Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Rams have the talent to be great

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Rams have the talent to be great

By HUB ARKUSH 11/21/13

As the Bears begin their drive to the playoffs there is danger just down the road in St. Louis. The Rams are one of those young, very talented clubs that is just learning how to be a team. And they’re a classic example of how being bad over a period of time can allow a team to stockpile the kind of talent that can make it good rather suddenly once they figure it out.

The Bears have to hope the Rams' 38-8 demolition of the Colts in Indianapolis wasn’t that sudden turnaround. Between 2007 and 2012, the Rams compiled records of 3-13, 2-14, 1-15, 7-9, 2-14 and 7-8-1.

With the second overall pick in the 2008 draft, they selected Chris Long. Picking second again in 2009, they wasted a pick on Jason Smith but the 35th pick netted James Laurinaitis. In 2010, the Rams selected Sam Bradford with the first overall pick and, in 2011, they used the 14th overall pick on Robert Quinn. In 2012, they won the lotto, trading the second overall pick to the Redskins for a first rounder they traded down to 14 in the first round to select Michael Brockers and the Redskins’ 2013 and 2014 first-round choices. In 2013, the Rams selected Tavon Austin and Alec Ogletree in the first round and they still have their own and the Redskins' first round choices for 2014.

The Rams have also used high second- and third-round picks over the past three years to add tight end Lance Kendricks, wide receiver Austin Pettis, wide receiver Brian Quick, cornerback Janoris Jenkins, running back Isaiah Pead, cornerback Trumaine Johnson, safety T. J. McDonald and wide receiver Steadman Bailey.

Not all of those players will hit, but when your roster includes five first-round picks over the past four drafts and 12 players selected in the past three years in the first three rounds, you’ve got an awful lot of exciting young athletes to work with. With the strategic additions of just a few veteran free agents like Jake Long, Cortland Finnegan and Jared Cook, it’s easy to see how this team is on the cusp.

The main reason they haven’t arrived yet is the continued uncertainty whether or not Bradford can be the franchise quarterback you hope for with a No. 1 overall pick. And with him now done for the year with a torn ACL, head coach Jeff Fisher is left looking for other ways to win. One of the things he’s turned to is the outstanding speed he and his predecessors have stockpiled.

“This is at least the fastest team that we’re going to play all year and they’re on the surface that they like," Bears coach Marc Trestman said. "The focus for us has to be on fundamentals and techniques.

“Technique is really the critical factor in everything we do. You have to step with the right foot, have your hands and eyes in the right place, when your at the line of scrimmage and the perimeter you have to have a plan for how your going to beat bump and run. Generally, at the perimeter, technique can overcome speed.”

So the Bears have a bunch of veterans with great technique who know how to win, but are they good enough? The Rams have the young athletes who can be good enough, but can they learn how to win? By being almost good enough but making just one playoff trip in the past six years, the Bears are now looking at a rebuild without the high picks the Rams have used to stock their roster.

The Rams may be a couple players away from being good enough for a number of years to come.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Re: Rams have the talent to be great

[QUOTE]By HUB ARKUSH 11/21/13

The main reason they haven’t arrived yet is the continued uncertainty whether or not Bradford can be the franchise quarterback you hope for with a No. 1 overall pick. And with him now done for the year with a torn ACL, head coach Jeff Fisher is left looking for other ways to win. One of the things he’s turned to is the outstanding speed he and his predecessors have stockpiled.
    The main reason we haven't arrived is because of uncertainty regarding Sam Bradford's status as a bonafide franchise qb? Sorry, but I can't agree with that statement at all. There are far too many other contributing factors/players not to mention schemes (on both sides of the ball), dropped passes, stupid penalties, injuries etc. to hang our "not arriving" on Sam. Granted, he has not proven as of yet to be "Superman" at this point, but he surely is not the reason we haven't "arrived" - at least IMHO.
    The Rams may be a couple players away from being good enough for a number of years to come.
    "Good enough"? Good enough to be a playoff team perennially would work for me, not sure what HUB meant there.

emuen is offline Registered User

Well since the last paragraph talks about being "good enough" for the playoffs, I think it is safe to say that was what he meant

Bradford sure isn't the main reason we are not a playoff team. However, the author is right Bradford haven't been what you hoped for with the first overall pick.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

He may not be the main reason the Rams haven't arrived yet, but I believe it's safe to say that the Rams won't arrive until Sam does.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    What a load of nonsense. Just another lame attempt to point the finger at Bradford.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.......

