Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Kramerica04 is offline Registered User

Re: Rams hire Billy Devaney as new VP Personnel

This is awesome. Im eager to see what he will bring to our franchise. I like his resume. I like the move because now there is someone to hold accountable when they draft people like Claude Terrell, Jimmy Kennedy, Robert Thomas, Damione Lewis, and on and on and on and on. The former strategy of drafting by comitee didn't work out very well. I hope this fixes our biggest problem which is the inability to draft, develop, and maintain quality players.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Re: RUMOR: Rams hire Billy Devaney as new VP Personnel

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    Just read BM's bio and how he traded for John Abraham. Wow love this guy already. It looks like we are beginning to show a commitment to winning Saunders now this guy the future is looking bright.
    Couldn't have said it any better. I like how this offseason is going so far.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

He traded for Abraham anyone see him going after any disgruntled players?

NewJerseyRam is offline Registered User

Anyone else making draft picks other than Linny is a huge improvement.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by NewJerseyRam View Post
    Anyone else making draft picks other than Linny is a huge improvement.
    I wouldn't say Linehan has had a poor resume on draft day. I mean, Wroten and Alston are probably the only two day one picks you could call write offs at this stage. Carriker was a great selection, as was Tye Hill. If you can continue to put the pieces in place, as it appears he's been doing, then you give yourself a great chance to improve the franchise. Pick 2 this year gives us another great chance to piece together the puzzle.

On another note, I do question just how far his authority will stem. He'll work with Linehan, but as VP personell, he'll also be delegating with Softli and with Zygmunt. It will be nice to have two "football guys" higher up in the organisation (those being Softli and now Devaney). Hell, he may even be being groomed to replace Shaw when the time comes...I'm assuming this is a hire of Chip Rosenbloom's bat?

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Devaney's hiring affects Softli's status with Rams
    By Jim Thomas
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    Saturday, Feb. 09 2008

The offseason restructuring at Rams Park took another turn Saturday with the
    hiring of Billy Devaney as the Rams' executive vice president of player
    personnel.

Devaney comes to the Rams from the Atlanta Falcons, where he has worked as the
    Falcons' assistant general manager in 2006 and '07. Previously, Devaney worked
    as an analyst for CBS Sports televison pre-game show from 2004-05. He was pro
    personnel assistant in San Francisco from 2001-03, and was director of player
    personnel for the San Diego Chargers for 11 seasons from 1990-2000. Devaney's
    first full-time NFL job was as a scout for the Washington Redskins from 1983-90.

Devaney will be in charge of all aspects of the Rams' personnel department.
    Tony Softli, who was hired as vice president of player personnel just two
    seasons ago, will work under Devaney through the 2008 NFL draft. But it remains
    to be seen if Softli will have a job after the draft.

"I really like the people (Devaney's) worked for," Rams president of football
    operations-general manager Jay Zygmunt told the Post-Dispatch Saturday.

Among them are Joe Gibbs and Bobby Beathard while in Washington, and Rich McKay
    with Atlanta.

"He's been around a lot of winning programs," Zygmunt said. "From a football
    oeprations standpoint, he's been in about every area. And he's very detail
    oriented."

While dealing with the death of owner Georgia Frontiere, and reshaping Scott
    Linehan's coaching staff, the Rams have been working on a new head of the
    personnel department for some time. Among the names that have come up as
    potential candidates were Floyd Reese, the former Tennessee Titans general
    manager; Tom Donahoe, former personnel head with both Buffalo and Pittsburgh;
    and Buddy Nix, current assistant general manager with the San Diego Chargers.

As recently as just a few days ago, team sources told the Post-Dispatch that
    they weren't necessarily close on the hiring of a new personnel head. But
    things accelerated with respect to Devaney on Friday to the point where the
    hiring became official on Saturday.

With Devaney now in place, the assumption is that Linehan will have less than
    final say over personnel matters. But Zygmunt stopped short of saying that
    Saturday. Zygmunt indicated that personnel decisions will still be made by
    consensus, with Devaney working closely with Linehan and Softli.

The Rams also announced Saturday that Ron Milus has been promoted to secondary
    coach after being assistant secondary coach the past two seasons. Milus had
    worked under Willy Robinson, but Robinson was fired last month. The team is
    expected to name an assistant secondary coach to work with Milus, and had at
    least one candidate in last week for an interview.

