Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    RealRam is offline Registered User

Re: Rams grab Pittman

Quote Originally Posted by RamsSB99 View Post
    I like the pickup, I think he will be a great #3 RB behind Jackson and Leonard. He has great speed, elusive, keeps his feet moving and has good vision. The negatives would be size and if he can hold up with that size in blocking and taking hits. I still think he is a great #3 RB for the Rams.

:bash: Agree completely!

AP is an upgrade to the RBs we had just yesterday.

Size? There are, and have been, highly successful RBs in the NFL right at -- even right under -- 5' 10".*

Pittman is more at 5-11+, 200 lbs., not 5-10 and, being only 21 yrs. old, I wouldn't be surprised if he makes an even 72 inches (with all the athletic nutrition and programs these players go through).

72" = 6' 0".

Thanks for the link Maui! Talk about loaded w/highlights! :O

Antonio Pittman runs hard and seems to have a nose for the end zone as well as for the 1st and 10 yard marker! I would say he's considerably quicker than Leonard but, no ... not that he may be a better RB than BL. As as we've mentioned nonetheless, he may be VERY useful to compliment the Rams running a little wild and a lot more productive in 2007.

Wild Rams: Jax. Leonard. Pittman. Watch out.

* - Consider these RBs at 5-10 or smaller. I am certainly not saying that Pittman is or will be like them but ... well, you get the picture.

Marshall Faulk, 5-10 215. Thank you Clan for still honoring MF here w/ side bar pics!

Dick Bass, 5-10 200.
    Michael Bennett, 5-9 210.
    Warrick Dunn, 5-9 190.
    Mike Garrett, 5-9 200.
    Priest Holmes, 5-9 210.
    Floyd Little, 5-10 200.
    Barry Sanders, 5-9 205. True phenomenon, 1 in a 1000 RB's.
    Emmitt Smith, 5-10 215.
    LaDainian Tomlinson, 5-10, 220. Another 1 in a 1000!

Et cetera.
    Last edited by RealRam; -09-03-2007 at 12:53 AM. Reason: Spelling bee + RB list

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Very good move. Thumbs up.

Antonio Pittman-RB- Rams Sep. 2 - 8:19 pm et

Rams claimed RB Antonio Pittman off waivers from New Orleans.

Pittman could emerge as a threat to current backup Brian Leonard's carries. Pittman has a lot to prove after getting cut as a fourth-round pick, but could allow Leonard to focus more on fullback if he picks things up quickly. He'll need to work on his pass protection to challenge Leonard for handcuff status.

Source: From RotoWorld.com and they in turn from St. Louis Post-Dispatch

No. I don't believe AP will cause any 2nd / 3rd RB "controversy" in our midst. But I do sustain that this new acquisition will make the Rams horns on offense a bit larger, a bit harder, a bit more threatening.

I'm starting to reeeeeally like this new tool in our arsenal.

Yes. :bash:

Here's hoping that young Antonio will find a good home with the Rams and totally justify his leaving Ohio State as a Junior.
    Last edited by RealRam; -09-02-2007 at 11:42 PM. Reason: Format

Keenum is offline Registered User

I won't argue with it, although I'd love to see more depth to our defense.
    I still think a possible trade is in the works, since we have all those TEs and stuff.
    And if Cincy wanted Pittman so bad... we may could make a tempting trade offer to them...

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Did I miss Travis Minor being cut? Because if he's still on the team, I would think that makes Pittman the #4 RB, not third.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Did I miss Travis Minor being cut? Because if he's still on the team, I would think that makes Pittman the #4 RB, not third.

Doh! Back to the drawing board. :x

blood85 is offline Registered User

Like some of you, I also thought we were ok at the RB spot and should have made room for another defensive player.

Tony Soprano is offline Registered User

He certainly disappointed in N.O. I think he had 2 yards per carry.

I am concerned with our Tight Ends (after McMichael). I don't know if Klop or Byrd will
    ever turn out to be good players.

Dan in Lafayett is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by chipperjones View Post
    I'm still confused why the Saints drafted him so high when they already had Deuce and Bush.
    I think it's because Deuce and Reggie accounted for about 48% of the Saints offense in 2006. Losing either one of them would be a significant hit to the offense and we had no real quality backup. The Saints also tried to trade up to get Michael Bush who was selected with the first pick of the 4th round, and had to settle for Pittman a little later in the round when they traded up with Houston.

Naturally Pittman was disappointed to be drafted by the Saints and it showed with his attitude early on at camp. The Saints were also disappointed with his training camp and pre-season performance. He has limited blocking skills and was responsible for at least three sacks. After he gave up one of them, Payton shouted at him on the sidelines, "I can't play you. I can't play you." He was never asked to block much or play special teams at Ohio St. Running the ball, Pittman had a decent pre-season and I think led the Saints in rushing. He was beat out though by undrafted FA Pierre Thomas from Illinois, who proved to be quite a nifty runner and a solid contributor on special teams.

Pittman probably should not have come out early. I think a change of location will do him good as for the first time in his life he has tasted failure. Like many college players who were the big men on campus, the NFL can humble them quickly.

It's been a while since I visited ClanRam. I still miss being in the same division with you guys.
    Dan
    SaintsReport.com

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Dan in Lafayett View Post
    I think it's because Deuce and Reggie accounted for about 48% of the Saints offense in 2006. Losing either one of them would be a significant hit to the offense and we had no real quality backup. The Saints also tried to trade up to get Michael Bush who was selected with the first pick of the 4th round, and had to settle for Pittman a little later in the round when they traded up with Houston.

Naturally Pittman was disappointed to be drafted by the Saints and it showed with his attitude early on at camp. The Saints were also disappointed with his training camp and pre-season performance. He has limited blocking skills and was responsible for at least three sacks. After he gave up one of them, Payton shouted at him on the sidelines, "I can't play you. I can't play you." He was never asked to block much or play special teams at Ohio St. Running the ball, Pittman had a decent pre-season and I think led the Saints in rushing. He was beat out though by undrafted FA Pierre Thomas from Illinois, who proved to be quite a nifty runner and a solid contributor on special teams.

Pittman probably should not have come out early. I think a change of location will do him good as for the first time in his life he has tasted failure. Like many college players who were the big men on campus, the NFL can humble them quickly.

It's been a while since I visited ClanRam. I still miss being in the same division with you guys.
    Thanks for stopping by Dan, and thanks for the info.
    Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce
    The backhanded compliments about Austin Davis are amusing.

general counsel is offline Registered User

dan, thats great info and unfortunately, it doesnt make me feel very good. If pittman had problems dealing with being behind bush and mcalister in saintsville, how is he going to feel buried behind jackson and leonard in st louis. If he cant block or play special teams, i dont see him contributing a thing to our team.

Hard for me to see how pittman is worth more to us on the roster than alston and thats really an apples to apples comparison since they are taking up the same roster spot. I felt the same way when we cut alston to keep alexis, who could at least play special teams.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Thanks Dan for your visit and info / commentary on AP.

As I mentioned ealier, I hope this good but green RB finds a home with us and develops / matures as an NFL player. His talent is quite evident -- let's see if we can make him produce as he did at Ohio State! Well, partially, being a depth man.

I still feel very glad we were able to snatch him.

Tony Soprano is offline Registered User

That's my understanding - he really struggles when he is called to block, and he is not a physical player.

It's very hard for me to believe that Jon Alston wouldn't be a good contributor on special teams.

Klop showed how he struggled blocking in the pre-season, how many of these guys are practical to have on the field?

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Soprano View Post
    ...He is not a physical player.
    Oh, I don't know, Tony. Please look -- or look again -- at the video, the one provided by MauiRam (post #12).

There are several plays that I believe clearly display some rather physical 'umph' and force by Pitman as he tries to push through and break through some tackles ... and actually does more than once!

To me, those runs were fueled by a strong, high performance, determined, and enthusiastic RB. // True, he is a green and raw rookie. Has shown very, very little in the NFL with the Saints and the little he put forth is questionable. ...But I have a good "feeling" about this being a new opportunity for him with the Rams that he will want to take by the horns and run with it, even as a backup.

I really think AP is an upgrade in our RB weapons system. :r

We'll find out in the next few weeks!

[Antonio young man, I'm rooting for you. Learn and GO FOR IT!]

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I was thinking the same thing, what happened to him?

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast