Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

Re: Rams Have Their Defensive Coordinator

On paper, this looks like the perfect man for the job. I still haven't seen anything to really weigh in on his hiring. But can't think of anyone else who is available that I would want.

What I like this season is the influx of new blood in the coaching ranks. No retreads so far coming to the Rams, and like the possibility that they are looking for nuggets of talent outside of the old guard.

The marriage of Martz and Vermil no one would have thought would be a combustable combo--But it was! So there is hope that maybe the Rams D can arrise from the ashes

txramsfan is offline Registered User

I don't know about the rest of you, but I haven't heard of this guy until now. I know the Panthers have had a good LB unit, so that's a plus but as far as sayiing I'm thrilled about this well......

Irishrover40 is offline Registered User

Good Lord,"the feelings of a little child coming downstairs on a Christmas morning to open my presents from Santa" are continuing for this 68 year old man.God how I truely love the excitement, and the expectations for the future!!!!!!!!!!

You go, Billy & Spags, you go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

39thebeast is offline Registered User

He knows the blitzing scheme he was part of the staff that hired Spags. Spags has hired 2 great coaches who are winners that he is familiar with. Draft was pro bowl MLB and Spoon was a pro bowl WLB under him he is familiar with our lbs and he really knows how to use both these guys to play their best. If we add one more rookie or FA we would have good LB crew for Spags and Flajole to work with

TKnight39 is offline Registered User

I love the way things are looking so far!!!

TekeRam is offline Registered User

I just hope that we get a good secondary coach. That's the key for me at this point. Spags knows the line and is good overall. Flajole knows linebackers. If we get someone who can really improve the secondary... I'm looking at Herm Edwards if he gets released as a great target... we'd have a very complete coaching team for the defense.

Alec22 is offline Registered User

I love the pick. A DB's coach for seattle, and Lb's coach for SEA and Car, with Car having stud Defenses and great Lb's. He soundes like a nice aggressive solid pick. Maybe he can get bart scott in here?? haha

RealRam is offline Registered User

From Sports.ESPN.go. Updated 01-21-09 1:36 pm ET

Report: Panthers' Flajole joins Rams

Report: Panthers' Flajole joins Rams

Carolina Panthers assistant Ken Flajole has joined the St. Louis Rams as defensive coordinator, the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported Wednesday, citing league sources.

Steve Spagnuolo hired to be the coach of the Rams.
    Flajole, most recently the linebackers coach for the Panthers, will join offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur on new coach Steve Spagnuolo's staff, according to the report.

Flajole, 54, has spent the past six seasons on the Panthers' staff. He also was an assistant with the Seattle Seahawks, the Green Bay Packers and at Missouri .

The newspaper also reported that the Rams had obtained permission from the University of Minnesota to speak with assistant Paul Ferraro for their special teams coaching vacancy. Ferraro, a college teammate of Spagnuolo, has been the Golden Gophers' special team coach for the past three seasons.

Spagnuolo was introduced as the Rams' head coach on Monday.
    Last edited by RealRam; -01-22-2009 at 06:19 PM. Reason: Update info added

bigtiger737 is offline Registered User

Like this move I think he's a good hire, I wonder if in anyway (although I realize I am only being overoptimistic) if this could influence a salty pepper to look to blue n gold

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    I just hope that we get a good secondary coach. That's the key for me at this point. Spags knows the line and is good overall. Flajole knows linebackers. If we get someone who can really improve the secondary... I'm looking at Herm Edwards if he gets released as a great target... we'd have a very complete coaching team for the defense.
    Spagnuolo actually was a defensive backs coach for the majority of his coaching career. He fell into the more than capable hands of Justin Tuck, Michael Strahan and Osi Umenyiora when he got the job in NYC.

What I like about this hire is Flajole's history with Witherspoon and Draft, both outside backers in Tgvorac's defensive schemes. Flajole obviously had a lot to do with that group and the successes of Dan Morgan (who racked up 25 tackles in a Superbow before losing his career to concussion) and Jon Beason (see above). I'd like to think this means a new man in the middle, hopefully a big man. The Panthers ran the sort of defense wherein you could have a little guy in the middle because everyone around him was so big. I think duty calls for an Urlacher prototype right in the middle of this defense.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12