Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    BigGameMN is offline Registered User

Re: Rams Hire Al Roberts to Coach ST

I'm sorry but I think this decision stinks. Hiring someone he knows, who just happens to be out of the league coaching at the high school level? It doesn't even say he was a head coach at the HS level, just coaching there. Your here to win coach, not bring in your stupid friends.

Oh yeah, he also brought in Mike Cox to be the defensive quality control guy. Here's a shocker, they were college roomates. The guy has never even been in the NFL before. He was a linebackers coach at Michigan St. the past 4 years, and that translates to this position how? Has Michigan State been churning out defensive powerhouses? Of course not, they've been one of the worse defensive teams in College Football for a while now. How about that Notre Dame comeback, Mike Cox?

Maybe I'm wrong, I've been wrong before and I've never been afriad to admit it. I hope and pray that I am wrong, because I don't like this.
    Last edited by BigGameMN; -01-29-2007 at 11:32 PM.

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Re: With all do respect to linehans decision....

Whats uglier. His looks or the fact that Linehan hired him right out of High School?
    RamsFan16

Guam rammer is offline Registered User

here we go again!!! another stollen play from Martzs' playbook.

I did some googling on Al Roberts. All I can say is....Oh No. Take a look at this from the AP after Roberts was fired from the Bengals:

Following their 2-14 season, the Bengals fired head coach Dick LeBeau. They also fired special teams coach Al Roberts, who had kept his job even though the Bengals' kicking teams were among the league's worst for several years.
    I also found out that during a game against the Lions the Bengals allowed a KR and a PR for a touchdown and Dick LeBeau become angry with Roberts on the sideline, basically blaming it on him. Here:

A taped viewing of the Bengals' special teams debacles at Detroit didn't make coach Al Roberts feel any better Sunday.

''If you want to blame someone, blame me,'' Roberts said of Friday's 27-24 win vs. the Lions, a game that saw the hosts run a kickoff and a punt back for touchdowns.

''It's my fault. We went with different people (in kick and punt coverage), but it's still my fault. The kids didn't react fast enough. It was still my fault. If we were too soft, it was my fault.''

Roberts, the Bengals' special teams coach, spent much of the weekend chasing Detroit wideout Larry Foster in his sleep. That's because the Bengals failed to catch Foster in the field - he ran back a punt 80 yards for a score in the second quarter and opened the second half by taking the kickoff up the left sideline 101 yards for another touchdown.

Coach Dick LeBeau appeared visibly upset with Roberts on the sideline of the Silverdome, a concern that spilled over into his postgame news conference.

Asked what he saw that needed to be fixed on coverage, LeBeau replied, ''What don't I see? We're going get that solved.''
    This is who we want? A guy who couldn't cut in the NFL and had to go back to High School?!

Curly Horns is online now Registered User

:l

ATTENTION ALL....THIS JUST IN:

The Fans have spoken....

All friends and buddies of head coach Scott Linehan, currently on the Rams coaching staff, will be fired due to the knucklehead complaints of fans.

Sadly this will also include Linehan's close friends Greg Olson, Doug Nussmeier, and Randy Hanson.

Numerous others will also be let go including friends Ron Milus and Wayne Moses.

What can we say Scott? The fans have spoken and they know their stuff!!

:l

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

I wonder if the fans in Buffalo felt the same way about Bobby April when he was hired by the Bills after being booted out of St. Louis for gross incompetence?

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

When Roberts was ST coach of the Bengals the team was terrible. Id hardly use his performance with them as a mark of his coaching ability.

After some sleep I've calmed down on this issue a little bit. I still don't like it but I'll just have to trust Linehan on this one. I didn't like Greg Olsen when we brought him on board either and he turned out fine, so I'll just give this time. I'm still troubled that he went from the NFL to High School but I suppose that could have been a personal decision.

majorram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    I wonder if the fans in Buffalo felt the same way about Bobby April when he was hired by the Bills after being booted out of St. Louis for gross incompetence?
    excellent point mate!!!

steve:l
    "The breakfast Club"

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by BigGameMN View Post
    Oh yeah, he also brought in Mike Cox to be the defensive quality control guy. Here's a shocker, they were college roomates. The guy has never even been in the NFL before. He was a linebackers coach at Michigan St. the past 4 years, and that translates to this position how? Has Michigan State been churning out defensive powerhouses? Of course not, they've been one of the worse defensive teams in College Football for a while now. How about that Notre Dame comeback, Mike Cox?

Maybe I'm wrong, I've been wrong before and I've never been afriad to admit it. I hope and pray that I am wrong, because I don't like this.
    Okay, Can someone please explain to me what a Defensive Quality Control Coach does? What are the players making license plates during the off-season or something? :x

Or does he make sure Haslett has the right colored socks on?

