throwback week

RamWraith is offline Registered User

Rams have some fun at final practice of year

By Bill Coats 12/28/2007 4:17 pm

Humor hasn’t exactly been a staple at Rams Park during this season of discontent. But the mood was light Friday, as the team went through its final full practice of the year.

Coach Scott Linehan again had high-decibel music pumped into the indoor facility, and a number of players exchanged jerseys for the workout. “I guess it’s the World Cup,” Linehan quipped. “It was all fun. This is the last time really practicing in here together. . . . It was interesting to see some of those guys fit into some of those uniforms.”

Such as 315-pound tackle Alex Barron squeezing into wide receiver Marques Hagans’ jersey. Hagans goes about 205.

As for the players who wore their regular numbers? “I guess they have no friends,” Linehan said.

While some fans would prefer that the Rams roll over Sunday at Arizona, thus assuring a higher first-round draft pick in April, that notion is foreign to the players, veteran wide receiver Drew Bennett stressed.

“We’re all professionals here, and I think that you owe it to your teammates and your coaches to play like you would if we were headed to the playoffs,” he said. “I don’t think anybody is going into this game wanting to lose or not caring if we win or lose. The competitive nature of all the guys in this locker room still lets you compete, still lets you want to win.

“Granted, there’s a different kind of energy around the game because it is two teams not headed to the playoffs. But it’s still competitive athletes on the field.”

Added Linehan: “We’re going out there with the intention of winning the football game and basically set our goals for 2008. At the end of the game we’re going to be focused on that right away. We want to be very lofty and have high standards (as far as) our goals. That’s what our plan is going to be, not wait until the offseason to get us going.”

Notes & quotes:

>>A noticeably slimmer Adam Timmerman was a locker-room visitor Friday.

>>Even if Brandon Chillar (calf) suits up Sunday, he’ll probably be in an emergency backup role. Look for rookie Quinton Culberson to start at strongside LB.

>>The Holt Foundation - Rams WR Torry and Cards FS Terrence – will present a $50,000 check Sunday in a pregame ceremony to help create a Kidscan! Cancer Support Program in partnership with St. Joseph’s Hospital and Medical Center in Phoenix. The program will provide educational and emotional support for children whose parents have been diagnosed with cancer.

All for now. . .

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Re: Rams have some fun at final practice of year

As for the players who wore their regular numbers? “I guess they have no friends,” Linehan said.
    Translation: "I still had on my own shirt. Good thing, too, otherwise I wouldn't have known who I was."

>>The Holt Foundation - Rams WR Torry and Cards FS Terrence – will present a $50,000 check Sunday in a pregame ceremony to help create a Kidscan! Cancer Support Program in partnership with St. Joseph’s Hospital and Medical Center in Phoenix. The program will provide educational and emotional support for children whose parents have been diagnosed with cancer.
    I'm glad to see that having a crappy season hasn't diminished the class of our players.

Fargo Ram Fan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith View Post
    While some fans would prefer that the Rams roll over Sunday at Arizona, thus assuring a higher first-round draft pick in April, that notion is foreign to the players, veteran wide receiver Drew Bennett stressed.
    Nonsense! I prefer they play their typical game under coach Lose-a-han...hang in there for a half and score 3 or less in the second half...resulting in the much needed LOSS which will assure a higher first round pick.
    "You people point your 'f'in' finger and say theres the bad guy....what that make you....good?" Tony Montana

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

me thinks too many folks are focused on that draft pick...keep in mind the higher the pick the more its going to cost. And last I looked the RAms would like to re-sign a few players.

WORST STILL Linehan has some say as to who and what he drafts with that pick--so even having the number one pick doesnt inspire my hope. Even if its a good choose I still Wager Linehand is too incompetent to make the most of that players talent

Fargo Ram Fan is offline Registered User

You need to review last years picks. Ill take that draft over most in the Rams last 5 or so.
    "You people point your 'f'in' finger and say theres the bad guy....what that make you....good?" Tony Montana

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

In a related story, Coach Linehan announced that Alex Barron would be returning punts, while Marques Hagans would be playing OT, in the season finale.

PHAT-MONEY Guest

heck yeah.. alex will be awesome at kr.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

The sad thing is that it might be an improvement all around if Barron returned kicks and Hagans plays OT. At least the false starts'll be down.

All things considered I do fully expect a normal game like Fargo said. I expect a 17 point 1st half and a 10 point 2nd, only to lose to a 31 Cards total.