throwback week

RamWraith is offline Registered User

Rams Green likes his sack time

Defensive end wants to be noticed on field

BY STEVE KORTE

News-Democrat

ST. LOUIS - St. Louis Rams defensive end Brandon Green knows sacks are the measuring stick for players at his position.

"As any defensive end, it is the only thing you can get noticed for," Green said. "You can make 1,000 tackles against the run, but nobody ever sees that. It's your only time to go out and strut around the field."

Green got to strut his stuff in the Rams' 17-13 preseason win over the Chicago Bears on Friday.

Green had one sack -- tackling quarterback Kyle Orton for a six-yard loss in the fourth quarter -- against the Bears. He nearly got two more sacks in the closing minutes as he pressured Bears quarterback Kurt Kittner into an incomplete pass and a intentional grounding penalty.

"The situation is what makes it the most fun for me," Green said. "When it really counts at the end of the game when they are trying to drive and put points on the board to win. It feels really good to stop them."

Rams coach Mike Martz took notice of Green's performance.

"He's making a big push for a backup job," Martz said. "He's a little more athletic than what we thought. This was a terrific get for us."

The 6-foot-3, 264-pound Green missed all of his rookie season with the Jacksonville Jaguars due to a fractured kneecap. He returned to play in three games last season, but then reinjured his knee and missed the rest of the season.

Green was the all-time sack leader at Rice University with 25 sacks, topping the mark of 209 sacks by N.D. Kalu.

Green has Type One juvenile diabetes. He said he checked his blood-sugar level about eight times within 90 minutes of the opening kickoff against the Bears.

"I was running a little bit high," Green said. "I had to keep checking it, and I didn't have any Gatorade, just water. My mouth gets dry when my blood sugar gets high, so I have to make sure I keep plenty of water in me and just keep playing."

Chillar could miss 2-3 weeks

Linebacker Brandon Chillar's shoulder injury isn't as serious as the Rams had feared.

The Rams were concerned that Chillar had seriously injured the rotator cuff in his shoulder.

"We had real good news on Brandon," Martz said. "He had some inflammation in there. We're relieved that we're going to have him. We were really frightened that he might have damaged it somehow."

Martz said Chillar still will be sidelined 2-3 weeks.

"We going to hold him out past what he would like, I'm sure," Martz said. I want to sure the strength in that shoulder is back up to where it needs to be."

Other players who sat out practice on Tuesday included linebacker Louis Ayeni (calf) and defensive tackle Ryan Pickett (groin).

Martz said he hoped to see Pickett back practicing in two or three days.

Running back Dusty McGrorty, who has been sidelined with a knee injury since the second day of training camp, was back on the practice field on Wednesday.

Making the rounds

Blaine Saipai has been Mr. Versatility on the Rams' offensive line during training camp as he's played every position except center. He worked at left guard with the starting unit during practice on Tuesday afternoon.

"That's a credit to him," Martz said. "He's a guy we can put outside on the right or the left, but ultimately he's a guard. We know that. He really excels at guard."

Martz said the 6-foot-3, 310-pound isn't physically suited to playing tackle.

"He does fine out there at tackle, but he doesn't have the body type with the big reach and all (those things) that you are looking for," Martz said. "I think he has great potential as a guard. I've been very pleased with his development so far."

RamsFan16 Guest

Re: Rams Green likes his sack time

I am excited about this. I can't wait