Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    sbramfan is offline Registered User

Re: Rams Hire Al Roberts to Coach ST

Football: Special Teams
    GREAT TAPE!
    Kick-Off Coverage and Return 96144 FB 96144

Instruction by: Al Roberts, Former Special Teams Coach, Arizona Cardinals and Cincinnati Bengals
    Al Roberts insight into what it takes to have a successful kick-off and return teams. Coach Roberts demonstrates his progression for his cover team, from walk through right up to full speed simulations. Roberts then shares his techniques for returning via the right of left wedge. Roberts has a definite passion for special teams. VHS Length: 40:00 ($39.95)

http://www.howtosports.com/football_special_teams.php

(I hope the opposing teams don't have a copy of his special teams instructional video!!)
    Last edited by sbramfan; -01-30-2007 at 07:07 PM.

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Wow all of this complaining about a guy you don't even know, and have no idea what he's capable of. Way to give the guy a chance. :x
    Quote Originally Posted by RealRam
    What next, NFL gay players kissing on the mouth. To me it is S.O.S.: simply/obscene/sickening. Rest assured I will never cheer for a known homo player

seahawksrule is offline Registered User

I know him personally. I go to Garfield High School in Seattle Washington (GO HAWKS!) and he was my football coach.
    Goodbye Coach Robert. He led the bulldogs to a 1 and 15 record over two years. Hope your team knows what it's getting into.

BigGameMN is offline Registered User

I'm still miffed by this. People can make excuses all they want but it seems to me we hired a HS football coach that was probably going to get fired. The Seahawk fan who posted on this thread isn't the only one laughing. I've read posts on other boards by more than 1 who know this guy and their straight out laughing at us. I'm praying you know what your doing coach!

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

:l

Garfield High is not a football school. Many coaches have tried and failed there - they are a perennial dog.

However they do have a claim to fame:

Jimi Hendrix attended Garfield High, but he failed to graduate.

BTW - Great Post GC

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Ferter View Post

Garfield High is not a football school.

However they do have a claim to fame:

Jimi Hendrix attended Garfield High, but he failed to graduate.
    Who was he the Defensive Quality Control Coach?

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Garfield High is not a football school. Many coaches have tried and failed there - they are a perennial dog.
    That's what I understand too Ferter. Perennial dog is an understatement. They were apparently on a 19 game losing streak when Roberts took over. Despite their dismal football history, Roberts stuck with it a second year even after Linehan tried to convince him to join the Rams staff last year. That tells me he's motivated by conviction and not the almighty dollar. I'm more than willing to give him a chance before I rip him apart.
    Last edited by r8rh8rmike; -01-31-2007 at 12:04 AM. Reason: Bad grammar.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    That's what I understand too Ferter. Perennial dog is an understatement. They were apparently on a 19 game losing streak when Roberts took over. Despite their dismal football history, Roberts stuck with it a second year even after Linehan tried to convince him to join the Rams staff last year. That tells me he's motivated by conviction and not the almighty dollar. I'm more than willing to him a chance before I rip him apart.
    I say rip, rip rip....!!!

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    I say rip, rip rip....!!!
    You're definitely having a good time with this dude, too good.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Hey Mike!

It would seem that Al Roberts has not lost any faith in America's youth and possibly enjoys a challenge in trying to motivate kids. Certainly that attitude is a must with todays over-paid NFL athletes.

Who was he the Defensive Quality Control Coach?
    Alright laram0, please forgive that fact that I am not familar with you or your wisenheimerisms.

I could be mistaken, but Molly McGrath comes to mind as the DQCC. Surprisingly enough she is a dead ringer for Goldie Hawn.

On a somewhat serious note:

Okay, Can someone please explain to me what a Defensive Quality Control Coach does?
    Pick your poison:

Simple answer - The Defensive Quality Control coach evaluates the upcoming opponents. He scouts the opposing teams offense and makes a list of all the formations that they run.

OR

Resume' Fodder - Coordinates the club’s defensive scouting duties and is responsible for computer analysis, statistical and video breakdowns of opponents on a weekly basis, as well as monitoring the club’s defensive tendencies. In addition, assists in the design and diagrams for the team’s defensive playbook.

Hey Mike!

It would seem that Al Roberts has not lost any faith in America's youth and possibly enjoys a challenge in trying to motivate kids. Certainly that attitude is a must with todays over-paid NFL athletes.
    Good point Ferter!

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Guam rammer View Post
    here we go again!!! another stollen play from Martzs' playbook.
    Or maybe Mike Martz simply isn't the only head coach who hires people he is familiar with, and thus all of the criticism he got for hiring his buddy(ies) might have been slightly over the top?

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BigGameMN View Post
    I'm still miffed by this. People can make excuses all they want but it seems to me we hired a HS football coach that was probably going to get fired. The Seahawk fan who posted on this thread isn't the only one laughing. I've read posts on other boards by more than 1 who know this guy and their straight out laughing at us. I'm praying you know what your doing coach!
    How can you be miffed when you have no idea what he is capable of? People who say give him a chance aren't making excuses, they are waiting to see what the guy is all about before judging him. It seems like you are using his high school job as an excuse as to why you don't like him.
    Quote Originally Posted by RealRam
    What next, NFL gay players kissing on the mouth. To me it is S.O.S.: simply/obscene/sickening. Rest assured I will never cheer for a known homo player

BigGameMN is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce View Post
    How can you be miffed when you have no idea what he is capable of? People who say give him a chance aren't making excuses, they are waiting to see what the guy is all about before judging him. It seems like you are using his high school job as an excuse as to why you don't like him.
    Yes that's one reason. He's been out of the league for 5 years and was coaching HS football where he posted a winless season last year. That doesn't make me have any confidence in him at all. I'm praying this doesn't turn out to be a Tom Walsh situation. Based on his resume it seems to me like he was an average ST coach who started to grow out of touch with the league and hence wasn't given another chance.

All I can say is that I hope that I'm eating a massive amount of crow come this time next year.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

In a related story, Scott Linehan hired his 12 year old nephew, Timmy, as Special Assistant to Long Snapper/Ball Maintenance Coordinator.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast