Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

The Rams have the makings of a team that can really turn around next year

Can you believe it? I'm going to lead off with a positive post-game post.

But, I really do believe there is hope for the future here. Let me explain:

1) The Offense: If the Rams had its best 15 offensive players all healthy, there is clearly enough talent there to be formidable. Obviously, the O line needs to get back to health and address some issues (will Pace and Setterstrom be back 100% would top the list) and probably need to spend some $ (or a high draft choice) to add one top notch starter to the bunch. Not automatic, but it can be done, and if it is, there will be enough firepower (note: a deep threat WR wouldn't hurt either).

2) The Defense: The defense HAS improved. Carriker and Ryan are playing as well, if not better, than any DT tandem the Rams has had in years, and they are only rookies. The CB trio of Hill, Bartell and Wade have done a fairly good job (particularly given the lack of pass rush) and Atogwe has generally been solid. The Rams will probably have a shot at a Blue Chip DE to rush the passer, and that, along with either an upgrade at MLB or SS, could go a long way toward making this defense playoff worthy.

3) Special Teams: Donnie Jones is a big improvement, and the return game has been better. At least this is no longer a glaring weakness.

4) Coaching: I don't think I need to restate my feelings on the HC issue. I will say, though, that a significant change on the coaching staff - OC at a minimum - would go a long way toward jump starting this team for next year.

There are going to be some hard choices along the way. Any time a team goes through a losing streak like this, there will be a need to cut some "dead weight." Some cuts I think will be obvious (Chavous, Glover, McCollum, Klopfenstein). Others will be tougher decisions (Wroten, Byrd, Frerotte). Still others will be EXTREMELY tough (Bruce, Pace).

In the end, though, I do see a nucleus.

I don't think all is lost.

We're just going to have to be REALLY patient.

Guam rammer is offline Registered User

Re: The Rams have the makings of a team that can really turn around next year

I'm glad you mentioned Frerotte as maybe being let go next year. Its clear he's not going to get it done. He did have some bad drops from our recievers but those INT's were aweful.

faulkyou is offline Registered User

I too think that we will turn it around next year.
    My prediction is that we win at least one game next season.

dgr828 is offline Registered User

You really need to restate your feeling on the HC issue! Next time the Rams should go with someone with a proven track record and a winning experience.
    S.L.O.P. - Scott Linehan as the OCTOPUSSY!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

Good post, and I don't care who made it... :O

But really, as hard as it is to believe, there's some good things happening that give us a small ray of hope for the future. I agree that there needs to be some coaching changes. Not with the HC, but with the O-coordinator and whoever is teaching and coaching our LB's. Please, someone teach Pizza how to pursue and tackle. I couldn't count the amount of times today he took himself out of a play. Enough already.

Overall, our defense IS getting better, and Ryan and Carriker are solid. Our ST is vastly improved as well. Wilkins???? Jury's still out on what his problems are.

Other decisions for next year? As I mentioned, some coaching changes are in order. Oh, and Georgia, clean house in the front office and sell the team.

We need to solidify and add depth to the O-line and add some speed at WR. Dump Klop, Byrd and Walker. Bennett is a bust, IMHO. If he eats with those hands, he'll starve to death. Begin the search for replacements for Holt and Bruce. Oh, and get rid of the front office. ...or did I already mention that?

See if Kurt is willing to come back as our backup.

Have you ever seen a poorer performance by a QB as we witnesed today? He was hitting guys right in the numbers. Too bad they were wearing Raven uni's.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Do you really think Pace will be cut, especially when you consider the size of his contract, Av?

BigGameMN is offline Registered User

One thing we must do is add some WR help. As much as it pains me to say it I think WR is becoming a weak spot on this team. Bruce isn't a #2 anymore and I don't think Holt will ever be fully healthy again. I don't want to even talk about Bennett.

UofL17 is offline Registered User

How about picking up Brian Brohm with a draft pick next season. And if Harry Douglas were to be around in the second round that would be a solid pickup. (Maybe because of his size not ability). A healthy O-Line will do wonders next season.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Good Post, but Pace,Bruce and Wroten will be back. That being said Glover won't. We need to draft a SS and FS we might be better on D then O next year even if both sides are healthy.
    Last edited by Rambos; -10-14-2007 at 09:36 PM.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by UofL17 View Post
    How about picking up Brian Brohm with a draft pick next season. And if Harry Douglas were to be around in the second round that would be a solid pickup. (Maybe because of his size not ability). A healthy O-Line will do wonders next season.
    Why would we spend a first round pick on a quarterback after signing Bulger to a huge contract?

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

Quite frankly I'm stunned

I'm also in full agreement however in the sense that there is hope. After watching England against France in the RWC on Sunday morning, I hadn't the heart to pull another all-nighter so I haven't seen the game but I think its important to take out whatever positives you can.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Very nice post Av, I just wish we didn't have to talk about this stuff only 6 games into the season.

chiguy is offline Registered User

What surprises me is all the needs on offense. We desperately need some speed in the wide receiving corps. I also think we need to spend some money on the O-line. Pace hasn't really be dominant since signing the long term contract and Barron is decent, but not dominant. Plus, we need competition at guard. I actually felt good about the guard situation coming into this season, but Terrell and Brown have underwhelmed.

On defense, we need a pass rush and linebackers who can hit. I think signing LL and Pisa to the big contracts were bad decisions, though I can at least see the logic there. But we have a lot of money tied up in these two guys, one of whom isn't performing and the other of whom can't stay healthy. Witherspoon is clearly out of position too. We also need to replace Chavous.

Ugh, there is a lot to be done and I have no confidence in the people running the drafts. I thought the new regime would get it together in the draft room, but last year's draft was unproductive. We'll see about this year's.

badmoforamfan is offline Registered User

At this pace the Rams will have the easiest schedule in the NFL.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Maybe not now, but soon.

UofL17 is offline Registered User

Never hurts to have a backup plus Brohm has more potential. Yes Bulger is proven but if and when he is injured ( directly related to the current state of the O-Line) wouldn't it be nice to have someone that can complete passes to the right team. No knock on Gus but come one he has thrown a lot of ints.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast