RamWraith is offline Registered User

Rams have little choice

Over the past several weeks there have been a lot of talks surrounding cutting either Holt and/or Pace. The bottom line. One or both of them are as good as gone.

The Rams current salary cap is only around 2.5 million. Assuming we sign no one else we will need about 8 to 9 million to sign our draft picks. Where is that money going to come from?? The only other moves would be to let one of big 2 go. If there are any more moves to make in the free agent market, the next move would be to let the other go.

My prediction....

Holt will be cut to make room for our draft picks. If we can not trade Pace he will be a Ram next season. They will not cut him. If Holt goes, I expect Bulter to sign as well, but I am guessing someone will have to restructure to continue to remain under the cap before signing the draft picks. I am not foreseeing much more free agent moves unless both Holt and Pace go.

RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

Re: Rams have little choice

I agree. It's not really a question of whether we would like to keep Holt at this point. Capwise we have to let him or Pace go, and I think most people would agree that Pace is more valuable at this point with the trouble we have on the rest of our O-line. Besides that Holt has also made it clear that he is done with the Rams and wants to play somewhere else and that pretty much seals the deal. I also think that he either quit on the team last year *or* he has lost some of his abilities, he just did not play well. He didn't get any separation and had way too many critical drops when he did get the ball. I think he can still be a decent receiver but not the fantastic threat that he used to be.

If his cap number was way lower and he wanted to play here I would welcome him back and give him another shot to prove he's still got it. But neither of those are the case so he's gone. I can live with it, I was way more sorry to lose Bruce, that just seemed like the wrong decision all along. But letting Torry go really is the best for both parties at this point. It has to be done.

Canadian Rams Fan is offline Registered User

I have to agree with you guys entirely that Holts time with the rams is sadly coming to an end, but I do not believe that hes done as a #1 receiver. He will go somewhere else and perform it is evident that he doesnt have that speed to get the seperation anymore, but hes still the purest route runner in the nfl today. He will become more of a possesion receiver, he is explosive at making cuts and will get seperation and will still surprise some corners on go routes. I think he will have a resurection somewhere else. I do agree with the cap situation where we will need at least 6 million to sign our rookie class. Which means that Holt is as good as gone we need the cap space and he wants out. However by cutting Holt we still need a veteran receiver I mean who out there do we sign. Possibly Amani Toomer, Joey Galloway what about Joe Horn i dont think that Horn played at all last year. We need a veteran receiver and I believe that Avery will step up his production after a descent rookie year. You guys should check out his videos on youtube from the combine to when he played in college to last year. This guy is impressive I do believe that he will be something special. I think that Burton will play the slot, but what about the number 1 receiver spot. Unless we draft one and I am convinced that we will draft a Ot in round number 1. I am sure it will be Jason Smith, but however we will not cut Pace. He is still effective and better option than Barron maybe we can move him to the inside. We also need him for his veteran leadership to teach the new guy coming in.

eldfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith View Post
    Over the past several weeks there have been a lot of talks surrounding cutting either Holt and/or Pace. The bottom line. One or both of them are as good as gone.

My prediction....

Holt will be cut to make room for our draft picks. If we can not trade Pace he will be a Ram next season. They will not cut him. If Holt goes, I expect Bulter to sign as well, but I am guessing someone will have to restructure to continue to remain under the cap before signing the draft picks. I am not foreseeing much more free agent moves unless both Holt and Pace go.
    I sure hope you are right.
    :ramlogo: