tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Rams have serious cornerback issues?

The St. Louis Rams have serious cornerback issues, so look for them to address that in free agency and the draft. Don't be shocked to see the Rams make a run at a big-name corner, perhaps Charles Woodson of the Raiders. If they can't get that done, look for them to use a high draft pick on a corner in April.

This was taken from Pete Prisco's Notebook article on CBSSportsline.com.

My only question is do the Rams really have such serious needs at corner? Butler and Fisher were both injured last year, and Dejuan Groce and Ron Bartell both showed promise

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

Re: Rams have serious cornerback issues?

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247
    The St. Louis Rams have serious cornerback issues, so look for them to address that in free agency and the draft. Don't be shocked to see the Rams make a run at a big-name corner, perhaps Charles Woodson of the Raiders. If they can't get that done, look for them to use a high draft pick on a corner in April.

This was taken from Pete Prisco's Notebook article on CBSSportsline.com.

My only question is do the Rams really have such serious needs at corner? Butler and Fisher were both injured last year, and Dejuan Groce and Ron Bartell both showed promise
    Prisco knows less about football than Bernie knows about low-fat dressing. The Rams won't be going after a big dollar corner. If Clements had been available maybe, but with him franchised, I don't see it happening. And they certainly wouldn't go after a high price, low reward, Postonite like Woodson.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

We won't go after ANY big name Free Agents this year worth signing big contracts. We will waste money on players such as Coakley and Claiborne type players.
    RamsFan16

Truth is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    Prisco knows less about football than Bernie knows about low-fat dressing. The Rams won't be going after a big dollar corner. If Clements had been available maybe, but with him franchised, I don't see it happening. And they certainly wouldn't go after a high price, low reward, Postonite like Woodson.
    I have to agree with you HUB. Plus, I'm a big believer in fixing from the inside out. Meaning that you start fixing a broken "D" at the line, then the LBs, then the DBs. Unless something amazing drops in our lap, that's how I think we need to approach fixing our "D".
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Geez, the defense was the biggest crying point of many fans last season. I know of very few positions on the defense that should not be looked at in the way of a possible upgrade.

Bartell has some upside and showed some flashes last season. Fisher was awful at times. Butler will be coming off serious knee injury. Groce is nothing to get excited about. Ivy is a nickle back at best.

Johnson, Fair, Anderson???

Cmon, consider some new talent at most every position on defense!!!!

Truth is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Ferter
    Geez, the defense was the biggest crying point of many fans last season. I know of very few positions on the defense that should not be looked at in the way of a possible upgrade.

Bartell has some upside and showed some flashes last season. Fisher was awful at times. Butler will be coming off serious knee injury. Groce is nothing to get excited about. Ivy is a nickle back at best.

I agree with always looking for upgrades. I just think it should start on the line.
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

WestSideRamsFan Guest

If we can bring on more pressure onto the opposing teams QBs, we can easily do with the CBs that we already have. Last year our problem was that nobobdy from our team could get to the QB leaving them with plenty of time to find an open target. i think Glover can help us solve this problem. also signing a fast experienced LB wouldnt be bad at all. ( Witherspoon anyone? he is known for his blitz speed)

Quote Originally Posted by WestSideRamsFan
    If we can bring on more pressure onto the opposing teams QBs, we can easily do with the CBs that we already have. Last year our problem was that nobobdy from our team could get to the QB leaving them with plenty of time to find an open target. i think Glover can help us solve this problem. also signing a fast experienced LB wouldnt be bad at all. ( Witherspoon anyone? he is known for his blitz speed)
    I agree with this. It was a lack of pass rush that let the coverage down most of the time.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

If healthy, Butler, Bartell, Fisher and Groce would be serviceable, and potentially better. I agree the Rams need to look to upgrade their DBs overall, but I think there are more glaring weaknesses in the LB corps.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    If healthy, Butler, Bartell, Fisher and Groce would be serviceable, and potentially better. I agree the Rams need to look to upgrade their DBs overall, but I think there are more glaring weaknesses in the LB corps.
    The thing is over the last few years im sure it has been the run that the Rams defense has been weaker against. Also it was only a year ago that Butler was second in the NFC in interceptions. So i dont see the corners being that bad to be honest. Considering that the Rams currently have one starting linebacker, i think LB is a far greater position of need, although i think safety should be targeted ahead of corner as well

Stlskaterprep696 is offline Registered User

Thumbs down Re: Rams have serious cornerback issues?

yo wad up im new and i just wanted to say that i never thought about it till now but most people that r posting r right we need to get more pressure and are guys are fast enough where we should b able to keep the offense contained i think wat we need is a good hitting fs like chris hope or chorey chavous u might not know but that is a good idea the rams said on the website that archuleta is a free agent so we need him and some1 to fill in for furrey over there i think and our coaching has really done us wrong i mean look at the game against houston last year pitiful and im glad dick vermeil has retired if he cant b with the rams then he shouldnt b anywhere

ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

The thing is over the last few years im sure it has been the run that the Rams defense has been weaker against.
    Why pass if you can run? I don't think this theory says anything about our secondary.

However with that theory the front 7 needs to get better first, though we do need a starting safety.

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

However with that theory the front 7 needs to get better first, though we do need a starting safety
    That's exactly what we need. I would really like to see the Rams resign Pickett, we need more depth up front, and if they don't bring Arch back, they better sign a solid safety that can hit.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Well, we've been needing and trying to shore up the D line for the past three years and failed miserably. DLew will go down as another Eddie Kennison, Pickett may have played too well for our pocket book, and Arch is a FA at the right time for him. He's going to be making big coin next year.

Butler is off and on, I swear at the saints bash a few years ago the WR's were open ten yards down the field before the snap. Fisher has been hurt the last two years, Groce is off and on, and Bartell is still unproven. Heck, watching the Rams defense play last year was worse than sitting in the dentist chair, drill going, and they ran out of novacaine right before your visit.

Look for the CB's to get one more chance, S help coming in FA and DL help from only the big Ram in the sky knows.

mh-i is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Ferter

I agree. The Rams D stunk last year from top to bottom. If teams weren't running the ball down our throats they were throwing to wide open receivers. The entire Rams D was a black hole. If the Rams can make an improvement at CB that makes sense cap wise they need to pull the trigger. We also have no starting safeties at the moment. Along with Butler, who is a question mark because of injuries, the D backfield is in my opinion is a wide open competition. Some of our current signed D-backs might be able to step up and start but at the same time might only have enough talent to be back-ups. Even if we end Pro Bowlers at every position in the front 7, not likely, we will face some teams with good offensive lines and then need good pass defense to win games. The Rams need a balanced approach to fixing their defense, a defense that was at the bottom of the NFL in all facets of the game.