contract entering the final year of a deal he signed as a rookie in 2004. The Rams cut off negotiations on the first day of training camp until Jackson reports.

The Rams lost Bulger, too, after he was hit from behind by Jyles Tucker while preparing to pass in the final minute of the first half. The ball popped out of his hand for a fumble that was recovered by guard Jacob Bell. The team said Bulger's arm took the brunt of the hit but that he was OK.

The Rams' first-stringers came agonizingly close to reaching the end zone in the second quarter, making it to the 1 before getting pushed back and then denied after 17 plays covering 77 yards. Brian Leonard, one of Jackson's backups, was stopped for no gain from the 2 on a fourth-down swing pass.

Leonard, Jackson's backup last season, strained his left shoulder in the second half.

:ramlogo:

letsgoramz is offline Registered User

Re: Rams get preseason win over Chargers

leonard is weak jackson would of been into the endzone on that swing play on 4th down
    Torry Holt Dont play that

Keenum is offline Registered User

Bulger is starting to worry me, but let's hope he gets all this out of his system now. The defense looked a LOT better than last week, even if it was against backups.

A preseason win may not be anything to write home about, but I'd take a preseason win over a preseason loss any day.

StlRams09 Guest

Leonard's hurt? We need Jackson.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Letsgoramz View Post
    Leonard is weak. Jackson would have been into the endzone on that swing play on 4th down.
    Hmm, that I know, Leonard is a hard nose football player but, agreed, Jackson may have gone into the endzone via greater power and thrust.

See what you're missing Jax?

jkramsfan Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RealRam View Post
    Hmm, that I know, Leonard is a hard nose football player but, agreed, Jackson may have gone into the endzone via greater power and thrust.

See what you're missing Jax?
    I didn't see it but I think odds are Jackson gets in there,but there was improvement over the last game so to me a good day,oh and they won also.

RAMSTAR Guest

What was with all the missed catches by Drew Bennett....i cringed everytime they threw to him. Would have like to see more to Looker and others...