RamWraith is offline Registered User

Rams get ready to face the 'ultimate weapon'

Tomlinson is a multiple threat on offense
    BY STEVE KORTE
    News-Democrat
    ST. LOUIS - St. Louis Rams coach Scott Linehan referred to San Diego running back LaDainian Tomlinson as the "ultimate weapon" and compared him to Marshall Faulk.

Other Rams players simply say that Tomlinson is the best running back in the NFL.

"If you're a football fan, you know who No. 21 is," Rams defensive tackle La'Roi Glover said. "He's probably the best running back in the NFL. He's leading his team in receptions. That's a lot to be said for a running back. He's doing it all for them. He's throwing touchdown passes. He's blocking."

The Rams (4-2) will be trying to slow down Tomlinson when they play the San Diego Chargers (4-2) at 3:05 p.m. Sunday at Qualcomm Stadium.

"With him, you have to get 11 people to the ball because he's going to make the first guy miss regardless, but if you have 11 people getting to the ball to gang tackle him, we can try to slow him down a little bit," Rams defensive end Leonard Little said. "If we don't have people running to the ball and he's breaking tackles and getting loose, it's going to be a long game for us."

Tomlinson has rushed for 1,200 or more yards and 10 or more touchdowns in each of his five previous seasons in the NFL.

He's rushed for 473 yards and seven touchdowns this season along with 32 receptions for 246 yards and one touchdown. He threw a 1-yard touchdown pass to tight end Brandon Manumaleuna in the fourth quarter of the Chargers' 30-27 loss to the Kansas City Chiefs last Sunday.

"I guess the question is what doesn't he do well, and I haven't found out," Linehan said. "You talk about running backs in this league, and you start with their ability to run the ball, then their ability to be receivers out of the backfield, then you move on to how they protect the quarterback and what kind of leader they are for their team. I think he's probably as complete of a back that there is in recent memory in this entire league. He is certainly an MVP candidate every year, a little bit like in Marshall's (Faulk) prime. He's a similar type of impact player."

Tomlinson has actually thrown five touchdown passes in his career.

"There are guys that have played 10 years in this league as backup quarterbacks that haven't thrown five touchdown passes," Linehan said. "Ultimate weapon is a pretty good way to describe him."

Tomlinson said his passing skills go back to his days in junior high.

"I played a little quarterback when I was younger, junior high mostly," Tomlinson said. "I was a backup when I was a freshman in high school, but that was the only time I played quarterback."

Tomlinson needs 166 rushing yards to become only the eighth player in NFL history to reach 8,000 rushing yards in fewer than 90 games.

Five of the previous seven to accomplish the feat have been inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame. That list includes Eric Dickerson, Jim Brown, Earl Campbell, Barry Sanders and Walter Payton.

"Many would say I'm biased, but I believe he's the best I've ever seen," Chargers coach Marty Schottenheimer said. "The beginning of my familiarity with running backs probably goes back basically to Jim Brown. For a number of years here in San Diego, I used to say he was one of the best, and here about two, three years ago, I said lets forget the play on words. I think he's the best running back I've ever seen."

Tomlinson said he grew up idolizing Payton, Sanders and Emmitt Smith, who is also on the list.

"I wanted to be a running back because of Walter Payton," Tomlinson said. "At 6 years old, I'm watching him and really enjoying what he did. That's when I wanted to be a running back. I also watched Emmitt Smith and Barry Sanders. They were my two favorite runners."

The Rams have allowed three 100-yard rushers -- San Francisco's Frank Gore, Green Bay's Noah Herron and Denver's Tatum Bell -- in six games this season.

Tomlinson has rushed for 100 yards in only one game this season, and that was the Chargers' season-opening win over Oakland.

"We just have to keep it going," Rams defensive tackle Jimmy Kennedy said Tomlinson's five-game streak without 100 yards. "He knows he hasn't had a 100-yard game, and that's what he's probably going to try to come out and do against us. We don't want to be the team that gives it up."

RealRam is offline Registered User

Re: Rams get ready to face the 'ultimate weapon'

One word -- YIKES. :x

Biggest, baddest challenge for our defense thus far in the season, i.e., going against The Ultimate Weapon. // I hope our offense is up and running, up and ready to score points gallore Vs. San Diego.

sprtsmac is offline Registered User

He hasn't had more than one 100 yard game because Marty is having him split the carries with Turner. Hopefully Marty will keep on doing that and our defense will hold up.
    Sprtsmac :football:

Dr. Defense is offline Registered User

I don't care how many yards or carries or receptions he has. The fact is that when he steps onto that field he becomes the ultimate weapon. If your not ready for him then he will make you look like an idiot. He's also great for time management. You can hand him the ball 3 straight times and he will get you the first down. Watch for them to use the running game to keep our offense off the field and our defense on it. I think that if we can contain him, then we can put all the pressure on Rivers. With the amount of picks we have, I see no reason why if we can pressure him we can't get picks.

laram0 is online now Superbowl MVP

Yeah well the Chargers are going to get a taste of our Ultimate Weapon. Steven Jackson should be pumped up to go against LT. Larry Johnson of the Chiefs had a nice game against the Chargers defense. There's no reason Jackson can't do well also.

MadMadigan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Defense View Post
    I don't care how many yards or carries or receptions he has. The fact is that when he steps onto that field he becomes the ultimate weapon. If your not ready for him then he will make you look like an idiot. He's also great for time management. You can hand him the ball 3 straight times and he will get you the first down. Watch for them to use the running game to keep our offense off the field and our defense on it. I think that if we can contain him, then we can put all the pressure on Rivers. With the amount of picks we have, I see no reason why if we can pressure him we can't get picks.
    He hasn't had alot of carries because were using him to exploit defences, and we will continue to until our adverseries figure it out.

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

I think we should sign Chuck Norris. He could stop him.

But seriously, I don't care how well our offense does against a weakend SD defense, if LT has a breakout game (which he is due to have), we could be in serious trouble.