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Haslett: "Man, our Special Teams play like a bunch of High Schoolers!"

Linehan: "Hey... that gives me an idea..."

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Of course the comeback for that would be that Bobby April got another job in the NFL, while Al Roberts had to go back to coaching High School. But like I said that could have been a personal decision.

On another note, do you guys think it matters that the HS Football team he coached went 0-9? I just found that out. You would think a NFL quality coach could do better then 0-9.
    Last edited by BigGameMN; -01-30-2007 at 10:33 AM.

MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Every coach and every player have their good days and their bad days. Saying Roberts stinks because his ST unit in Cincinnati allowed a couple of touchdowns would be akin to saying Haslett stinks because Tye Hill got beat and allowed a couple of touchdowns. As far as coaches hiring their "buddies" -- this goes on every year at all levels. And why not? Coaches become familiar with one another when working together and come to know each other's coaching philosophies. Linehan knows that his job security depends the people he surrounds himself with. His hiring of Jim Haslett certainly wasn't because they were "buddies" If Scott believes that Roberts can breath new life into Rams ST then let's give the guy a shot. It could be that Roberts is a master teacher and motivator and that ostensibly those assets are why Scott brought him on board. It isn't going to matter who Scott brings on board as ST coach unless the Rams upgrade their personnel. In summary, I see nothing wrong with Linehan's bringing people on board who share his views on how players should be coached.

We will just have to wait and see what happens and hope for the best just like we have to do with every new addition whether it be a player or a coach.

general counsel is offline Registered User

I wish everyone would take a deep breath on this for a second. Linehan, like any manager, is entitled to hire people that he is comfortable with. As the head coach, he takes full responsibility for the coaches he hires and for the overall performance of the team. I personally respect linehan for hiring the guy he wants without worrying about criticism from people who will say that he isnt right for the job because (i) he has been out of the nfl for three years or so and/or (ii) they are old friends.

No one on this board is in a position to judge who is and isnt qualified for an nfl coaching position. Past results are never good enough for the people on this board or for any other fans for that matter. Take bobby april as case in point. There is NO more qualified coach in the nfl than april. He has been coach of the year and had teams that led the league in the applicable categories.

And yet, when the rams special teams under april were terrible, what did everyone say? FIRE APRIL, as if it was going to matter who the coach was when martz refused to draft, sign or suit up guys on sunday who were special teams experts. April leaves the rams, goes to buffalo and wins coach of the year the next year. Do you guys think thats because he was a great coach with buffalo and lousy with the rams or maybe, just maybe, do you think its because he had better players.

I dont want to debate marmie again and i am not defending him, but i will say that our defense was just about as bad this year under haslett and i didnt see people crucifying him every week just because he wasnt linehans buddy.

I thought liggy did a pretty good job in the sense that we improved over the past, but we also put reasonable emphasis on special teams personnel this year. NEvertheless, its scotts show and if coach linehan wasnt comfortable with liggy, than i am supportive of making a change. If we continue to put emphasis on practicing special team, and drafting and signing to assist us on sundays in that area, i am sure that we will improve with this guy as the coach.

I have no reservations about this move. I dont know if it will turn out good or bad, but i have faith in linehan to select the guy that HE thinks is best for the job without worrying about what the fans think. If the special teams stink and we lose games because of it, NO ONE on this board suffers as much as coach linehan for the coaching decision he made.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    Every coach and every player have their good days and their bad days. Saying Roberts stinks because his ST unit in Cincinnati allowed a couple of touchdowns would be akin to saying Haslett stinks because Tye Hill got beat and allowed a couple of touchdowns. As far as coaches hiring their "buddies" -- this goes on every year at all levels. And why not? Coaches become familiar with one another when working together and come to know each other's coaching philosophies. Linehan knows that his job security depends the people he surrounds himself with. His hiring of Jim Haslett certainly wasn't because they were "buddies" If Scott believes that Roberts can breath new life into Rams ST then let's give the guy a shot. It could be that Roberts is a master teacher and motivator and that ostensibly those assets are why Scott brought him on board. It isn't going to matter who Scott brings on board as ST coach unless the Rams upgrade their personnel. In summary, I see nothing wrong with Linehan's bringing people on board who share his views on how players should be coached.

We will just have to wait and see what happens and hope for the best just like we have to do with every new addition whether it be a player or a coach.
    Excellent post MauiRam. This hire may work out or it may be a disaster, we won't know until Roberts gets a chance. Tearing the guy down before day one is getting way ahead of the game. Like Bobby April, who had a horrible reputation after being chased out of New Orleans and then St. Louis, Roberts may just need the right situation to succeed. Hopefully, coaching under Linehan is it.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast