Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Rams have fourth most difficult schedule of 2012, Patriots have easiest.

SLSG is offline Registered User

Re: Rams have fourth most difficult schedule of 2012, Patriots have easiest.

How do we know who has an easy schedule and who has a hard one ? The season hasn't started yet. With FA, the draft and injuries, teams change from year to year, sometimes drastically.

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

wth? Washington is only 24th? Hope they go 0-16!!!
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

gap
    gap is offline Registered User

I am usually one to point out the league's hatred for the city of St. Louis, but I agree that this is formula based. The way to tell when the league is monkeying with teams is when all their toughest opponents are on the road, making it even harder to win those games.

gap

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I think that the order of the games (particularly home/away) has as much if not more impact than the opponents. Last year, the Rams had a beast of a schedule in part because they had most of their toughest games in the first half of the year, which made it hard to get on a roll.

My hope is that the schedule-makers will provide the Rams some breaks in that department this year in consideration for their willingness to give up a home game for the sake of the NFL's international marketing scheme.

xtreme is offline Registered User

In fact, every single same if formula based.

6 games versus two divisional opponents.
    8 games are determined by playing every team in two other divisions. In 2012 the Rams will play the AFC East (NE,NYJ,BUF,MIA) and NFC North (CHI,GB,MIN,DET)....it's also important to note that every other NFC West team will also play these exact teams.
    Only 2 games are flexible at all. And those are loosely based on teams' overall record from the previous year...though I forget the details on that. Those two teams next year are the Redskins and Tampa Bay.

With the exception of two games every season, I could tell you who the Rams will be playing every season for the next 20 years...unless the NFL changes the rules. The NFL rules make it so every team plays every other team every 4 years, and that every team hosts/visits every other team every 8 years, if that makes sense.
    TekeRam likes this.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

xtreme, welcome to the board.

To show everyone that the league does not choose opponents nor does it change home/away, and to expand upon your point that every game is formula based, here's the formula:

6 division games, 1 home, 1 away.

4 games against rotating NFC division every 3 years(2 home, 2 away, which swap the next time around. For the NFC West, I believe that the Whiners and Cards are paired and we and the Shehawks are paired(meaning that other teams will play both us and Squawks at home and the other two away in a given year))

4 games against rotating AFC division every 4 years(again, 2 home, 2 away,to be switched next time around)

2 games based on previous year's division position to be played against same ranking teams in the two NFC divisions that we don't play the whole division. These games are already set in the years to come with set rotating home and away games.

To explain this, let's take the 2011 season. We played the NFC South as part of that 1st set. We played the NFC North for the AFC division. Then we played the 2nd place(based off of 2010's 2nd place finish against the Squawks) teams in the NFC North(away, Packers) and the NFC East(home, Eagles). This year we play the 4th place teams in the South(home, Bucs) and East(away, Redskins). The league didn't make us play the "Dream Team" and the SB defending Packers, the pre-set schedule did and they just happened to fill the spots.
    I believe!

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

Even without the formula that the NFL uses to determine who plays who, how else is the Rams to know what their needs are, and how do you get stronger, tougher, better if all you play is weak and feeble teams?

What was it the 1972 Dolphines that brag about the only undefeated team? Look closely at what they played before making the playoffs...it wasn't that mcuh of an accomplishment if you look at it in those terms

ramsflow is offline Registered User

Another difficult for us ahead.

DeaconJ is offline Registered User

I was over at nfl.com and found this tidbit from Jason Smith, 'Fantasy Analyst'........
    "St. Louis is my official selection for surprise team, thanks to what is probably the easiest schedule in football."
    Gotta love these pundits that just write shyt so their editor thinks they're actually producing. Heaven forbid the editor would maybe analyze the content of said shyt.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12