RamWraith is offline Registered User

Rams | Hawthorne Released

Rams | Hawthorne Released
    Thu, 13 Oct 2005 13:04:13 -0700

ESPNews reports the St. Louis Rams have released S Michael Hawthorne.

RamWraith is offline Registered User

Re: Rams | Hawthorne Released

http://www.stlouisrams.com/article/51589/

The Rams have officially released starting free safety Michael Hawthorne. There is no replacement on the active roster for Hawthorne yet and St. Louis has 52 on the active roster at this point.

Hawthorne struggled in coverage and as a tackler in his short stay in St. Louis after coming over from Green Bay in the offseason. Converted receiver Mike Furrey replaced Hawthorne when Hawthorne left Sunday's game because of an ankle injury. Furrey is the likely starter against the Colts on Monday night.

Rookie Oshiomogho Atogwe will probably be active for the first time since the opener and could also figure into the mix unless the Rams can bring in a replacement they feel comfortable with on short notice.

In addition, St. Louis released center Toby Cecil from the practice squad and brought receiver Brandon Middleton bac

txramsfan is offline Registered User

According to my calender in Austin, it's only October 13. Did Christmas come early?

viper is offline Registered User

Unfortunately, this decision HAD to be made. Hawthorne wasn't much of a free safety, but, he contributed quite a bit on special teams coverage.

I'm hoping to see Atogwe and Bartell get into the mix. I hope they are ready or can get up to speed quickly. We need some new blood in the seconday and fast!

general counsel is offline Registered User

The youth movement has begun. in fairness to hawthorne, we all knew he wasnt really a starter, but a fill in and a special teams player.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

RamJackson39 is offline Registered User

It's now time to put Bartell and Atogwe on the field. Players dont learn anything by sitting on the bench, and I have always been a fan of baptism by fire. I hope too see these two out there contributing Monday, there's no way that things could get worse with them out there.

moklerman is offline Registered User

Is it just coincidence that these recent cuts are being made at the same time Martz is away? Does Vitt have the authority to be making these decisions or is this all front office stuff? Is the team going to be reshaped while Martz is out of action?

viper is offline Registered User

It seems like they would have kept him as a backup for his special team skills. It makes me think that maybe they hope to pick up another player. Could be a FS, CB or who knows what. Anyone care to speculate? Hmmm?

STLRAMSFAN Guest

I don’t mind the move but I am interested in who is making the calls and with whose input.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by moklerman
    Is it just coincidence that these recent cuts are being made at the same time Martz is away? Does Vitt have the authority to be making these decisions or is this all front office stuff? Is the team going to be reshaped while Martz is out of action?
    Maybe this just proves that Martz doesn't have as much pull as most people think.

moklerman is offline Registered User

Maybe this just proves that Martz doesn't have as much pull as most people think.
    I don't know if it really proves much of anything but I would look at it from the other direction, Tex. I think all these moves now that he's gone lends to the theory that Martz was doing things differently than the F.O. wanted to do them. Now that he, and his power/influence are out of the picture (temporarily?), the F.O. is doing it their way.

It doesn't really matter, I suppose, but I do like that whoever it is, is getting rid of some apparent dead weight (the punter specifically).

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

I'd take tx's angle here. Martz probably has a lot more weight on the offensive side of the ball, but defensively I doubt he has anything to do with the personnel.