Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    NewJerseyRam is offline Registered User

Re: Rams hire Billy Devaney as new VP Personnel

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    You can't be serious Wade, Fry, Leonard all rookie you can't just evaluate them and pin them as miss haps after one year. Carriker hasn't made an impact are you serious we went from 32nd to 20th against then run. Hagans, Fry and Alston all weren't first day picks, so i don't know what you are talking about
    I should not have bunched in Fry and Hagans as they were 5th rounders but Alston was a 3rd rounder. If Fry could not get on the field with all the OL injuries when will he? Plenty of rookies stepped in all across the NFL that were later round picks. Wade could not tackle anyone, the Rams do not need players who have tp learn how to tackle on the NFL level. They were still 2nd to last in points allowed, that is the stat that I look for improvement. Teams found it much easier to pass against which makes the "improvement" from 30 to 20 a little less impressive. You need impact players on the 1st day, I like BL but a 3rd string RB and very small FB can not be taken in the 2nd round for an aging team. As far as Carriker, I just dont see that much, he was blown up quite a bit and now that he is out for 6 months, maybe his body is not right for DT as it has already broken down. The 1st 3 picks this year have to be guys who can play right away, no more projects, they need productive players from large schools

Baldybouncer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NewJerseyRam View Post
    Teams found it much easier to pass against which makes the "improvement" from 30 to 20 a little less impressive.
    Yeah but that's surely only because we had 2 dud DE's?

NewJerseyRam is offline Registered User

You maybe right as the pass rush was awful even when Little was healthy. Spoon was pretty good at time but he is too samll to do that on all passing downs. I am just worried about carriker holding up because you need to at the DT as he gets beat on all game. If they draft Dorsey and move him to RE it may work out

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

In any event, he seems like a good hire, and almost anything to help the team get better talent is a good move in my book.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NewJerseyRam View Post
    I should not have bunched in Fry and Hagans as they were 5th rounders but Alston was a 3rd rounder. If Fry could not get on the field with all the OL injuries when will he? Plenty of rookies stepped in all across the NFL that were later round picks. Wade could not tackle anyone, the Rams do not need players who have tp learn how to tackle on the NFL level. They were still 2nd to last in points allowed, that is the stat that I look for improvement. Teams found it much easier to pass against which makes the "improvement" from 30 to 20 a little less impressive. You need impact players on the 1st day, I like BL but a 3rd string RB and very small FB can not be taken in the 2nd round for an aging team. As far as Carriker, I just dont see that much, he was blown up quite a bit and now that he is out for 6 months, maybe his body is not right for DT as it has already broken down. The 1st 3 picks this year have to be guys who can play right away, no more projects, they need productive players from large schools
    Nebraska, Rutgers, Tennesse are all big schools my friend. You don't have to come froma big school to be good that is just dumb. Look at Osi Umenyura and Demarcus Ware they both came from Troy. Jared Allen came from Idaho State. Ben Rothleberger didn't come from a big school. Randy Moss Chad Penington came from Marshall. How can you say his body is broken down after one year, that is unheard of. Carriker stood his ground and made an impact he wasn't blown up as much as you think he was. Leonard was starting with SJ out and last time i checked when your number one RB is out your number 3 guy doesn't go in. He also started at FB at most of the end of the season. You can't gauge how productive or how big an of an impact a guy will make after just one year

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

Sounds like a good hire to me. Hopefully this transforms into a solid draft and free agency.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Bald_81 View Post
    Especially when Linehan found quality players like Setterstrom and Ryan later on in the draft, he should continue to have a say and veto over who we take.
    Whilst I agree in premise, I don't think any FO will go as far as to give their coach powers of veto. I think to have valuable input will better benefit the team; you don't risk that 'dictator' mentality. Three heads, (Devaney, Softli, Linehan) are almost certainly better than one authoritative head.

RamWraith is offline Registered User

Devaney Energizes Rams
    Monday, February 11, 2008

By Nick Wagoner

Senior Writer
    In early December, Rams President John Shaw spoke openly about the Rams’ need to improve the way they evaluate and acquire talent. Specifically, Shaw lamented the team’s inability to consistently put together solid draft classes and emphasized the need to build an organization by way of the draft while supplementing through free agency.

In the span of one whirlwind week, the Rams believe they made a hire that will help them accomplish that goal. President/General Manager Jay Zygmunt formally introduced Billy Devaney (pronounced Duh-Van-ee) as the team’s new Executive Vice President of Player Personnel.

Immediately on his hiring, Devaney takes over control of all personnel issues with the team including free agency and the all important NFL Draft.

“He’s been an excellent evaluator throughout his NFL career, and he will work with coach (Scott) Linehan on making final decisions on all personnel matters,” Zygmunt said. “The timing of Billy’s hire was critical to us. We are at the start of the free agency period, draft preparations are well underway and the scouting combine is set to begin February 20 in Indianapolis. This is a very significant hire for the Rams.”

Indeed, Devaney’s hire couldn’t have come soon enough considering the importance of this offseason. Free agency will begin at the beginning of March and the draft is set for April. Coming off a 3-13 season, it is Devaney’s mission to evaluate the current talent on the roster and figure out where the team’s greatest needs are.
    Armed with the second pick in the draft, the Rams and Devaney have no choice but to hit a home run with their early selections.

