Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Rams Hire OLine Coach

IMO Linehan must know that 2008 is do or die for him. If he puts together the wrong supporting cast than that's on him.

81~BIG-GAME is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    IMO Linehan must know that 2008 is do or die for him. If he puts together the wrong supporting cast than that's on him.
    If he doesnt realize it, he must be even dumber than I gave him credit for..

moloch41 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    I remained amazed at how much some people overeact to who the coaches are. If we dont get healthy on the oline, its not going to mean anything who the coaches are.
    See, I thought the offensive line coach was the most crucial piece to the success and failure of a team- I mean if he wasn't- why was he the only one fired for a 3-13 season?

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

If we see it, you can be sure the coaches out there see it. So why would a top shelf coach commit to an uncertain situation for the HC and even the FO given the situation with Georgia's health. He would have to move his family and himself for possibly 1 year. Woulld you do it?

Go Rams!

Rambos is online now Registered User

I remained amazed at how much some people overeact to who the coaches are.
    He is an O line coach.. nuff said agree GC.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Disco Man View Post
    However, the most alarming number comes in the "sacks allowed" category, where his group has consistently finished at the bottom of the league. This does not bode well for Marc Bulger.
    Those stats are a bit ominous. If it's one thing we need, it's for Bulger to be taking less hits, a lot less.

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    Linehan has ZERO incentive to hire people that arent qualified just because they are his friends. This isnt a government job he has. Linehan is going to be fired if the team doesnt perform and if the coaches dont help the team perform, linehan will pay that price. He has zero long term job security.
    This is the way I see it. Linehan's head is on the chopping block and it's in HIS best interest to get guys he thinks will help him turn things around. His career as a head coach in on the line and if he fails in St. Louis, he'll probably be relegated to a series of quarterback coaching gigs, so he knows these hires are critical to his future.

Quote Originally Posted by mde8352gorams View Post
    If we see it, you can be sure the coaches out there see it. So why would a top shelf coach commit to an uncertain situation for the HC and even the FO given the situation with Georgia's health. He would have to move his family and himself for possibly 1 year. Woulld you do it?
    This is no doubt a factor in who Linehan can or can not get. I think it's a long shot that any top tier offensive position coach is going to come to St. Louis with all the questions and uncertainty. I guess we'll see, but I'm not expecting Cameron or Saunders.

BigGameMN is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by moloch41 View Post
    See, I thought the offensive line coach was the most crucial piece to the success and failure of a team- I mean if he wasn't- why was he the only one fired for a 3-13 season?
    Excellent point, rep for that.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I'm okay with this hire. As GC mentioned, it is important for the coaches to have a good working relationship, and having worked together before and still wanting to work together is a good thing. I don't consider it a problem for the coach to bring people he has worked with before unless he's planning on putting them in a position they either don't deserve or aren't qualified for.

cfh128 is offline Registered User

I disagree with your point. I don't remember anybody saying he was the entire reason our team suffered, or even just the offensive line. As was pointed out earlier, it could be that his coaching style or philosophy didn't mesh well with Linehan's. It could also be that :GASP: maybe he wasn't doing a good job coaching period. But I don't think anybody blamed Boudreau for the entire collapse of our offense.

RAMarkable is online now Registered User

Um... I believe our erstwhile "offensive" coordinator-Greg Olson- was also fired, if I'm not mistaken.

WHAT SAY YE?

BigGameMN is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    Um... I believe our erstwhile "offensive" coordinator-Greg Olson- was also fired, if I'm not mistaken.

WHAT SAY YE?
    I would hardly count that as he was OC in name only. Plus he's been told he can stay with the team.

RealRam is online now Registered User

For a further look into SL II's career:

STEVE LONEY COACHING BREAKDOWN

Year - School / NFL Team - Position
    1974 Iowa State Graduate Assistant
    1975-76 Missouri Western OC / OL
    1977-78 Leavenworth (Kan.) High School HC
    1979-80 Morehead State OC / OL
    1981-83 Morehead State Head Coach
    1984-86 Citadel Asst. HC / OL
    1989-92 Colorado State Asst. HC / OL
    1993 Arizona Cardinals Asst. OL
    1994 Connecticut Asst. HC / WRs
    1995-97 Iowa State OC /OL
    1998-99 Minnesota OC / OL
    2000-01 Iowa State OC / OL
    2002-04 Minnesota Vikings OL
    2005 Minnesota Vikings OC / OL
    2006 Arizona Cardinals OL

Source and picture: Steve Loney Coach's Bio - GoDrakeBulldogs.com—Official Web site of Drake University Athletics

RAMarkable is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BigGameMN View Post
    I would hardly count that as he was OC in name only. Plus he's been told he can stay with the team.
    Thanks for the clarification. So what's his new position, official doughnut procurer? Hopefully he's been brushing up on his new lines of "more coffee? more coffee?"

WHAT SAY YE?

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

Now why is it the NFL is this closed group of "WHO YOU KNOW" league? You got a league where HC bounce from one team to the next, assist. coaches bouncing around, as well as players, and most get hired because they KNEW someone elsewhere.

To my mind, there are two types of players/coaches, winners and lossers. Many lossers are one time wonders. But winners are consistant--consistant at WINNING. OK so how many consistent winners do the Rams now have on staff? I fear the Rams will become the last refuge for losers.

Its well and good that Linehan picks those whom he can "get along with". Yet there are two greater veriables then the likability factor. Consider that HC means its "MY WAY OR THE HIGHWAY", so getting along singing Kum-bi-yah is rather Mute. Its what value do you add to the team that matters.
    >>>>>More importantly, can you teach the blocking schemes nesseccary to run the plays to be successeful, and can you find the talent, develop that talent and motivate that talent to execute those schemes. Those factors right there are more important, then can you get along, let alone if you like a person. Hense in the real world, do you hire friends or the most qualified for possitions.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

LinkBacks (?)

1. -01-18-2008, 12:12 PM
  2. -01-18-2008, 12:34 AM