RamsFan16 Guest

Rams have a 'superb' cornerback

Rams have a 'superb' cornerback
    By Jim Thomas
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    04/24/2006

FILE PHOTO: St. Louis Rams safety Fakhir Brown (26) guards wide receiver Dominique Thompson (in white, at right) during Saturday's mini-camp at Rams Park in Earth City.
    ( HUY RICHARD MACH/P-D)

Cornerback Fakhir Brown is superb.

Really. He is.

"'Fakhir' means 'superb,'" Brown explained during Rams minicamp over the weekend. "My father named me."

The Rams obviously hope Brown can play up to his name after signing him to a five-year, $12 million free-agent contract in March.

"I'm coming here to start," Brown says confidently. "That's what I plan to do - to be a starter."

That may come as news to incumbents Jerametrius Butler and Travis Fisher. Fisher has been a primary starter at corner since 2002 but missed 14 games over the past two seasons because of injuries. Butler missed the entire '05 season after starting 31 games at cornerback in '03 and '04.

The Rams' signing of Brown is part of a concerted effort to upgrade the secondary.

"Obviously, that's been an area of concern based on how they've played as of late," coach Scott Linehan said. "The thing I like about Fakhir is he's a competitor. He backs down to nobody.

"He'll come up to bump, has no problem doing it. One of the reasons is he has nice size (5 feet 11, 197 pounds). He's a guy that has a rare combination of athleticism, speed and size. The knock on him coming here was he wasn't able to stay completely healthy."

Born in Detroit, Brown played his high school football in Mansfield (La.), and stayed in Louisiana for college at Grambling State. After college, he spent a year in the Canadian Football League with Toronto, then signed with San Diego in the NFL as an undrafted free agent in 1999. He appeared in 18 games, including 11 starts for the Chargers over the next two seasons, missing seven games in 2000 with a shoulder injury.

Cut at the end of the preseason in 2001, Brown spent a year out of football before landing with New Orleans in 2002. He didn't miss a game in '03 and '04 for the Saints, starting the final 10 contests of '04 at right corner.

At the start of last season, he was considered the Saints' best corner. But just when it looked as if his career was taking off, he suffered a fluke injury in practice.

"I was really trying to make the Pro Bowl," Brown said. "That's what one of my goals was, but I had the little freak accident."

In practice before the second game of the season, Brown collided with defensive end Darren Howard, suffering a bone bruise to his left knee.

"They tried to drain it, but it kept flaring back up, so I had to just let it rest until it healed a little bit," Brown said.

Brown missed the next four games and ended up starting only four times all season. Compounding matters at midseason was a tendon injury to Brown's thumb that required surgery in the offseason.

Because of the recovery and rehab time, Brown was more than a little rusty at Rams minicamp.

"I feel a lot rusty," he said. "Because I wasn't able to work out until I came here."

Even so, Brown made a good first impression on Linehan.

"You can see he's got a lot of time on the job," Linehan said. "Not any anxiety. The guy's played."

Even with the down time because of injuries and the year out of football, Brown still has 74 games and 25 starts on his resume - totals that do not include his CFL stint.

In evaluating Brown before free agency, Linehan said, "All I really needed to do was watch that (2005) opening game when they played Carolina. When he played against Steve Smith, he played as good as anyone did all year. And not many people played very good against Steve Smith last year. . . . That's where he kind of stood out to me."

Apparently, Brown wasn't on Smith the entire game, because Smith did finish with eight catches for 138 yards and a touchdown.

Once the free-agency period started, St. Louis was Brown's first - and last - visit. The fact that three of his former Saints coaches - Jim Haslett, Rick Venturi and Willy Robinson - are on the Rams' defensive staff helped make St. Louis an easy choice.

"It was a pretty big influence," Brown said.

Now the challenge is to pick up where he left off before last season's injury, making 2006 a breakout campaign.

"I hope this will be the year," he said.

Jackson visits

Grady Jackson, a free-agent defensive tackle from the Green Bay Packers, paid a visit to Rams Park on Monday. Contract negotiations could take place later this week.

bigredman Guest

Re: Rams have a 'superb' cornerback

Gee...we have a supurb cornerback through FA, yet some don't want to get Vernon Davis in favor of drafting a DB. Go figure!
    :tongue:

RamsFan16 Guest

Re: Rams have a 'superb' cornerback

Quote Originally Posted by bigredman
    Gee...we have a supurb cornerback through FA, yet some don't want to get Vernon Davis in favor of drafting a DB. Go figure!
    :tongue:
    I know man. If not VD in R1 definately get the Marcedes in ROund 2!!!