Devaney comes to the Rams with one of the most rock solid reputations in the league. Those that have worked with him like him and those that haven’t respect him. Instantly, Devaney gives credibility to a personnel department that has been searching for just that for some time.

Playing at minimum a helping hand in three Super Bowl appearances and with more than 20 years of NFL experience evaluating talent, Devaney has the resume to provide that standing.

“His expertise and his background and the credibility he has being able to make those critical assessments,” Linehan said. “He’s someone you can go to and lean on.”

Devaney’s arrival in St. Louis came together fairly quickly and somewhat surprisingly. During the season, Shaw indicated that an addition to the personnel department wasn’t likely in the offing. Although he didn’t completely rule it out, it didn’t appear to be a top priority.

“We will utilize our cap dollars the best way we can utilize them and evaluate all areas and work hard toward improving the product,” Shaw said at the time. “I don’t think it entails turning everything upside down. I think the record of the people and executives in this organization has proven we have had success in the past.”

But while the possible addition of a personnel guy was never ruled out, there wasn’t much urgency to add one, either, at least not until it was clear what type of candidates could be available to fill the position.

Much like the offensive coordinator position, Linehan and the Rams opted to be patient and wait for the right candidate to reveal himself in time. Clearly, that plan worked when they landed Al Saunders as offensive coordinator.
    Patience paid off again as the Rams waited for the right personnel leader to appear. After the Falcons hired Tom Dimitroff away from New England to be the general manager, it became clear that Devaney would be available for a step up the ladder in terms of involvement and power.

Zygmunt and Devaney have a long standing relationship and though Linehan didn’t know Devaney personally, he was well aware of his reputation. Coming from the tutelage of the likes of Bobby Beathard in San Diego and Washington, Devaney learned the ropes of talent evaluation.

Finding the right person is always a difficult task, but when someone of Devaney’s ilk hit the market, it became easier.

“The person is somewhat of an imaginary person at the beginning,” Linehan said. “Then you have to do your work and talk to people about looking for something like this. I had a little background with people he had worked with. I had never met him before. Then after meeting him and listening to the things he could do for us and add for us, it was exciting.”
    From his side, Devaney was more than interested in the chance to move up and into the organization. Devaney has long been well respected in league circles but hasn’t had many opportunities to be the leader of his own department.

As he comes to St. Louis, he comes with plenty of long standing relationships with the likes of Zygmunt, Shaw and Director of Player Personnel Lawrence McCutcheon, among others.

After Atlanta hired Dimitroff, Devaney got a call from his agent David Dunn, informing him that an opportunity might be available with the Rams. He wasted no time declaring his interest.

“I said absolutely, without knowing exactly what the responsibilities were going to be,” Devaney said. “It was a process where I think I came in four or five days ago and met with Jay, met with Scott, and when I realized what it was going to be, who I was going to be working with and the people that were going to be here, that really got me excited.”

After a series of meetings in the middle of last week, things came together quickly. By the time Saturday rolled around, Devaney had been hired.

In addition to his many years of experience in the league, Devaney comes to the Rams with his own philosophies and ideas on evaluating personnel. While he was trained under the free wheeling Beathard, Devaney doesn’t necessarily have many of the riverboat gambler traits that Beathard was known for.

Devaney even joked with Zygmunt on Monday morning about trading away the second pick in the NFL Draft, a practice Beathard made a habit of in his years in the league.

“I worked under Bobby for a long time, and I think I got Jay nervous this morning, because the first thing I said was ‘have we traded that first-round draft pick yet? What the heck, what’s taking you so long? You mean we still have that?’” Devaney said, laughing.

Devaney’s approach to appraising players is about as old school as it gets. Instead of delegating all the power and listening to all opinions, he combines a team environment with his zeal for being a “grinder.”

“I like going out to see the top prospects,” Devaney said. “I am a grinder. That’s how I came into the league. That’s what I love doing. That’s my passion.”

It’s a passion that should help re energize the front office and continue to help the Rams’ building toward the future.

Devaney’s first order of business in the next week will be to get up to speed on the current Rams depth chart so as to have a handle on the team’s needs heading into free agency. Soon after, he will lead the personnel charge into Indianapolis for next week’s NFL Scouting Combine.

There’s little doubt that the next few weeks will go a long way in determining the short and long term future of the franchise, but there’s even less doubt that with people like Saunders and now Devaney on board, that future appears brighter by the day.

“Things don’t happen overnight,” Linehan said. “We let the process take care of it. The fact that we were able to get Al done two weeks ago then have someone the caliber of Billy being available this week really gives us some momentum heading into a critical time for our football team. I am excited as I have been since I got the head job here.”

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith View Post
    Armed with the second pick in the draft, the Rams and Devaney have no choice but to hit a home run with their early selections.
    So like no pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith View Post
    Devaney comes to the Rams with one of the most rock solid reputations in the league. Those that have worked with him like him and those that haven’t respect him. Instantly, Devaney gives credibility to a personnel department that has been searching for just that for some time.
    That's great to hear. I hope it's true.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

I like how we are starting to reconstruct the FA. Ziggy handling contracts, Devanny personal, and Linny um well he has a fetish for TEs

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

LinkBacks (?)

1. -02-09-2008, 07:19 PM