RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Rams' Haslett: Jackson's persistent thigh injury related to holdout

ST. LOUIS (AP) -- Steven Jackson's persistent thigh injury is no surprise to St. Louis Rams coach Jim Haslett, who factored in down time after the running back's 27-day training camp holdout.

"It happens all the time," Haslett said. "You can run all you want, you can lift weights all you want, but until you put pads on and you actually cut and move at full speed, you can't replicate that until you actually do it."

Haslett noted it's the same in any sport, that the body needs time to adjust.

"That goes back to when I was playing," said Haslett, a former NFL linebacker. "Guys that don't go to training camp get hurt."

Jackson will miss his fourth game in five weeks when the Rams (2-8) play the Bears (5-5) on Sunday. He disagreed Thursday with Haslett's blanket assessment, countering that injuries are bound to occur to players who take a pounding.

Jackson didn't report this season until Aug. 21 after getting a six-year, $44 million deal. But he pointed out he attended training camp in 2007, yet still missed four games with a bulging disc in his back and a torn groin muscle.

"Coaches bring that up all the time," Jackson said. "I think the football season is long and gruesome, and you have freak injuries like this. This injury wasn't from any hit, it was just that my muscle gave way."

Jackson said doctors told him the injury was not preventable, and that the best way to get back on the field is to do rehab and be patient.

The 6-foot-2, 235-pound Jackson is the Rams' leading rusher with 525 yards, a 4.1-yard average and four touchdowns. The Rams have lost four in a row since Jackson was hurt near the end of a 34-14 victory over the Cowboys on Oct. 19, one play before Haslett said coaches were going to take him out.

Jackson tried to come back after one week and wasn't himself. He didn't start against Arizona on Nov. 2 because the first play required a cutback he wasn't comfortable making, and totaled 17 yards on seven carries and dropped a certain touchdown pass before sitting out much of the second half.

The next two games he was a question mark all week. Haslett ruled him out for the Bears game on Monday after Jackson got a second medical opinion that he said revealed a more severe strain that doctors believed may have come from reinjuring the thigh against the Cardinals.

In an effort to prevent further soft-tissue injuries, Haslett wants Jackson to consult with strength coaches and nutrition experts in the offseason. While joking that "I think Mama Jackson does a good job," Jackson said he'll do what's necessary.

"I'm definitely open to explore all doors or all different types of training," Jackson said. "I want to be the best at my position and I want to be on the best team in the National Football League, and I hopefully want to lead the St. Louis Rams to the Super Bowl and a playoff berth."

The Rams are likely to bring in another running back next season, just in case Jackson gets hurt again. He won't mind that, either.

"You can bring in any running back and I'm going to beat him out, and I'm not going to share my carries," Jackson said. "I understand they have to have an insurance policy, but that's just my mentality."

CaliGirlRamsFan is offline Registered User

Re: Rams' Haslett: Jackson's persistent thigh injury related to holdout

As much as I love you Steven, the two quoted parts contradict themselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by RamFan_Til_I_Die View Post
    ST. LOUIS (AP) -- Steven Jackson's persistent thigh injury is no surprise to St. Louis Rams coach Jim Haslett, who factored in down time after the running back's 27-day training camp holdout.

"It happens all the time," Haslett said. "You can run all you want, you can lift weights all you want, but until you put pads on and you actually cut and move at full speed, you can't replicate that until you actually do it."

Haslett noted it's the same in any sport, that the body needs time to adjust.

"That goes back to when I was playing," said Haslett, a former NFL linebacker. "Guys that don't go to training camp get hurt."

Jackson will miss his fourth game in five weeks when the Rams (2-8) play the Bears (5-5) on Sunday. He disagreed Thursday with Haslett's blanket assessment, countering that injuries are bound to occur to players who take a pounding.
    Jackson didn't report this season until Aug. 21 after getting a six-year, $44 million deal. But he pointed out he attended training camp in 2007, yet still missed four games with a bulging disc in his back and a torn groin muscle.

"Coaches bring that up all the time," Jackson said. "I think the football season is long and gruesome, and you have freak injuries like this. This injury wasn't from any hit, it was just that my muscle gave way."
    Jackson said doctors told him the injury was not preventable, and that the best way to get back on the field is to do rehab and be patient.

The 6-foot-2, 235-pound Jackson is the Rams' leading rusher with 525 yards, a 4.1-yard average and four touchdowns. The Rams have lost four in a row since Jackson was hurt near the end of a 34-14 victory over the Cowboys on Oct. 19, one play before Haslett said coaches were going to take him out.

Jackson tried to come back after one week and wasn't himself. He didn't start against Arizona on Nov. 2 because the first play required a cutback he wasn't comfortable making, and totaled 17 yards on seven carries and dropped a certain touchdown pass before sitting out much of the second half.

The next two games he was a question mark all week. Haslett ruled him out for the Bears game on Monday after Jackson got a second medical opinion that he said revealed a more severe strain that doctors believed may have come from reinjuring the thigh against the Cardinals.

In an effort to prevent further soft-tissue injuries, Haslett wants Jackson to consult with strength coaches and nutrition experts in the offseason. While joking that "I think Mama Jackson does a good job," Jackson said he'll do what's necessary.

"I'm definitely open to explore all doors or all different types of training," Jackson said. "I want to be the best at my position and I want to be on the best team in the National Football League, and I hopefully want to lead the St. Louis Rams to the Super Bowl and a playoff berth."

The Rams are likely to bring in another running back next season, just in case Jackson gets hurt again. He won't mind that, either.

"You can bring in any running back and I'm going to beat him out, and I'm not going to share my carries," Jackson said. "I understand they have to have an insurance policy, but that's just my mentality."
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Visit myspace.com/polejox

RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

Nice to hear some straight talk from Haslett. As HUbison said the other day, maybe it wouldn't hurt to publicly call out the players that aren't giving all they've got, hit their pride a little and try to get them kickstarted. Jackson is always giving all that he's got on the field as far as I have seen, but he didn't prepare properly by being in training camp even while under contract. There is no way to be sure, but I have to agree with Haslett this kind of injury is much more likely to happen when you haven't been in pads hitting people all offseason and then choose to skip camp. A real commitment to winning isn't all about gameday, it's also about proper preparation.

ScottD413 is offline Registered User

Let me break it down for you:

Quote Originally Posted by RamFan_Til_I_Die View Post
    Translation: I know better than the coaches who have been around the game their whole lives and I'm not about to listen to them.

"I'm not going to share my carries" Jackson said.
    Translation: Just call me Keyshawn "T.O." Jack$on. I'm selfish

I'm going to get blasted by you guys for this, but I HATE Steven Jackson. I've officially had enough of his selfish, me first attitude.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ScottD413 View Post
    Translation: Just call me Keyshawn "T.O." Jack$on. I'm selfish

I'm going to get blasted by you guys for this, but I HATE Steven Jackson. I've officially had enough of his selfish, me first attitude.

I have to disagree. I think (for now) that's the right attitude to have. It will make him a hungrier player, and I think, perform better. You have to have an attitude that you're the best and that you deserve the position. Someone needs to have that attitude on this team right now, that's for sure.

live4ramin is offline Registered User

If we just had some decent blockers we could do like Denver and just pick guys up off the street and let them lead the league.

Like Elane said to that girl, "You know, that hairdo is a little outdated, don't you think (Little Stevie, 1980)?
    With all the gravitas of Jackie Treehorn.

blood85 is offline Registered User

His injury is really begining to tick me off....the fact that he is NOT on the field helping our team....man this really sucks, when will this freaking MISERY END!!!!!!