View Poll Results: Would you want the Rams to appear on HBO's "Hard Knocks"?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! It would be must-see-TV!!!

29 59.18%
  • No! We don't need our dirty laundry aired!

20 40.82%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Rams a "Hard Knocks" Finalist: Do you hope they are selected?

MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Re: Rams a "Hard Knocks" Finalist: Do you hope they are selected?

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    If none of the teams volunteer, the NFL can apparently assign the role to a team of its choosing.
    That is great news! Goodell won't mess with Stan, so we would likely be safe in that event. However, I would love Rodger Dodger to bestow this award to say: Seasquawks, or whiners, or perhaps best of all - the Patsies. How sweet would that be. Can you imagine the look on Billy Bellyache's face when hearing the news? Trouble is, I doubt Goody would mess with Bob Kraft either.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

I have mixed emotions on this. I do watch Hardknocks and really enjot it. Having our RAMS being the team selected for the show would enhance my interest. Then on the other hand "if" it is infact a distraction for our young team as some have suggested in this thread, then I say no.

macrammer is offline Registered User

I do like this show but I think it is not for the Rams right now. While it would be interesting to hear and see about them, I am looking for no excuses next year to finally turn the corner and get a winning record. I say just stay focused on the task at hand.
    MauiRam likes this.

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP

I would like to read people's rationale as to why this is a "distraction" - specifically.
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

macrammer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by VegasRam View Post
    I would like to read people's rationale as to why this is a "distraction" - specifically.
    From my perspective, I see a very young team and at times, I was not thrilled with some of the trash talking/asinine penalties I witnessed on the field. I think having TV cameras in front of you can exacerbate a "me" attitude and take away from the team aspect. This group needs to stay focused on the team part and get to the point where their growth is not impeded by outside interests....I am much more interested in a winning season that culminates in post season play then seeing them on the HBO series. Perhaps both can happen. But I know the former has not for 10 years.
    evil disco man and thoey like this.

Okay - but I disagree with the supposition that the fact that they're being filmed, (which practices already are btw), encourages (more) trash-talking, and detracts from team unity.

Also, little bit of a leap to say "more interested in post season play than watching them on hard knocks" - so am I, but they are hardly mutually exclusive.

The former hasn't happened because they haven't been on "Hard Knocks". JK

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

I think Hardknocks should film the ClanRam....
    Torry Holt and macrammer like this.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

In the first 4 seasons of the show, the spotlight team did not get more wins in the season of their show. The 2001 Ravens won 2 less games; 2002 Cowboys stayed even; 2007 Chiefs won 5 less; and the 2008 Cowboys won 4 less. Yikes!

However, in the most recent 4 seasons, the spotlight team has improved upon their previous season. The 2009 Bengals won 6 more games; the 2010 Jets won 2 more games; the 2012 Dolphins won 1 more game; and the 2013 Bengals won 1 more game.

So what does that tell us about this show being a distraction? Absolutely nothing.
    citr92 likes this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

The insight would be entertaining, but training camp isn't supposed to be a reality TV entertainment venue. I've worked around several film/TV crews, and with all the activity, they get in the way and make you change your routine. There are already enough distractions, and adding a film crew with major access to everything, and producers constantly looking to get something "on-air" worthy, not only takes player concentration off the job at hand, but makes everybody try to act like a TV star. We don't need that. We also don't need a lot of exposure, and all that goes with it. We need to fly under the radar, get disciplined, and surprise everyone. No thanks.

Besides, I cancelled HBO.
    macrammer and mde8352gorams like this.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

No It's a distraction. I don't care what the historical performance is of teams who've participated. This off-season is too important for us to get involved with another money making venture for the NFL. Besides do you really think Jeff Fisher will permit anything that can be advantageous to another team get taped. He won't even treat the pre-season seriously, about which I'm not sure I agree with him.

Go Rams!
    r8rh8rmike likes this.

MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    The insight would be entertaining, but training camp isn't supposed to be a reality TV entertainment venue. I've worked around several film/TV crews, and with all the activity, they get in the way and make you change your routine. There are already enough distractions, and adding a film crew with major access to everything, and producers constantly looking to get something "on-air" worthy, not only takes player concentration off the job at hand, but makes everybody try to act like a TV star. We don't need that. We also don't need a lot of exposure, and all that goes with it. We need to fly under the radar, get disciplined, and surprise everyone. No thanks.

Besides, I cancelled HBO.
    Vegas, Mike is spot on here. I don't want to expound on my own experience with tv/movie crews etc. Suffice it to say I've had a great deal of it (over 20 years in all) prior to moving to Maui. Believe me, it would be a huge distraction. Don't think for a minute that these young testosterone filled athletes won't be thinking about how they look, sound, and come off on screen in general. It can really open up a Pandora's box. The Rams will be far better off just sticking to football and trying to improve overall as a team.
    macrammer likes this.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Besides, I cancelled HBO... that sums it up.

thoey is offline Registered User

On one hand, I don't have HBO and have never seen the show. The only thing I know of it is what I hear from ESPN radio, and all I hear there is bad things that should not have left the locker room. For that reason, I would say no.

On the other hand, seeing a weekly show dedicated to our Rams would be great.

Torn...
    This space for rent...

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    Vegas, Mike is spot on here. I don't want to expound on my own experience with tv/movie crews etc. Suffice it to say I've had a great deal of it (over 20 years in all) prior to moving to Maui. Believe me, it would be a huge distraction. Don't think for a minute that these young testosterone filled athletes won't be thinking about how they look, sound, and come off on screen in general. It can really open up a Pandora's box. The Rams will be far better off just sticking to football and trying to improve overall as a team.
    Can't disagree with anything said, especially given your direct experience, except to liken it to the hole in the ozone. Is it 100' in diameter, or 100 miles. Probably makes a difference.

Are there cameras in everybody's face every second of every practice on every day?

I don't buy the "all they care about is preening" as being gospel either.

In a nutshell, positing that if you like the idea of hard knocks, you can kiss training camp (and by extension the season), good bye is a bit simplistic.

On the other hand, I just like to argue.

(I'd also like to take this opportunity to thank Hub for clarifying things).
    r8rh8rmike likes this.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

In a nutshell, positing that if you like the idea of hard knocks, you can kiss training camp (and by extension the season), good bye is a bit simplistic.
    I would agree, but I didn't see anyone say that. Rather, it was pointed out that there are issues in dealing with intrusive film crews. Again, I have a lot of experience working at a facility where film crews were a regular thing to deal with, and at first, it's exciting, but soon it evolves into a major pain in the ass, and a distraction.

Hard Knocks isn't a few guys lurking in the background filming stuff, it's a full TV series production crew, getting up close and personal, and interjecting themselves into all aspects of training camp, and everyone there for several weeks.

Sure, it's not a certainty that Hard Knocks would be a major disruption, but why even take the chance? The Rams are a young team, trying to turn the corner, with a vital need to stay focused and get prepared for a critical season. I'd rather see as few distractions as possible.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast