Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    chipperjones is offline Registered User

Rams grab Pittman

Rams grab ex-Ohio State star Pittman on waivers
    By Jim Thomas
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    09/02/2007

As the 2007 draft unfolded in April, many Rams fans and draftniks thought the team should have selected running back Antonio Pittman of Ohio State.

That didn't happen -- the Rams selected running back-fullback Brian Leonard of Rutgers in the second round.

But the Rams have ended up with Pittman anyway, claiming him on waivers Sunday from the New Orleans Saints. To make room for Pittman, the Rams placed running back Rich Alexis on waivers.

Cincinnati also put in a claim on Pittman, but the Rams were awarded his services because of a poorer record than the Bengals in '06. (Actually both teams finished 8-8, but the Rams got Pittman on the tie-breaker -- an easier strength of schedule.)
    Advertisement
    PIttman, 5-11, 207 pounds, was a fourth-round draft pick by the Saints. At Ohio State, he led the Buckeyes in rushing in both the '05 and '06 seasons.

He had seven 100-yard rushing games last season, including 139 against arch-rival Michigan. He turned pro after his junior season.

Also on Sunday:

The Rams added quarterback Brock Berlin, plus at least three members of their 2007 draft class, to their practice squad.

Fifth-rounder Dustin Fry, a center; plus seventh-rounders Keith Jackson (defensive tackle) and Derek Stanley (wide receiver) will be part of the eight-man practice squad. Members of the practice squad work out with the team during the week but cannot play in games.

The Rams kept only two quarterbacks on their active roster, Marc Bulger and Gus Frerotte, so signing Berlin was a necessity to help the team get through practice during the week.

Meanwhile, free-agent defensive end Simeon Rice, who visited Rams Park on Friday but left without a contract, is visiting Denver Sunday.

RealRam is online now Registered User

Re: Rams grab Pittman

Hmm. Interesting. I'm certainly /definitely fine with this! :r

...Provided room was made for Pittman by placing Alexis on waivers. Now, excuse for bringing up a different name here but if Alexis can go to waivers, so can Byrd.

Thanks Chipper.

Country is offline Registered User

I don't really understand this move because the Rams have good depth at RB. I would have preffered to put a claim in on a S or LB that can come in and play.

general counsel is offline Registered User

country, i hear you loud and clear at safety, i dont think much of carter. why do you think we need more depth at linebacker. I dont see us getting better at that spot right now.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Country View Post
    I don't really understand this move because the Rams have good depth at RB. I would have preffered to put a claim in on a S or LB that can come in and play.
    Depth at running back? Steven Jackson and an unproven rookie?

I like this move alot.

Quote Originally Posted by Laram0 View Post
    Depth at running back? Steven Jackson and an unproven rookie?

I like this move alot.

:r That's what I'm talking about. Well said. Me too likeeee.

For your perusal. NFL Draft Countdown (several weeks ago):

Positives

Excellent timed speed and has a burst...Tough and plays bigger than he is...Was very productive and he got better every year...A natural runner with outstanding patience...Is able to run effectively inside or outside...Nifty, has good balance and does not go down easily...A big play threat who can take it the distance...Showed good hands and pass catching potential in limited chances...A solid effort blocker.

Negatives

Does not have the ideal bulk that you look for and may need to gain weight...Raw and unpolished as a receiver...Only an average blocker and may not have a lot of upside there...He may not be able to withstand carrying the load at the pro level.

Another good reference here on AP (fine video except fot the Rap -- I despise Rap [sorry]).

This youngster may be raw but seems to have the right instincts and desire. I welcome his place in the 53 man roster to share the running game load even more:

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMhonqcbXv8

PS: please let me know if the link above works. I can't get it to connect from here. Why? :-( Help.
    Last edited by RealRam; -09-02-2007 at 08:33 PM. Reason: PS added

chipperjones is offline Registered User

I'm still confused why the Saints drafted him so high when they already had Deuce and Bush.

Chipper, were you able get the link to work. :x ...Post #7.

Drew is offline Registered User

I clicked on the link RealRam and it didnt work for me....i dont know how to do it myself,sorry...

mikhal5569 is offline Registered User

This is a GREAT pick up! You can never have too much depth at any position. Now it's time go out and get a good OT and a CB.
    p.s.
    I couldn't get the rams link to work realram.

MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by RealRam View Post
    Another good reference here on AP (fine video except fot the Rap -- I despise Rap [sorry]).

This youngster may be raw but seems to have the right instincts and desire. I welcome his place in the 53 man roster to share the running game load even more:

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMhonqcbXv8

PS: please let me know if the link above works. I can't get it to connect from here. Why? :-( Help.
    If you don't like "rap" (I hate it too) try this one:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jvox1cKGzo8

Rambos is online now Registered User

By Bob Heist/The Daily Advertiser

METAIRIE - During the first day of the NFL draft, Saints Executive Vice President and General Manager Mickey Loomis said the only position the team wouldn't concentrate on was running back. And that made perfect sense with Deuce McAllister and Reggie Bush forming one of the league's most potent backfields.

So imagine the surprise when the Saints traded up this morning to take Ohio State running back Antonio Pittman with the eighth pick of the fourth round.

Sitting with the 24th and 26th picks in the fourth round, the Saints sent the first of those selections, plus the 26th pick in Round 5, to Houston to grab Pittman.

During his career at Ohio State, Pittman - 5-foot-10, 207 pounds - rushed for over 100 yards 14 times in 35 games. A starter the last two seasons, Pittman rushed for 1,331 yards in 2005 and 1,233 yards in 2006.

RamsSB99 is offline Registered User

I like the pickup I think he will be a great #3 RB behind Jackson and Leonard. He has great speed, elusive, keeps his feet moving and has good vision. The negatives would be size and if he can hold up with that size in blocking and taking hits. I still think he is a great #3 RB for the Rams.

RedArcher7 is offline Registered User

Depth at running back? We have Steven Jackson, an unproven rookie, and now another unproven rookie, I don't know if this is a step up. It's only the third string running back....I'd also would have liked to see something else at safety. I don't care for anyone back there.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast