throwback week

STLRAMSFAN Guest

Rams' have had Seahawks' number

By Jim Thomas
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    10/08/2005

Every time the Rams played Seattle last season, they achieved a milestone of sorts:

- In the playoffs, Cam Cleeland's 17-yard touchdown catch broke a 20-20 tie with just over 2 minutes to play. By virtue of their 27-20 triumph, the Rams became the first 8-8 team to win a postseason game in NFL history.

- Two months earlier, coach Mike Martz notched his 50th Rams victory, passing Hall of Famer George Allen on the franchise's career list with a 23-12 triumph.

- Then, there were the near-miraculous events of Oct. 10, 2004. Trailing 27-10 at Qwest Field, the Rams stormed back in the final 5 1/2 minutes of regulation to send the game into overtime tied 27-27. Five plays into OT, Shaun McDonald's 52-yard TD reception gave the Rams a 33-27 victory. It was the second-biggest comeback in NFL history in the final 6 minutes of play.

So yes. After sweeping three games from Seattle a year ago, at least some of the Rams feel they're in the Seahawks' heads.

"It's hard beating a team once, but to beat them three times?" running back Steven Jackson said. "For them to feel like they can come out and beat us at home, I think that's something that's even tougher for them to think about.

"You've got to think about the fact that we were able to knock 'em off in a big comeback in the beginning of the (2004) season. So I don't think they really fully got over that yet."

Here's wide receiver Dane Looker's take: "Teams change so much in the NFL from year to year that a lot of the guys on their team, and a lot of the guys on our team, weren't even involved in those wins. But obviously, when you beat a team three times you should have a little psychological edge."

There is only one way out for the Seahawks, and that's defeating the Rams Sunday at the Edward Jones Dome. Easier said than done, of course. The Rams are 44-10 at the dome since the start of the 1999 season. They have won 12 straight home contests against NFC West foes, a streak dating to the 2001 campaign.

"It's tough for any team to come in here," Looker said. "And we'll try to use that to our advantage, just being at home."

So are these teams rivals?

"Yeah," cornerback Travis Fisher said. "They have to come through us every year. And we know that."

Truth be told, it was the Seahawks who won the NFC West a year ago, and not the Rams. For all that success against Seattle, the Rams were only 6-9 against the rest of the NFL. The Seahawks were 9-5.

"For our organization it's a rivalry game, because every year it's always a battle for the division," defensive end Anthony Hargrove said. "It's us and Seattle."

At the quarter pole of the 2005 season, things are trending that way again. Seattle and the Rams have 2-2 records, giving Sunday's winner undisputed possession of first place in the West - at least for now.

"The guys understand how critical this is; how critical this game is," wide receiver Torry Holt said.

Particularly when you consider the Rams' next opponent is mighty Indianapolis on Monday night (Oct. 17) at the RCA Dome. A slip-up against Seattle could have the Rams staring a 2-4.

"We just haven't reached our potential yet," Hargrove said. "We haven't reached Max Q yet."

If not at Max Q, then where are the Rams?

"We've still got a ways to go," Hargrove said. "We're not at Max Q; we're at Max L."

To work their way back up the alphabet, the Rams must:

-- Avoid another slow start Sunday, which in turn will help them establish the running game.

-- Play better - much better - on defense than they did a week ago against the New York Giants.

Quarterback Marc Bulger conceded there's a certain amount of frustration with the Rams' 2-2 record.

"We feel we should be 3-1," Bulger said. "Even 4-0 if you play good. But that's just the way the league's been this year. There's only a couple of undefeated teams. ... We know we can come back. It's not the end of the world. But as the season goes on, each one of these losses becomes more critical."

That's especially true of Sunday's matchup if the Rams have serious designs on the NFC West title.

"We're not playing as good as we can right now," Bulger said. "And if we keep this up, we'll be in the basement, and Seattle will be winning it."

Even though the Seahawks will be without their two top receivers because of injury, they enter the dome as the No. 2- ranked offense in the NFL. They have the league's leading rusher in Shaun Alexander and a hot quarterback in Matt Hasselbeck. After yielding 44 points to the Giants, it's a point of pride for the St. Louis defense to reassert itself Sunday.

"There is no question," said Joe Vitt, the Rams' assistant head coach and linebackers coach. "It's a point of pride for the players, for the coaches, for our families. When a man's butt hits the ground, a man better get back up again. We were kicked down last week, and we've got to rise."

STLRAMSFAN Guest

Re: Rams' have had Seahawks' number

Quote Originally Posted by STLRAMSFAN
    "It's hard beating a team once, but to beat them three times?" running back Steven Jackson said. "For them to feel like they can come out and beat us at home, I think that's something that's even tougher for them to think about.
    I agree with us having their number they definitely need this one for their psyche.

The Rams are 44-10 at the dome since the start of the 1999 season. They have won 12 straight home contests against NFC West foes, a streak dating to the 2001 campaign.
    We have looked good at home. I wish we could improve the road record.

Truth be told, it was the Seahawks who won the NFC West a year ago, and not the Rams. For all that success against Seattle, the Rams were only 6-9 against the rest of the NFL. The Seahawks were 9-5.
    This is pretty disturbing it gives our guys a lot to prove this year.

"For our organization it's a rivalry game, because every year it's always a battle for the division," defensive end Anthony Hargrove said. "It's us and Seattle."

At the quarter pole of the 2005 season, things are trending that way again. Seattle and the Rams have 2-2 records, giving Sunday's winner undisputed possession of first place in the West - at least for now.

"The guys understand how critical this is; how critical this game is," wide receiver Torry Holt said.
    As long as they don't let their coaches health concerns distract them. I think they will be up for this game more then any they have had this season.

"We just haven't reached our potential yet," Hargrove said. "We haven't reached Max Q yet."
    Straight from the horses mouth I cant wait until he does.

We know we can come back. It's not the end of the world. But as the season goes on, each one of these losses becomes more critical."

That's especially true of Sunday's matchup if the Rams have serious designs on the NFC West title.

"We're not playing as good as we can right now," Bulger said. "And if we keep this up, we'll be in the basement, and Seattle will be winning it."
    First step is admitting you have not been good now lets hope we can fix it.

Even though the Seahawks will be without their two top receivers because of injury, they enter the dome as the No. 2- ranked offense in the NFL. They have the league's leading rusher in Shaun Alexander and a hot quarterback in Matt Hasselbeck. After yielding 44 points to the Giants, it's a point of pride for the St. Louis defense to reassert itself Sunday.
    This could be a high scoring game. Although I some how don’t think they will score a lot (20 or less) against us. Call me crazy I might be going against the inevitable.

This will be a great game at home against maybe our biggest rival. I cant wait I will be at the game today.
    Last edited by STLRAMSFAN; -10-09-2005 at 06:12 PM.

DanS761 Guest

so much for the theories

Seahawk_For_Life Guest

Someone should explain to Holt we beat the Rams in their own house with our backups. So much for the mythical mental edge.

:tongue:

Haterade Guest

I don't see why either team would invest in what happened last year. Every year is different and ths game shows that history does not have to repeat itself.

i was surprised Martz actually ran the ball this game. Too bad it wasn't enough.