r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Rams' Gibson Returning To Action

Rams' Gibson returning to action

BY DAN O'NEILL
    August 22, 2012

With a new coaching staff in place and lots of promising young players in camp, most people around the Rams these days are humming the Fleetwood Mac song. You know how it goes, "Don't stop, thinking about tomorrow ... yesterday's gone, yesterday's gone."

But Brandon Gibson is back at practice this week to remind people that yesterday is not entirely gone, i.e. don't stop thinking about him.

Gibson is approaching his fourth season with the Rams. He was acquired during the 2009 campaign, then caught 53 passes in 2010, developing some chemistry with rookie quarterback Sam Bradford. Along with Bradford's numbers and the entire offense, Gibson's contributions eroded somewhat last season. In 15 games, and nine starts, he caught 36 passes.

The new regime has tried to improve the receiving department, signing veteran Steve Smith, spending early draft picks on receivers Brian Quick and Chris Givens, bringing a posse of potential pass chasers to Earth City. Currently, there are 12 wideouts on hand.

Gibson generally was considered a favorite to keep a job, before he started missing practices with a hamstring injury. He did not play in the first exhibition, a hideous loss at Indianapolis. And he did not play on Saturday against the Chiefs, a 31-17 windfall.

Let's go to the tote board: Quick has four receptions, Danny Amendola four, Givens three, Smith three, Austin Pettis three, Nick Johnson two and Gibson might have some bunions from standing so long on the sidelines.

But on Monday, Gibby was a pass-catching fool, rekindling his relationship with Slingin' Sammie Bradford and reclaiming lost territory.

"I think Sam and I have chemistry," said Gibson, who turned 25 on Aug. 13. "I think he has confidence in me. I know I have all the confidence in the world in him and I just want to make sure I'm in the right spot when he calls my number."

Gibson did individual work on Tuesday, not participating in the team scrimmaging. But it was strictly an ounce of prevention. "Yeah, we backed him down a little bit, he was sore (after Monday)," coach Jeff Fisher said. "No issues there. He moved around pretty good (in individual drills)."

Gibson acknowledges the crowd at his position right now, which features several more applicants than employment opportunities. Everyone is focused on getting one of those jobs, but everyone also is focused on making the Rams better. That means making each other better.

The former Washington State star knows what it's like. He was a sixth-round pick of the Philadelphia Eagles in 2009, the 194th player drafted. He has been more than willing to offer advice and help the younger players get an NFL foothold.

"They have questions, we all try to help each other," Gibson said. "It's a very friendly group. We understand the group is full of competition at each spot. We just want to push each other and make sure everyone is out there giving 100 percent."

That said, let's be honest. It's felt good to be back.

"I hate not being on the field," he said. "I like practicing, like playing, like being out with the guys. That's what I want to be doing."

HULL'S HITS

Softball power hitter Josh Hull, who clobbered some tape-measure shots in Fisher's Celebrity Softball Game a few weeks back, captured some respect for the linebacker corps on Saturday. In a loss to the Colts a week earlier, the top four tacklers for the Rams were defensive backs.

Oh, the humanity!

But Hull had four solos in Saturday's victory over Kansas City, matching the pace of cornerback Janoris Jenkins, who added an assist for five tackles overall. Two other linebackers made their presence felt. Rocky McIntosh had three tackles, including a sack, and Jo-Lunn Dunbar continued to make ripples with three tackles.

AMENDOLA SCRAP

The first true skirmish of camp took place on Tuesday, as the spirited Amendola got into it with rookie Jenkins. Things got heated and were briefly re-visited before peace prevailed. Amendola also endeared himself to a group of Washington University football players on hand, tossing a football into their midst after a long reception.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Re: Rams' Gibson Returning To Action

Let's go to the tote board: Quick has four receptions, Danny Amendola four, Givens three, Smith three, Austin Pettis three, Nick Johnson two and Gibson might have some bunions from standing so long on the sidelines.

Salas two.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post

Salas two.
    Gibson definitely has some work to do.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Gibson definitely has some work to do.
    I think Gibby got the leg up on Salas due to the chemistry he has with Bradford. I think if we had a poll on the Clan as to who we should keep. I think it would be a land slide for Salas. But I'm not sure it will play out that way. Pettis has worked with the ones in games, Salas has not. Lets see when Gibby gets playing time this week... will it be before Pettis and Salas?

I think both Pettis and Salas have been playing special teams, might help.