Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Rams have worst OL in Football, per Evan Silva

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Re: Rams have worst OL in Football, per Evan Silva

I agree with much of what he said, but I don't understand why he thinks Saffold is better suited for the right side.

He isn't known to be the most physical run blocker around and I thought (well, until last year) that pass blocking was his supposed forte.

I'm still wondering if we should have taken Cordy Glenn at 33 in this past draft and looked to pick up B. Quick a little later in the round.

Glenn would have been an instant starter at LG and also has the ability to play OT if the need should arise.

WHAT SAY YE?

rammiser is offline Registered User

Our entire team sucked last year. However how can you base this years rankings off of an o line that has changed more than half its starters? This is stupid just like pre-season college rankings. Our o line will be improved just as our entire team will improve. I put no stock in crap like this and thats just what it is CRAP.
    Just Fix It

Fortuninerhater is online now Registered User

I don't know why I'm not concerned in the least, but I am not.

1) Jason Smith has talent, otherwise he would not've been drafted number two overall. This is the year that he begins to pay dividends. In fact, he's already started by re-structuring his contract.

2) Roger Saffold will be in a similar offense to his rookie season where he performed well.

3) Scott Wells will undoubtedly be an upgrade at center over Jason Brown.

4) Paul Boudreau will make a huge difference coaching the O-Line.

5) With a new offense that will be more predicated on the run first, and ball control passing game, every one of our linemen will be improved, for the simple fact that they will not have to hold blocks as long.

For those five reasons, I haven't the slightest concern about our line, as long as they remain healthy.

And I guess I need to remind GC that Steven Jackson is the only RB in the NFL (currently) to rush for over 1,000 yards in seven straight seasons. It would seem to me that there have been at least some tiny seams carved out by the O-line from time to time.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I'm a little surprised that we were ranked last, but with question marks on both tackle positions and one guard position, as well as a lack of depth, I can see how one could arrive at that conclusion. On the upside, we still have a young line and likely a less demanding offensive system than last year, so there are reasons to hope that we will in fact see real improvement.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    I agree with much of what he said, but I don't understand why he thinks Saffold is better suited for the right side.

He isn't known to be the most physical run blocker around and I thought (well, until last year) that pass blocking was his supposed forte.

I'm still wondering if we should have taken Cordy Glenn at 33 in this past draft and looked to pick up B. Quick a little later in the round.

Glenn would have been an instant starter at LG and also has the ability to play OT if the need should arise.

WHAT SAY YE?
    As far as Glenn goes, as much as OL was a need, WR was a bigger need, and after missing out on Blackmon, and most likely with Jenkins already planned at 39, the Rams could not afford to let their top WR picks keep coming off the board. OL can be addressed more easily later in than draft than WR can.

Also, Saffold is small and has short arms for a "franchise" LT (Which still means he is a giant of a man) and was projected as better on the right side or at guard because of his physical shortcomings.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

I am not surprised we are ranked last.

Honestly, our O-Line is a major weakness. Saffold has really bad technique and lacks strength, which was apparent last season.

There is a huge hole at left guard, and merely saying that Watkins will come in and be a solid left guard because of his size is ignorant.

Scott Wells looks like a big upgrade over Jason Brown, but 90% of FA's that we sign underachieve after they arrive. We'll see how he plays this season.

Harvey Dahl is probably the lone bright spot on our O-line, and even he didn't play up to par to his usual performance last season.

Jason Smith is still very raw, possesses very unrefined sloppy technique, and has a history of bad injuries. He's not on the field very much, and when he is he's not much of an asset.

Looking at our O-line, there's definitely some worry about holes and lack of talent. Jason Smith should honestly be switched to OG where his below average technique can be made up for with his above average strength and drive blocking.

Saffold is almost purely a finesse blocker. This was made very apparent when he was getting bulldozed by smaller defensive ends.

If Saffold can get stronger and refine his technique...if Smith can stay healthy and work on his footwork and use of hands...if Wells can play like he's 5 years younger...if Harvey Dahl stays motivated and keeps playing at a high level...if someone can step in and be a good fill-in at LG...

Then maybe we won't be ranked #32 after the season is over.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

I don't know if the Rams deserve to be ranked dead last, but they're certainly worthy of being near the bottom.

Neither Saffold nor Smith did much of anything to inspire confidence in anyone last year, and they're both back in 2012. Only time will tell if the coaching staff can improve their play, but it's easy to understand why an outsider would be down on them.

Dahl was solid at right guard and definitely a big upgrade over the likes of Adam Goldberg, but for as inconsistent as Jacob Bell could be at times, left guard is an even bigger question mark now that he isn't there. The options to replace him don't give out much confidence either. Wells on the interior is an upgrade over Brown on paper, but we all thought Brown was the answer when he arrived, and it only took a few seasons to sour on him.

I'm optimistic about the Wells signing and this staff's potential to get the lineman to play better, but I don't think there's anything wrong with a "believe it when I see it" approach when it comes to the Rams' OL, especially coming off of last year.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    I don't know why I'm not concerned in the least, but I am not.

1) Jason Smith has talent, otherwise he would not've been drafted number two overall. This is the year that he begins to pay dividends. In fact, he's already started by re-structuring his contract.

2) Roger Saffold will be in a similar offense to his rookie season where he performed well.

3) Scott Wells will undoubtedly be an upgrade at center over Jason Brown.

4) Paul Boudreau will make a huge difference coaching the O-Line.

5) With a new offense that will be more predicated on the run first, and ball control passing game, every one of our linemen will be improved, for the simple fact that they will not have to hold blocks as long.

For those five reasons, I haven't the slightest concern about our line, as long as they remain healthy.

And I guess I need to remind GC that Steven Jackson is the only RB in the NFL (currently) to rush for over 1,000 yards in seven straight seasons. It would seem to me that there have been at least some tiny seams carved out by the O-line from time to time.
    Who are you, and what have you done with Fortuninerhater?

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

The only thing i would say is if the Rams don't deserve to be last, who does? I can't think of a team that stands out as having a worse OL

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    The only thing i would say is if the Rams don't deserve to be last, who does? I can't think of a team that stands out as having a worse OL
    The only answer I can give is "who knows"? The Rams' OL is a perfect example. You have Saffold - who was very good in 2010, and then regressed in 2011 (in part, due to injury) and Smith - who was injured for much of 2011 as well. Then you have Dahl, who was good last year, and Wells who was very good - on another team. Finally, you have the second OG, who is ????

Way too many variables to have a meaningful ranking at this point.

moravcik69 is offline Registered User

Yep wouldn't disagree the line is a work in progress, but he has Belicheats Patriots at #2, and I'm no pro but when Brady was wearing the Giant's d-line in the last superbowl I didn't think wow this must be the second best line in the league! I think there are other factors, like receivers that can get seperation so a QB doesn't have to hold on to the ball for ever. We gotta have a little faith and a lot of hope!

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    The only answer I can give is "who knows"? The Rams' OL is a perfect example. You have Saffold - who was very good in 2010, and then regressed in 2011 (in part, due to injury) and Smith - who was injured for much of 2011 as well. Then you have Dahl, who was good last year, and Wells who was very good - on another team. Finally, you have the second OG, who is ????

Way too many variables to have a meaningful ranking at this point.
    Of course, but to be honest, that's the same with any preseason ranking. Tons of things happen between the end of the previous season and the start of the next

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Respect must be earned. People judge a team based on its recent body of work, and while obviously 2012 is a different year than 2011, last year's miserable effort and offensive line woes are fresh in the memories of fans and prognositcators. Until this group shows us differently, viewing them with a wide degree of skepticism and criticism is more than justified.

You don't like the way you're judged? Do something to prove the critics wrong.

Fortuninerhater is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    Who are you, and what have you done with Fortuninerhater?
    Not exactly sure how to take that comment, but one thing you can count on from me is, "I'll call it how I see it", no matter what.

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

Imagine--of all the football players who have played the game and are still playing it, the NFL has the best players. Now consider of the 32 teams, the Rams have the "worst" players at the line--I am not buying it. Oh the Rams have issues certainly on the O-line, but its not because of talant or athletic ability.

Team chemistry, lack of unity, but mostly lack of effort has put the Rams at the bottem--or near the bottom. They play with no pride nor effort to get better. Granted the Rams do need more talant on the line especially at LT. The real reason behind the Rams disappointing lack of performence rests on the coaching staff.

J. McDanials spread offense last year with the Rams REALLY! Without a committed O-line buying into the program nor having weapons for Bradford--SERIOUSLY! There is a reason why the Rams have a new coaching staff--thank god.
    Now its Fisher and crew to work with what they have and build a team. Whats working for Fisher is he has a reputation of success--that will help. But am thinking Fisher has what it takes to instill toughness and bring out performance. I don't see Fisher building a flashy team, especially on offense but more a IN-YOUR-FACE style. Hopefully he can inspire the professionalism many of the Rams have lacked--but since Fisher realize its another re-build for the Rams, he will not be affraid to cut the dead weight off the team

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12