View Poll Results: Would you want the Rams to appear on HBO's "Hard Knocks"?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! It would be must-see-TV!!!

29 59.18%
  • No! We don't need our dirty laundry aired!

20 40.82%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Rams a "Hard Knocks" Finalist: Do you hope they are selected?

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Re: Rams a "Hard Knocks" Finalist: Do you hope they are selected?

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    In the first 4 seasons of the show, the spotlight team did not get more wins in the season of their show. The 2001 Ravens won 2 less games; 2002 Cowboys stayed even; 2007 Chiefs won 5 less; and the 2008 Cowboys won 4 less. Yikes!

However, in the most recent 4 seasons, the spotlight team has improved upon their previous season. The 2009 Bengals won 6 more games; the 2010 Jets won 2 more games; the 2012 Dolphins won 1 more game; and the 2013 Bengals won 1 more game.

So what does that tell us about this show being a distraction? Absolutely nothing.
    Exactly. I don't buy in to the "distraction" standpoint. The team's results were all happenstance, especially with the parity of the NFL.

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike
    adding a film crew with major access to everything, and producers constantly looking to get something "on-air" worthy
    The one point I want to stress is that NFL Films does not show anything that isn't approved by the team they're filming. The team's management can flat-out reject to show anything they choose, for whatever reason. I think it's unfair to compare NFL Films/Hard Knocks to typical trashy reality shows.

They're more focused on personalities or personal situations, anyway. While some guys will muck it up for the cameras, most will forget about the cameras after a couple days and just want to do their job. I really don't buy into the idea that it's such a big distraction that it actually costs the team a couple of wins.

Love NFL Films, love Hard Knocks, and I'd love to see the Rams do it.
    laram0 likes this.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

On a more relevant note, how can anyone in 2014 not have HBO??? Do you guys still have "rabbit ears" on your televisions??!!! lol.....

Just busting chops.
    Last edited by NJ Ramsfan1; -01-23-2014 at 11:04 AM.
    laram0 and Varg6 like this.

J-RodRamFan is offline Registered User

I'm not turning down seeing more of my team, especially in the off-season. I'm for it.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    On a more relevant note, how can anyone in 2014 not have HBO??? Do you guys still have "rabbit ears" on your televisions??!!! lol.....

Just busting chops.
    I had HBO for 15 years, but just didn't think it was worth keeping. I didn't watch it very often, and all the good characters on Game of Thrones were killed off, Boardwalk Empire was getting stale and convoluted, and the good documentaries were getting few and far between for me. And as far as Hard Knocks, I didn't get much out of it and only watched a few episodes when the Jets were featured.

Besides, if there is something I REALLY have to see, I'll use my sisters log in and watch through my Apple TV.

laram0 is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    I had HBO for 15 years, but just didn't think it was worth keeping. I didn't watch it very often, and all the good characters on Game of Thrones were killed off, Boardwalk Empire was getting stale and convoluted, and the good documentaries were getting few and far between for me. And as far as Hard Knocks, I didn't get much out of it and only watched a few episodes when the Jets were featured.

Besides, if there is something I REALLY have to see, I'll use my sisters log in and watch through my Apple TV.
    .....and here I thought you were using the money you saved by cancelling HBO to purchase bird feed and pens.

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    .....and here I thought you were using the money you saved by cancelling HBO to purchase bird feed and pens.
    For an old guy, you've got quite the memory for detail. I'm impressed. Luckily, the bird seed problem is resolved, but the pens, that's a lost cause.
    laram0 likes this.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

I'm surprised that this vote is as close as it is.

I'd love to see the Rams on Hard Knocks. It would be the top setting on my DVR!

Quote Originally Posted by evil disco man View Post
    Exactly. I don't buy in to the "distraction" standpoint. The team's results were all happenstance, especially with the parity of the NFL.

The one point I want to stress is that NFL Films does not show anything that isn't approved by the team they're filming. The team's management can flat-out reject to show anything they choose, for whatever reason. I think it's unfair to compare NFL Films/Hard Knocks to typical trashy reality shows.

They're more focused on personalities or personal situations, anyway. While some guys will muck it up for the cameras, most will forget about the cameras after a couple days and just want to do their job. I really don't buy into the idea that it's such a big distraction that it actually costs the team a couple of wins.

Love NFL Films, love Hard Knocks, and I'd love to see the Rams do it.
    Well, we obviously see this issue differently. Trust me, there is much more to the intrusiveness of a film crew than just what they attempt to get on air. The NFL Films crew working for HBO is a 25+ personnel group of people who have a lot of equipment, make a lot of requests, and occupy a lot of peoples time. it's an unnecessary distraction.

What I find interesting about the Hard Knocks situation this year, is that from what I've read, none of the eight teams who could be forced to do the show, want any part of it.
    evil disco man likes this.

gap
    gap is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post

Just busting chops.
    I have Dish, so I have the ability to get HBO, but it ain't worth the extra money. When it was only movies, and they were recently out of the box office, it was worth having. Now the movies have to get through PPV before they get to HBO, and HBO has way too much "prime-time" type programming. In its current state HBO should be free, or no more than a buck a month. At that rate, or going back to 90%+ movies that just came out of the theaters, and I would get HBO. I barely found anything worth watching during the free 3 month preview period.

gap

tomahawk247 is online now Registered User

I would love to have the Rams on Hard Knocks.

demiurge is offline Registered User

Personally I would be thrilled.

How much does it impact the team? Yeah, I'd be worried. We've got a lot of kids and not a lot of veteran leadership.

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Well, we obviously see this issue differently. Trust me, there is much more to the intrusiveness of a film crew than just what they attempt to get on air. The NFL Films crew working for HBO is a 25+ personnel group of people who have a lot of equipment, make a lot of requests, and occupy a lot of peoples time. it's an unnecessary distraction.

What I find interesting about the Hard Knocks situation this year, is that from what I've read, none of the eight teams who could be forced to do the show, want any part of it.
    Honestly, since you have more experience in the field, I'd go with your opinion over my own. I just couldn't imagine it being such a big distraction that it'd cost the team wins. But who knows, that gets too abstract.

It is interesting that fewer and fewer teams seem willing to subject themselves to it, because they want to eliminate any distractions, big or small.

But part of me (the detached fan) is too selfish and still wants to see the show. It's one of the only chances we get to see behind-the-scenes stuff. Which is why I imagine most teams say "Yeah it's great, but let someone else do it."

Quote Originally Posted by evil disco man View Post
    But part of me (the detached fan) is too selfish and still wants to see the show. It's one of the only chances we get to see behind-the-scenes stuff.
    To be honest with you Jake, if the Rams were the team picked to be on Hard Knocks, I'd want to see it too, and would go out of my way to be able to do so.
    evil disco man likes this.

zgare is offline Registered User
    To be honest with you Jake, if the Rams were the team picked to be on Hard Knocks, I'd want to see it too, and would go out of my way to be able to do so.
    Yesterday at the lunch Kevin Demoff said he thought the team was too young for this, and the PR doesn't turn into ticket sales. Not likely the Rams will do this for a couple of years.
    r8rh8rmike likes this.
    ZGare

Quote Originally Posted by zgare View Post
    Yesterday at the lunch Kevin Demoff said he thought the team was too young for this, and the PR doesn't turn into ticket sales. Not likely the Rams will do this for a couple of years.
    Unless of course they are mandated to do so by the NFL later in the year. Since nobody seems to want to do Hard Knocks, some team is going to get picked, and have to do it.

BTW, thanks for the info.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast