Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Rambos is offline Registered User

Rams have been left in good hands

By Bernie Miklasz
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    01/21/2008

Sports Columnist Bernie Miklasz
    [More columns]

I don't know Chip Rosenbloom well. We've had a few conversations, and shared a meal or two along the way, since the Rams and his mother, Georgia Frontiere, became part of the St. Louis sports community in 1995.

But the initial impressions are positive. He's a good man, and a gentleman. Rosenbloom, 43, has a successful film career going, as a producer, screenwriter and director. But this is no showy, Hollywood guy. Chip has a relatively low-key personality. He's serious by nature. He's a family man, and happily spends time with his wife and kids. Same with his sister, Lucia Rodriguez. I've met her several times and found her to be warm, friendly and devoted to her husband and children.

I also know this: Chip and Lucia appreciate the way their mother was received and treated in St. Louis. They're grateful for the support and affection she received over the last 13 seasons here. In the final years for the Rams in Los Angeles, when things turned ugly, Chip and Lucia were upset by the personal attacks made against their mother.

And that's among the reasons I believe Chip will do the right thing by St. Louis.Advertisement
    Upon his mother's passing, as Chip takes over as the controlling ownership partner, Rams fans are worried about the long-term future of the franchise.

MORE BERNIE
    E-Mail Bernie
    Sound Off in Bernie's Press Box
    Sound Off in Cards Talk
    More Bernie columns

I am confident that Chip will take care of the Rams, and St. Louis.

Here's the first look:

— Rosenbloom will probably sell, but he's in no rush. In a few years he'll probably sell because his life and Lucia's are based in L.A. And he believes the owner of the Rams ought to be more intimately involved with the franchise, should have a presence in the St. Louis community. By selling, Chip and Lucia would make a lot of money, yes. But they also want the Rams to have local, visible and accessible ownership.

— Rosenbloom, however, is also devoted to the memory and legacy of his parents. His father, Carroll Rosenbloom, loved owning the Baltimore Colts, and then the Rams. Chip is conflicted; he has told associates that he'd feel guilt by selling the Rams out of the family. But he also believes St. Louis deserves the full concentration of the owner, and he may not be able to do that.

— Rosenbloom has told associates of his feeling that the Rams must change the inner dynamics in St. Louis. I haven't spoken to Chip about these matters, but I am told that he's interested in a new direction for the franchise. Team President John Shaw may leave the organization at some point in 2008, and if it happens, the exit would be viewed as an opportunity by Rosenbloom to restructure management. I am told that he believes the Rams need a more high-profile and proactive leader of the franchise, much like the Cardinals have in team President Mark Lamping, and the Blues have in John Davidson. Yes, Chip is also concerned about the on-field direction of the team. But please understand: He isn't going to bull-rush his way into this. He will need time to get a better read on the state of the franchise.

— And if and when the Rams are sold, what then? Chip really likes and respects minority partner Stan Kroenke. And Kroenke cares deeply about the Rams. But because of the current NFL ownership rules, Kroekne can't own controlling interest in the Rams and maintain majority ownership of pro franchises in Denver. And that's another reason Chip won't rush into anything; he is said to want to give Kroenke time to decide what to do, and perhaps work something out with the NFL.

We're about to enter another new chapter of NFL football in St. Louis, and I believe the Rams are in honorable hands. And as we begin anew, let's offer Chip Rosenbloom and Lucia Rodriguez our condolences, our best wishes and our welcome.

BigDaddyPace is offline Registered User

Re: Rams have been left in good hands

That sound you hear are the collective sobs of all the LA Rams fans who were under the delusion that thier Rams will return to LA.

That sound you hear are the collective sobs of all the LA Rams fans who were under the delusion that thier Rams will return to LA.
    Never say never...as long as they get support I don't care where they play. I never miss a game. I would if they where local.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

I also know this: Chip and Lucia appreciate the way their mother was received and treated in St. Louis. They're grateful for the support and affection she received over the last 13 seasons here. In the final years for the Rams in Los Angeles, when things turned ugly, Chip and Lucia were upset by the personal attacks made against their mother.
    Well, duh. Their mother drove the team into the dirt in LA, and then moved it away to a city that basically had it laid in their lap. Of course they were appreciative to receive such a great gift, and of course the LA fans were mad as hell. ...and most still are.

And for those in Missouri, don't get too cocky, or too comfortable with this team. It has a history of movin' on, and the NFL has already failed once in St. Louis. ...you just never know. Besides, you can't tell me you wouldn't feel the same way we do, and if you didn't, you're not much of a Ram fan. We've kept the faith, and stayed with this team even after they were ripped away from us. Will you?
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

jquarando is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMFANRAIDERHATER View Post
    Well, duh. Their mother drove the team into the dirt in LA, and then moved it away to a city that basically had it laid in their lap. Of course they were appreciative to receive such a great gift, and of course the LA fans were mad as hell. ...and most still are.

And for those in Missouri, don't get too cocky, or too comfortable with this team. It has a history of movin' on, and the NFL has already failed once in St. Louis. ...you just never know. Besides, you can't tell me you wouldn't feel the same way we do, and if you didn't, you're not much of a Ram fan. We've kept the faith, and stayed with this team even after they were ripped away from us. Will you?
    And how many times has it failed in LA?

Mooselini is offline Registered User

I'd actually prefer them to move to LA since I'll be closer. :P

haha. but whatever happens, i hope nothing but the best for this organization and my favorite team. GO RAMS!

RealRam is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Mooselini View Post
    ...Whatever happens, I hope nothing but the best for this organization and my favorite team. GO RAMS!
    That's what I'm talking about! Well said. :bash:

I don't think the Rams will move away from STL very soon -- but, frankly, I wouldn't mind seeing them back in L.A. which is were they were when I became a fan.

...A little surprised by this fair, considerate, and balanced Bernian article though!

MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP

Quote Originally Posted by jquarando View Post
    And how many times has it failed in LA?
    Yeah don't get too cocky here...LA didn't fail the Rams as much as you would like to believe. The team had a part in it as well. If I am not mistaken, Rosenbloom was fighting with the Coliseum first. He didn't want to take the team out of LA, but felt he had to because the stadium could no longer compete. Then 14 years later, Georgia takes them from Anaheim because they too couldn't compete with the new stadiums even though they ripped apart a baseball stadium to try to make it nicer. It's a cold hard fact in LA, your either winning or we not going to the game, and yes if your management team sucks, were going to let you know it. So I also think she was tired of getting blasted for the way she or her idiots ran the team. But I am sorry, that's life in the NFL. Can you imagine the LA Rams if they were in NY or Philly, she would have been really upset with the treatment she received in those places.

Now remember, this was a long time before all of these little market teams like North Carolina, Houston and St. Louis started buying into the extortion of the NFL to get a team. So what went down was confusing to say the least, but remember, they couldn't make it happen here in a state that at the time was probably the worlds, yes worlds, 7th largest economy.

So can it happen to St. Louis? I think so and lets look at the record of teams that have relocated that come right of the top of my mind:

Rams (Twice)
    Raiders (twice)
    Oilers
    Chargers
    Browns
    Colts

Can you imagine when you were a kid that the Colts or the Browns ever leaving their town. I can't, I couldn't even imagine my Rams leaving LA, but they did. Did LA let two teams go. Yes. As far as I am concerned the Raiders never belonged here. Did I want the Rams to stay? Your damn right, enough so to wish they would come back here some day. More than you'll ever know.

Oh I almost forgot one team, was it the St Louis Cardinal's...yeah that 's it, seems their town couldn't keep a team either...

bruce4life is offline Registered User

this sounds enncouraging at least guys.... a owner that actually cares hmmmmm....

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

i think that as of right now, talking about moving the team is the least of our worries

although if you want to move the team, i would suggest London. Could easily have the Rams in a domed stadium in the UK, and the games would always sell out because the european NFL fans would find it easier to get to

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    i think that as of right now, talking about moving the team is the least of our worries

although if you want to move the team, i would suggest London. Could easily have the Rams in a domed stadium in the UK, and the games would always sell out because the european NFL fans would find it easier to get to
    I have no idea if they would move a team internationally or not. I think they would go South to Mexico before they would go over to England. The time difference and the travel time would be a big disadvantage for the players if they had to travel to europe.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Roy G. Biv is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by some whiner from LA
    Besides, you can't tell me you wouldn't feel the same way we do, and if you didn't, you're not much of a Ram fan. We've kept the faith, and stayed with this team even after they were ripped away from us. Will you?
    So now beyotching and moaning are called keeping the faith?

Actually a true fan would just support the team regardless of where they play their home games. Try keeping that faith.
    "I'm not going to hide my opinions. They're coming to you between 7000-4000 Angstroms for all the world to see. Oh yes, you will be enlightened."

Drew is offline Registered User

just out of interest,when someone dies how long have we got to wait before we can peel the gloss off and tell it like it is again??

a life being passed is always sad but as i said in one of the Sean Taylor threads,yes its sad but even as ive been typing who knows how many people in the world have drawn their last breath,ordinary people maybe,but no life is worth more than any other,IMHO no matter what they have,earn,own due to "mysterious" death of former owner etc....

is funny how when Elvis died the following weeks resulted in his album sales,goin` thro the roof ,had they just discovered him,like Townes Van Zandt wasn`t well known till he died etc....?

No just a morbid obsession with people who have recently died being suddenly great again!

if her funeral precession passed my way id stop and take the hat off my head and stuff but i aint gonna make her out to have been like a football version of Julie Andrews!!!

Rosenbloom has told associates of his feeling that the Rams must change the inner dynamics in St. Louis
    I am told that he believes the Rams need a more high-profile and proactive leader of the franchise
    I would like to see Shaw and Jay hit the road. Lets spend the cash and bring in a FO that lives where they work and are hands on every day!

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Roy G. Biv View Post
    So now beyotching and moaning are called keeping the faith?

Actually a true fan would just support the team regardless of where they play their home games. Try keeping that faith.
    Don't know what "beyotching and moaning" you're referring to, but as a Ram fan of nearly forty years, I'm entitled to complain about a poor product, a poorly run franchise and I expect more. The LA Ram fans that visit this forum more then support their team. Unlike many others in here, we didn't just jump on the bandwagon after the '99 season. We've proven we'll support our team no matter where they go. Now that's keeping the faith. Personally, it won't make or break my day if they move from St.Louis or not. I'll still be a fan.

I'd just like to see them in person again, and bringing them back to LA/OC would be my preference.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. -02-09-2008, 09:46 PM
  2. -01-22-2008, 12:40 AM