Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RamWraith is offline Registered User

The Rams have improved, but not enough

By Connor J. Byrne on June 1, 2006

This offseason the St. Louis Rams have not only overhauled their coaching staff, but much of their roster, too. Former Miami Dolphins offensive coordinator Scott Linehan is the team's new head coach, replacing Joe Vitt, who succeeded Mike Martz midway through last season. Surprisingly, Linehan, an offensive mastermind, has had to focus mainly on the defensive side of the ball in free agency and the draft.

During the free agency season, the Rams made a few difference-making moves, signing defensive tackle La'Roi Glover, linebacker Will Witherspoon and safety Corey Chavous to contracts. All three are veterans who have been well-respected throughout the league for the duration of their careers.

In last April's draft the Rams focused mostly on their formerly flailing defense, by selecting cornerback Tye Hill in the first round, defensive tackle Claude Wroten and linebacker Jon Alston in round three, defense end Victor Adeyanju in the fourth round and linebacker Tim McGarigle in the seventh. All have the possibility to be big-time players for the Rams' remodeled defense down the line.

Offensively, the Rams chose tight ends Joe Klopfenstein and Dominique Byrd in the second and third rounds, respectively. Meanwhile, they also grabbed wide receiver Marques Hagans in the fifth and a tandem of guards in the seventh round. Clearly, the Rams improved their future offense substantially during the draft.

Despite the Rams' obvious improvements this offseason, they also took a couple steps back. On the defensive line, they didn't re-sign their starting tackles from last season, Ryan Pickett and Damione Lewis. Glover will fill a big need at the tackle spot in coordinator Jim Haslett's defense, but he can't replace two players. The onus will be on former first-rounder Jimmy Kennedy to make a solid tandem next to Glover. Unfortunately for the Rams, Kennedy has never been more than a bust in his three-year career.

Also, although the Rams nabbed Chavous, it's a lateral move at best, since former starting strong safety Adam Archuleta departed via free agency.

Linehan seems like a terrific head-coaching prospect for St. Louis, but it's also important to remember that it's his first year on the job. Rarely do novice head coaches lead non-playoff teams to the promised land immediately. The St. Louis Rams went just 6-10 last season, so don't expect vast amounts of improvement just because Linehan's in town. Much like rookie players, first-year head coaches need time to develop and learn how the game works from a new, unfamiliar perspective. Switching from coordinator to head coach is like going from relatively unnoticed to constantly being under the media and fan microscope. Linehan will adjust, but it'll take a good part of next season to do so.

The fact that the Rams are in a division with two teams currently better than them doesn't help matters, either. The Seattle Seahawks , who were NFC champs last season, seem primed to continue their onslaught of the NFC West division.

Other than the 'Hawks, the Rams have a new team to contend with for second place, the Arizona Cardinals . The Cardinals are arguably the most improved team in the NFL heading into 2006, as they added star runner Edgerrin James and defensive tackle Kendrick Clancy in free agency, and offensive guard Deuce Lutui and tight end Leonard Pope in the draft. They drafted a little-known ex-USC quarterback named Matt Leinart, too, but he won't come into play next season, since ex-Rams QB Kurt Warner is currently at the helm of the Cardinals' offense.

Clearly, the Rams have improved quite a bit this offseason, but inconsistency from their offensive line and defense will keep them from returning to the postseason for the first time since 2004. As mentioned earlier, Linehan has much to learn, and if he does gain knowledge of his new job next season, the Rams will be contending for a playoff spot in 2007.

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Re: The Rams have improved, but not enough

What else did they want us to do? We got all the Free Agents we wanted. More hate, but I'm not going to worry because by the end of the season we'll make them look like idiots.
    RamsFan16

jjigga3000 is offline Registered User

He makes valid points, but what about seattle they lost 2 or 3 recievers. Not to mention the LG. They also pay 49 mil for an average reciever. The Cards didn't improve the O line. So they have edge, but a back is nothing without a line. We got better than last year, and problem was poor coaching, and poor tackling. We will improve in those 2 areas this year.

RamsFan4ever is offline Registered User

You finally found news RamWraith!! Good Job!!

I think we did improve just enough to be a playoff team. Coach Linehan has become a great Head Coach and he did make the Dolphins better last year. After going 4-12 to 9-7. He can do the same with us. Hopefully he can bring us from 6-10 to 12-4. He knows all the problems we faced last year like Bulger kept on getting injuried, Jackson and Faulk didnt get enough touches, and our bad defence. He has improved those problems a lot like he making Bulger go in to a lesser step drop back and letting Jackson and faulk run more and he signed and drafted great players.

The fact that the Rams are in a division with two teams currently better than them doesn't help matters, either.
    LOL Cardinals better than us? I still dont believe that the Cardinals will be a contender for the NFC West Title. This whole offseason, they worked on everything except Defence. Just like us last season we had a great offence and no defence and we ended up 6-10.

This guy is right. Glover can't replace 2 of our DTs starters last year. Hopefully Jimmy Kennedy will prove he is not a bust. And I hope he becomes a great starter!
    Last edited by RamsFan4ever; -06-01-2006 at 02:24 PM.

Varg6 is online now Registered User

I'm so sick of these articles being our Rams "news" because its a load of crap, anything can happen, we might go and lose everygame this season, or we might go 16-0, who knows? NO ONE. You can speculate all you want, but when it gets down to gameday, its who steps up, and when, and who makes the big plays and winds up with the W at the end of the day, we can't be judging like this, sheeesh

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

txramsfan is offline Registered User

I can't really argue with this perspective much except for the Archuleta move because to me that was an improvement. However, that could be more of a personal viewpoint than a technical viewpoint. He's spot on with Kennedy, he hasn't done much and losing Pickett (not necessarily DLew) is a huge factor. The Cardinals have improved, and they beat us at home last year.

This is one of those offseasons that a wait and see approach is a viable commodity.

general counsel is offline Registered User

I believe that Tx is correct (as usual). I also remember avengers recent post in which he noted that he truly has no idea what to expect from the squad this year.

One thing i know for sure. We still arent that deep and if we dont make it through camp healthy on defense, we are going to be in BIG trouble quickly.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I don't see how he can make such a matter of fact statement that there are two teams currently better than the Rams. Last year was an awful season. We were plagued by injuries, we played under an interim head coach for half the season, we struggled to find balance on offense...but in the end, the record showed only one team better than us in the division.

For all the talk of Arizona's vaunted offense, they were outscored by 76 points last year. They couldn't beat anyone with a winning record. They beat a Rams team without Bulger (or Martz or either of our starting corners)and the Eagles without McNabb. Three of their five wins came against the ***** (x2) and Titans. But the Edge, Clancy, and a couple of rookies suddenly make them a force to be reckoned with? I'm not surprised that this guy is not predicting the playoffs for us. We have to redeem ourselves from that poor campaign last year before we can expect to get any respect, but to say we're not as good as the Cardinals is just insulting.
    Last edited by Goldenfleece; -06-01-2006 at 05:23 PM.

coy bacon is offline Registered User

I can't disagree much with what the writer wrote. Nothing he said hasn't been stated here, a few times over, on this board.

What if Kurt Warner gets hot again, oh boy, what a show! Then maybe they are better than us. But I don't give no respect to Mr. Green, so we still be better.

I don't think this year will be our year, but I think that the team's FO et. al. have begun to lay a solid foundation. As negative as I so often am, I have hope.

RamJackson39 is offline Registered User

The Cardinals are arguably the most improved team in the NFL heading into 2006
    Just like they were in 2005?
    The Roman and The Prince. Playmakers until the end.

OldRamsfan is offline Registered User

Ya just never know what might happen , It does make since BUT on any given sunday !!! Go! RAMS!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

So are rookies important or not? Apparently, Mr. Connor J. Byrne isn't sure either...
    Quote Originally Posted by Byrne
    Much like rookie players, first-year head coaches need time to develop and learn how the game works from a new, unfamiliar perspective
    Quote Originally Posted by Byrne
    The Cardinals are arguably the most improved team in the NFL heading into 2006, as they added star runner Edgerrin James and defensive tackle Kendrick Clancy in free agency, and offensive guard Deuce Lutui and tight end Leonard Pope in the draft. They drafted a little-known ex-USC quarterback named Matt Leinart
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

Other than the 'Hawks, the Rams have a new team to contend with for second place, the Arizona Cardinals . The Cardinals are arguably the most improved team in the NFL heading into 2006, as they added star runner Edgerrin James and defensive tackle Kendrick Clancy in free agency, and offensive guard Deuce Lutui and tight end Leonard Pope in the draft. They drafted a little-known ex-USC quarterback named Matt Leinart, too, but he won't come into play next season, since ex-Rams QB Kurt Warner is currently at the helm of the Cardinals' offense

LOL

Here we go again with the Cards are a better team crap. Someone please explain how these want to be experts can keep picking a $#^** team which is a perennial looser? Is it because of all of their draft picks? Is it because of Denny Green who never took the Viks to the promise land? Or is it because they need something to write about?
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

RealRam is offline Registered User

Is it because of Denny Green who never took the Viks to the promise land? Or is it because they need something to write about? --RAMMAN68
    The latter, I'm sure.

theodus69 is offline Registered User

All I know is the Rams were one of the worst teams in the 90's, Then 99 came along. Each year is a crapshoot so hold tight and let's see what happens this coming season!
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast