Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Varg6 is offline Registered User

Re: Rams Hire Al Roberts to Coach ST

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I agree. I'm certainly not going to write the guy off before he does anything, but I'm also not going to pretend like his résumé doesn't concern me. Maybe I'm wrong, but I honestly have a hard time believing that Roberts was the best available candidate for the position. I hope he proves me wrong and shows me he is.
    Indeed, the only thing we can really do is sit and pray this guy works some wonders for us, because we sure as hell need it in special teams. I want to remain positive and think perhaps Linehan saw something in the guy and that is the reason he stuck out in his mind the most for the coaching position. Obviously he has concern because he fired Liggy, and although he hired a guy that did horrifically in high school football maybe that is something we should forget, and hopefully we'll forget that by him doing well with the Rams this season and showing he can do a good job coaching special teams. The whole hiring of a friend thing isn't something I would personally do, I hire who is the best, but sometimes you know someone who may just be right for the job, and maybe he feels more comfortable with him? Who knows, but I don't think Linehan's intentions of Roberts being signed was at all in a negative way for the team...

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    No, his HS record does not mean anything, but...

If you were writing a list of criteria for the job, how would Roberts stack up?
    I'm not saying that it's not a little bit of a curious hire, but the whole high school thing is being blown out of proportion. Since Linehan knows him and knows what he's capable of, his resume isn't as important in the hiring process as it would be if he was an unknown to Linehan.
    BRUUUUUUUUCE

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

Ok everyone, TAKE A CHILL PILL. People are posting quotes from the 02' season in which the Bangles were horrid on ST.

Here's the rest of the story:

Roberts has had a long and varied coaching career at the high school, college and pro level. In the NFL, he coached most recently with the Cincinnati Bengals (1997-2002). But the Bengals had a rough year on special teams in '02, giving up four returns for touchdowns on punts and kickoffs. When Marvin Lewis took over as Bengals head coach in '03, he brought in his own special teams coach (Darrin Simmons).

In his five seasons with the Bengals before '02, Roberts' unit fared much better. They scored seven special teams TDs on returns between 1997-01, and Tremain Mack made the Pro Bowl in 1999 as a kickoff returner.

Roberts also worked in the NFL for Arizona (1994-95); the New York Jets (1991-93); Philadelphia (1988-90); and the Houston Oilers (1984-85).
    Looks to me he has experience and has had some success in the NFL; lets see how things work out before we fire the guy.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RAMMAN68 View Post
    Ok everyone, TAKE A CHILL PILL. People are posting quotes from the 02' season in which the Bangles were horrid on ST.

Here's the rest of the story:

Looks to me he has experience and has had some success in the NFL; lets see how things work out before we fire the guy.
    So let's see this guy worked for the:
    Oilers 1984-85
    ????? 1986-87
    Eagles 1988-90
    Jets 1991-93
    Tards 1994-95
    ????? 1996
    Bengals 1997-02
    High School 2003-2005
    Rams 2006-???:x

Looks to me like this man has had plenty of chances to prove himself.

I rest my case.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    So let's see this guy worked for the:
    Oilers 1984-85
    ????? 1986-87
    Eagles 1988-90
    Jets 1991-93
    Tards 1994-95
    ????? 1996
    Bengals 1997-02
    High School 2003-2005
    Rams 2006-???:x

Looks to me like this man has had plenty of chances to prove himself.

I rest my case.
    Or you could make the case laram0 that he's been able to put together 16 years in the NFL. He must have done a few things right along the way. The fact that he had a 6 year tenure with the Bengals, producing some league leading special team units has got to account for something. It looks to me like when given reasonable talent to work with, he's been able to get results.

Scott Linehan thinks he can make an impact, and for now that's good enough for me. The man deserves an opportunity to succeed before he gets run out of town.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345