The Rams also are still looking for an assistant strength and conditioning
    coach. They are hiring Terry Shea as quarterbacks coach, replacing Doug
    Nussmeier, but are still working through final details of that hiring.

RealRam is offline Registered User

This Devaney hire may be one to really galvanize the organization into a winning mode. Hopefully Tony Softili will continue to be a 'team player' (assuming he stays), but either way, it seems bringing in Mr. Billy will boost results in the right direction.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    I wouldn't say Linehan has had a poor resume on draft day.
    I agree. The two drafts under his watch have been pretty solid. Regardless of whatever changes are in the works, Linehan will continue to have a say.

Zygmunt indicated that personnel decisions will still be made by
    consensus, with Devaney working closely with Linehan and Softli.

Bald_81 is offline Registered User

Especially when Linehan found quality players like Setterstrom and Ryan later on in the draft, he should continue to have a say and veto over who we take.

laram0 is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Bald_81 View Post
    Especially when Linehan found quality players like Setterstrom and Ryan later on in the draft, he should continue to have a say and veto over who we take.
    What did Bill Parcells say? If you want me to cook the dinner than let me buy the groceries?

All I'm saying is that Linehan should be part of the grocery buying process.

I just dont see the "great" in the picks of Carriker and Hill, they have been OK but Hill is small and has not proven he can stay on the field and Carriker now out for 6 months, who knows how or where he may play next. The Rams needs impact players and neither was one, maybe they will be but its hard to see. There are alot of early misses in the Linny drafts;Klops,Wroten,Alston,Bryd,Hagans,Leonard,Wade,Fry. He continued to draft guys who played one position and tried to make them play another. First day picks have to make an impact especially on a bad team and I did not see any of the above do that as of yet

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    What did Bill Parcells say? If you want me to cook the dinner than let me buy the groceries?

All I'm saying is that Linehan should be part of the grocery buying process.

In the most important draft of the last 10 years the Rams need a real FO type to make the picks and look long term. You cannot let a lame duck coach shape the future of the franchise, Linny is now just a CEO type and has had his supposed greatest strength when hired taken away and that is controlling and playcalling for the offense.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

There are alot of early misses in the Linny drafts;Klops,Wroten,Alston,Bryd,Hagans,Leonard,Wade,Fry. He continued to draft guys who played one position and tried to make them play another. First day picks have to make an impact especially on a bad team and I did not see any of the above do that as of yet
    The only two players I know of that we've drafted in the last two years to play a different position than they did in college were Carricker (DE to DT) and Hagans (QB to WR), but I believe Hagans actually did play receiver earlier in his college career anyway before he went to being a full-time quarterback for his team.

I think Carricker is an impact player. I think we looked stronger in the middle on run defense compared to the year before, and we got more of a pass rush from the interior line than the defensive ends. I seem to recall some comments from our linebackers during the season about how they had noticed a difference in how often they were getting blocked because of the play in the middle of the line this year.

Conventional wisdom says it's hard to evaluate draft classes until about the third year afterwards, but it is starting to seem that we haven't done so well in the second and third rounds. The Byrd move never did make a whole lot of sense, and Klopfenstein has been disappointing. Wroten appears to be a failed gamble; not only has he had off-the-field issues, but I have yet to see him play like the talent people said he was when he came out. Wade was kind of a raw recruit when he got him, so I think we're going to have to give him some time to learn the position better before we can write him off. I still have hope for him yet.

Ramer is offline Registered User

I'm very excited. I think we are headed in the right direction.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

I just dont see the "great" in the picks of Carriker and Hill, they have been OK but Hill is small and has not proven he can stay on the field and Carriker now out for 6 months, who knows how or where he may play next. The Rams needs impact players and neither was one, maybe they will be but its hard to see. There are alot of early misses in the Linny drafts;Klops,Wroten,Alston,Bryd,Hagans,Leonard,Wade,Fry. He continued to draft guys who played one position and tried to make them play another. First day picks have to make an impact especially on a bad team and I did not see any of the above do that as of yet
    You can't be serious Wade, Fry, Leonard all rookie you can't just evaluate them and pin them as miss haps after one year. Carriker hasn't made an impact are you serious we went from 32nd to 20th against then run. Hagans, Fry and Alston all weren't first day picks, so i don't know what you are talking about

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. -02-09-2008, 07:19 PM