Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MACD

Thread: Rams have signed veteran OT Max Starks

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Rams have signed veteran OT Max Starks

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

bruce4life is offline Registered User
    Excellent signing, good depth ...

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Re: Rams have signed veteran OT Max Starks

Could be more than depth if Saffold can't get healthy...

I like the signing.

Starks was cut by the Chargers after he failed to win the starting LT job. With the Rams, if he plays it would be at RT, which he's suited for (he's huge: 6'8, 345).

RealRam is offline Registered User

-- Max Starks

Max Starks, Rams agree to deal
    September 18, 2013, 7:12 PM ET
    By Nick Wagoner | ESPN.com

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- With right tackle Rodger Saffold hobbled by an injury, the Rams made a move to bolster their depth at tackle Wednesday, agreeing to terms with veteran tackle Max Starks on a one-year deal, a league source told ESPN.

Starks started all 16 games at left tackle for Pittsburgh last year and spent this preseason with the Chargers. Originally a third-round pick for Pittsburgh in the 2004 NFL draft, Starks played in 123 regular-season games and 10 playoff games for the Steelers.

Saffold suffered a knee injury against Atlanta last week and did not practice Wednesday. Rams coach Jeff Fisher said Saffold is day to day, but the addition of Starks and fellow tackle Mike Person earlier this week would indicate Saffold will miss at least a little bit of time.

The Rams will have to make a corresponding roster move to make the deal official.

BIG 9-year veteran. I saw he was cut by SD during the preseason last month after a poor show in a game vs SF but definitely has great experience and can play LT and RT:

NFL cuts: Chargers drop LT Max Starks a day after bad performance

PUBLISHED Saturday, Aug 31, 2013 at 4:54 am EDT
    The Associated Press Sporting News

SAN DIEGO — Left tackle Max Starks reached the end of the road Friday, at least with the San Diego Chargers.

After playing what he called "probably one of my worst games in my entire career," Starks was among 11 players cut by the Chargers, who must release 11 more by Saturday afternoon to get down to the 53-man limit.

The 10-year veteran allowed three sacks in a 41-6 loss to the San Francisco ***** in Thursday night's exhibition finale.

Starks, who won two Super Bowl rings with the Pittsburgh Steelers, had already lost the battle with King Dunlap to protect quarterback Philip Rivers' blind side, although rookie coach Mike McCoy hadn't made it official.

On Thursday night, Starks seemed prepared for whatever happened.

Asked how he thought he figured into the mix, Starks said: "That's a good question. I don't know how many guys they're keeping. It's just waiting until Saturday to see if I get the call or if I don't get the call, or if I get ready for the Houston Texans or if I'm going elsewhere.

"If it does happen, it does and you move on. I had the opportunity and made the most of it. But ultimately, it comes down to how this team figures they can compete."

Starks wasn't available for comment Friday.

McCoy said Friday that Starks "struggled a little bit, I think. That's all part of the business. We're moving forward."

Dunlap started and played well in last Saturday night's 24-7 victory at Arizona in the third exhibition game, the one usually considered the dress rehearsal for the regular season.

Dunlap even came back after injuring his right ankle. While Dunlap was getting taped up, Mike Harris, not Starks, replaced him.

Good experience as a starter too:

YR - AGE - TM -- POS - GP - GS

2004 22 - PIT --- T ---10 ---- 0
    2005 23 - PIT -- RT ---16 -- 16
    2006 24 - PIT -- RT ---14 -- 14
    2007 25 - PIT --- T ---16 ---- 4
    2008 26 - PIT -- LT --- 16 -- 11
    2009 27 - PIT -- LT --- 16 -- 16
    2010 28 - PIT -- LT --- 7 ---- 7
    2011 29 - PIT -- LT --- 12 -- 12
    2012 30 - PIT -- LT --- 16 -- 16
    Last edited by RealRam; -09-18-2013 at 07:29 PM. Reason: Format

MACD is offline Registered User

Prepare to have the most illustrious five years of your professional career Mr. Starks!
    KoaKoi likes this.