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    What a load of nonsense. Just another lame attempt to point the finger at Bradford.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.......
    This probably would make for a good thread, but I'm posing it directly to you AV, since you have an issue with my opinion of Sam Bradford.

If I asked you to access Bradford's career to this point in relation to his draft status, what would you say given the following 3 choices?

1. Bradford has superceded his draft status

2. Bradford has underachieved based on his draft status

3. Bradford's performance to this point in his career is in line with being the 1st pick in the draft.

citr92 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    This probably would make for a good thread, but I'm posing it directly to you AV, since you have an issue with my opinion of Sam Bradford.

If I asked you to access Bradford's career to this point in relation to his draft status, what would you say given the following 3 choices?

3. Bradford's performance to this point in his career is in line with being the 1st pick in the draft.
    4. the quarterback's performance IS affected by what is around him

he HAS shown what he's capable of, but players around him have let him down in many cases

it's showing with other quarterbacks that are considered elite or near elite and they're putting up more pedestrian numbers with better players leaving

sam's ranked 11 among qbs in qbr, and he's been out a while, imagine him getting to play with the way the rams are now?

rams would be 7-4, and would you argue against it?

Most probably would actually...

Quote Originally Posted by citr92 View Post
    4. the quarterback's performance IS affected by what is around him

he HAS shown what he's capable of, but players around him have let him down in many cases

it's showing with other quarterbacks that are considered elite or near elite and they're putting up more pedestrian numbers with better players leaving

sam's ranked 11 among qbs in qbr, and he's been out a while, imagine him getting to play with the way the rams are now?

rams would be 7-4, and would you argue against it?

Most probably would actually...
    First of all, if you're going to respond to something not intended for you, at least meet the criteria. There is no number 4 in this case, either he has performed at a level beyond, on par with, or below his draft status expectations.

Secondly, I fully understand that this is a team game and that everybody's success is due in large part to other players. Still there are players who have risen above their circumstances and others who have not. To this point Sam Bradford is in the "have not" category IMO.

And finally, I don't think there was any doubt, he was beginning to show promise just prior to his injury, but I could only hope that we would be 7-4. I don't know that for sure and neither do you.

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post

I don't care about his "draft status." Unless he wins the Super Bowl MVP after leading the NFL in passing, some fans will never believe he's lived up to his status as the first overall pick.

To me, the operative question is whether I believe he is a good enough starting NFL QB to be part of a Championship team. I believe he is.

jjigga3000 is offline Registered User

Up to now all I can say about Bradford is he's not good and he's not bad. Can he be good I don't know, it's like no one wants to point the finger at anyone in this forum. Personally I believe Bradford will not win us a Championship. I don't think he's that type of player based upon the 3 years I've seen him play. We can blame the receivers but the receivers haven't been doing that bad under Clemens. Let's be clear I can't stand Clemens but he's been winning games pretty impressively. One could say it's been the play calling, but the same play calling had Bradford looking like a player that's not that great. So which is Bradford the players or the play calling. Well let's ask another question. What's changed in the past few weeks? Well for one we've found a 1 2 punch in the running game with Stay/Cunningham. 2 Bradford was injured.

Clemens has been "winning games impressively"?

Yeah... he really sparked the running game today (eye roll).

It's as though some of you have no clue how NFL games are won and lost.

BrokenWing is offline Registered User

Name one game *Kellen Clemens* has won.
    "I've been saving the Universe for over a thousand years. I figure it owes me just this once."

Rodger Saffold started at OG the last 2 games. Clearly, that is what we've been missing all these years.

richtree is offline Registered User

we beat 2 teams that were littered with injury...we have SF , Sea, and NO....probably cant hang with any of these....then TB and AZ .....luck if we go any better than 1-4

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    we beat 2 teams that were littered with injury...we have SF , Sea, and NO....probably cant hang with any of these....then TB and AZ .....luck if we go any better than 1-4
    We've dealt with our fair share of injuries also and still manage to come way with some nice wins, I don't see your point. Fisher defies the concept of predetermined losses by bringing the best out of our players and exploiting weaknesses of opposing teams. The Whiners are beatable but this will be a huge test for our offense as we will be facing a real defense.

♪ R.I.P. Nujabes ♫
    Your beat still laments the world

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast