Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    seahawksrule is offline Registered User

Re: Rams Hire Al Roberts to Coach ST

He is being hired to coach special teams... That's funny because special teams for Garfield were horrible last year. The kicker missed nearly every extra point, and kicked no field goals. We blew games because they got punts blocked in the end zone and they fell on them for td's. Any time you guys get pinned back by the goal line, watch out. In fact, anytime we were on their side of the 50, we would go for it because we had little to no confidence in our special teams. One would think that a coach would make changes in personal to avoid these things.

general counsel is offline Registered User

A 16 year old kid missed field goals and extra points and that means the coach is no good? Give me a break!!!! Maybe the kid was lousy and maybe the school didnt have anyone better.

Coaches are NOT miracle workers. They work with the talent around them.

To me, a high school coach helps young men learn about teamwork and hard work as they mature into young adulthood. Ferter is 100% correct in his point about the greater contributions to society and motivations of a high school coach. FAR FAR too much emphasis is put on winning and losing at the high school level.

If you want to talk to me about whether he was a success at loserville garfield, tell me whether he had a positive impact on the kids lives and tell me whether any of them learned to become stronger as people through adversity.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    A 16 year old kid missed field goals and extra points and that means the coach is no good? Give me a break!!!! Maybe the kid was lousy and maybe the school didnt have anyone better.

Coaches are NOT miracle workers. They work with the talent around them.

To me, a high school coach helps young men learn about teamwork and hard work as they mature into young adulthood. Ferter is 100% correct in his point about the greater contributions to society and motivations of a high school coach. FAR FAR too much emphasis is put on winning and losing at the high school level.

If you want to talk to me about whether he was a success at loserville garfield, tell me whether he had a positive impact on the kids lives and tell me whether any of them learned to become stronger as people through adversity.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    GC Your points are valid but what does that have to do the RAMS?

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

I have no doubt that in this Al Roberts coaching debate, if he was undefeated in his two years at Garfield, we'd be hearing that it was only High School and couldn't possibly equate or translate to success in the NFL.

ramsbruce is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BigGameMN View Post
    Yes that's one reason. He's been out of the league for 5 years and was coaching HS football where he posted a winless season last year. That doesn't make me have any confidence in him at all. I'm praying this doesn't turn out to be a Tom Walsh situation. Based on his resume it seems to me like he was an average ST coach who started to grow out of touch with the league and hence wasn't given another chance.

All I can say is that I hope that I'm eating a massive amount of crow come this time next year.
    You are missing the point. Who cares what his high school record was, there is a huge difference between coaching teenagers and coaching pros. You have no idea what his strengths and weaknesses are, but your whole argument is based on his high school resume which is irrelevant, and what he did in the league years ago which doesn't mean a whole lot either (Just look at Bobby April with us, and then the Bills). You assume he wasn't given another chance, but maybe he wasn't interested at the time because he wanted to help the kids. He could have been hired last year, but he wanted to stay and help his kids, that's admirable.

So basically all you know is that he was fired from the Bengals (most coaches do get fired from time to time) so it's not that big of a deal right now, and you know he coached kids in high school. So in reality you don't know much if anything about him, just like the rest of us, but you already think he will suck.

On top of all that let's be real, our special teams won't be magically fixed by our new coach, some of it also falls on the players, so don't let them off the hook.
    Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce
    Some of the excuses made for Jared Cook are laughable.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

From Seattle press...

Winless High School Coach Gets NFL Assistant Job
    January 31, 2007

You've got your Nick Sabans and your Steve Spurriers, the guys that bombed out in the pros and headed back to college. And then there's Al Roberts.

Roberts coached Garfield High to an 1-17 record over two seasons, including an 0-9 2006, in which his team got outscored 302-78. Still, Scott Linehan still made him the Rams' new special teams coach.

Tip for Mike Holmgren--if watching the Bulldogs this fall is a guide, just have any kid from Woodinville running back kicks against the Rams next year and you'll have a sure touchdown.

OK, we're being unfair, we're just a little bitter because Roberts is leaving our alma mater. Garfield had a terrible record last year, but they tackled well, which is a good indicator of a well-coached team. Physically, they were outmanned in the Kingco 4A.

And Roberts is a former NFL assistant, (though not a very good one, according to Bengals fans (scroll down)). He and Linehan worked together on the 1996 Washington Huskies, Roberts coached a running back named Corey Dillon that went on to do a few things.

Roberts is the only man to ever have coached the Garfield football team and also lose his house in a tornado.

Bengals point of view: (Bengals press)

ROBERTS TO RAMS: One of the nicest guys in coaching resurfaced in the NFL Monday when former Bengals special teams coach Al Roberts hooked on with the Rams in the same capacity after a four-year pro hiatus.

While Bengaldom identifies Roberts with the biggest special teams disasters in team history that included the NFL’s lowest-ranked unit in 2002, Rams head coach Scott Linehan has pursued him for two years.

“I learned more about special teams in my one year with Al Roberts than any of my years in coaching,” Linehan told The St. Louis Post-Dispatch. “His passion for the sport is second to none, at least of the time I’ve been around.”

Linehan wanted to hire Roberts last year when he took the job, but Roberts had already promised several seniors at Garfield High School that he wouldn’t leave. Roberts had returned to the inner-city Seattle school he coached a generation ago in the town where he crossed paths with Linehan when both were assistants on that 1996 University of Washington Huskies team of Corey Dillon.

Roberts, Dillon’s position coach, was a factor in the Bengals drafting of Dillon in 1997 in his first season with the club under Bruce Coslet. During Roberts’ tenure, the Bengals lost punter Lee Johnson and long snapper Greg Truitt, which led to the demise of kicker Doug Pelfrey.

The struggles culminated in his last season of ’02, when foes returned four kicks for touchdowns. But two were against rookie punter Travis Dorsch in the only game the fourth-rounder ever kicked for the Bengals. Darrin Simmons has since revived the unit, taking it from No. 32 to No. 7 in two seasons, but the Bengals didn’t spend nearly the time in practice and in meetings on special teams under Roberts that they do now with Marvin Lewis as head coach.

On Monday, Roberts called Linehan “a rain maker,” in a salute to his intelligence.

“One of the bright young children,” Roberts told The Dispatch. “Scott Linehan could have been a head coach 10 years ago.”

BigGameMN is offline Registered User

Great, Roberts is a stand up guy who stuck with some kids. That don't mean jack in the NFL. These guys are gonna play for a 0-9 High School Football Coach......Right........I will say something positive though. I guess it is time we started thinking outside the box when it comes to special teams. I just wish we would have hired a young and exciting coach instead of Al Roberts.
    Last edited by BigGameMN; -02-01-2007 at 07:46 AM.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Ligashesky was a young guy wasnt he? we didnt really do much under him

Oh man! It doesn't look good for the home teams special units!!!!:x

general counsel is offline Registered User

LaRamO, what my post has to do with the rams is the following "Dont judge the quality of the coach solely by the on the field results of his players" Give the guy a chance, just because the special teams units at garfield are no good doesnt mean he cant coach. The measure of a good coach has intangible elements that are better measurables than just on the field performance.

Bill Cowher was 4-12. the next year he won the superbowl. Did that mean that he couldnt coach when they were 4-12 and all of a sudden was a great coach when they won it all or did his players get better and healthy.

In business, when looking at a lousy company, we have an expression. "You can dress the pig up, but its still going to oink and stink"

In football, you can be the greatest coach in the world, but if you players stink, you arent going to show results.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

GC, point taken. I hope for our Rams sake this guy knows what he's doing.
    Believe me I would like nothing better than to see a turnaround with our special teams units. However bringing in a guy with his track record makes me nervous. Yeah, Yeah give the guy a chance...well we have no other option now than to give this guy a chance. Again for our sake and our Rams, I hope Linehan made the right decision.

Only time will tell.

:r

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Whether it will work out or not, who knows? But I'm having a hard time understanding how this is an example of a coach hiring the best available candidate.

SLOP is not happy.

ramsbruce is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BigGameMN View Post
    Great, Roberts is a stand up guy who stuck with some kids. That don't mean jack in the NFL. These guys are gonna play for a 0-9 High School Football Coach......Right........
    His high school record doesn't mean jack in the NFL either, but that's all you seem to bring up when judging him.
    Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce
    Some of the excuses made for Jared Cook are laughable.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

No, his HS record does not mean anything, but...

If you were writing a list of criteria for the job, how would Roberts stack up?

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Whether it will work out or not, who knows? But I'm having a hard time understanding how this is an example of a coach hiring the best available candidate.
    I agree. I'm certainly not going to write the guy off before he does anything, but I'm also not going to pretend like his résumé doesn't concern me. Maybe I'm wrong, but I honestly have a hard time believing that Roberts was the best available candidate for the position. I hope he proves me wrong and shows me he is.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast