Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RamWraith is offline Registered User

Rams hire Olson as offensive coordinator

BY STEVE KORTE
    News-Democrat

ST. LOUIS - Greg Olson, the quarterbacks coach for the Detroit Lions for the past two years, has been hired to be the St. Louis Rams' offensive coordinator.

Olson and new Rams coach Scott Linehan, who will call the Rams' offensive plays, come from the same coaching tree.

Olson, 42, served with John L. Smith and Dennis Erickson at Washington State from 1987-89, while Linehan played under Erickson at the University of Idaho and was hired by Smith three times in his career, 1989 and 1992 at the University of Idaho and 1998 at the Unversity of Louisville.

During his career, Olson has tutored such notable quarterbacks as Jeff Garcia (San Francisco), Drew Brees (University of Purdue), Jon Kitna (Central Washington) and Rex Grossman (Chicago Bears).

Olson played quarterback at Central Washington from 1983-84. His wife, Lissa, was the head track and field coach for both the men's and women's programs at Purdue University from 2001-04.

It appears that the Rams' focus in their search for the defensive coordinator has switched from former Green Packers defensive coordinator Jim Bates to former New Orleans Saints coach Jim Haslett.

Haslett, 50, was fired earlier this month after six seasons as the Saints' coach. He had 45-51 record with the Saints, who were 3-13 during a 2005 season that was overshadowed by the devastation wrecked on their home city by Hurricane Katrina.

Haslett led the Saints to their first-ever playoff victory -- a 31-28 win over the Rams on Dec. 30, 2000, in an NFC Wildcard game played at the Superdome.

Prior to becoming the Saints' head coach, Haslett served a three-year stint as the defensive coordinator for the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Bates had been considered the Rams' top choice for defensive coordinator, but he reportedly turned down a contract offer from the Rams for more than $1 million a year.

The Rams have a sticky situation with Bates because it'd be impossible to justify paying him more or almost as much as Linehan, who is believed to be making slightly under $2 million per year.

The once-deep pool of defensive coordinator candidates has gotten a little shallower in recent days.

Dick Jauron, who was hired as the head coach of the Buffalo Bills, and Dom Capers, who was hired as the defensive coordinator for the Miami Dolphins, were both scrated off the list of potential Rams hires.

Other available defensive coordinators include former Minnesota defensive coordinator Ted Cottrell, former Buffalo defensive coordinator Jerry Gray and former New York Jets defensive coordinator Donnie Henderson.

Linehan is currently in Miami cleaning out his old office as offensive coordinator with the Dolphins.

The Rams will retain the services of wide recievers coach Henry Ellard and strength and conditioning coach Dana DeLuc.

Ellard, 44, has spent 16 years with the Rams, but that includes 11 years as a player. He's coached the Rams' wide receivers for the past five seasons.

LeDuc, 52, has been with the Rams seven years. He was with the Seahawks for four seasons prior to joining the Rams in 1999.

NY RAMFAN is offline Registered User

Re: Rams hire Olson as offensive coordinator

MMMMMMMmmm, I just can't understand this . . . in the last couple of years the lions drafted WR and they couldn't develop Harrinton. Besides all those names doen't say anything, Garcia??? (1 or 2 playoffs), Brees had a breaktrhu season in 04 but in 03 was the worst qb, Jon Kitna is an ok qb, nothing else, and Rex Grossman regretfully he played only 5 games to know him better.
    There is not on his list a Hasselbeck, a Manning, a Roetlisberger a Delhomme, a Plummer or a Bulger

OldRamsfan is offline Registered User

This should be Interesting lets see what happens ... I

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith
    His wife, Lissa, was the head track and field coach for both the men's and women's programs at Purdue University from 2001-04.
    I think whenever you get a pro football job and the newspapers have to write about your wife's accomplishments, then your resumé is looking a bit thin.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Welker83 is offline Registered User

Hmmmmm.. i hevent heard much from him. But personally i dont blame him for the Harrington mess... Tedford QB's just plain suck with out tedford holding them up. Akili smith, Joey Harrington, AJ Feeley, Kyle Boller, Aaron Rodgers... I dont see any HOFers there...

Doesnt really matter anyway, he's just hiring a guy to do Run his gameplan....
    And it looked like such a good day...

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

This is just great. I'm not happy about this at all. Wow now lets see who are DC is
    RamsFan16

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Who cares?

Linehan is, for all practical purposes, the true offensive coordinator. Olson is just a guy who will help him out with the details.

Also, I hardly think you can blame Harrington's failings on a coach. He's just not a very good QB.

coy bacon is offline Registered User

I agree with NY Ramfan. Again this is a selection of a non-proven man to be a vital coach. Bleh. I spew it out of my mouth!

And, picking a guy associated with Detroit's disasterous effort only belies my position on both Linehan and Olsen.

Two dark harbingers appear on the scene,
    "the future is meager",
    "the future is lean".
    Blow after blow will fall on their head,
    their hearts are willing,
    but they're poorly led.

Ram's fans! Welcome to Detroit!

(No, I'm not talkin bout the SB).

tanus is offline Registered User

Olson and new Rams coach Scott Linehan, who will call the Rams' offensive plays, come from the same coaching tree.

AJD45 is offline Registered User

Just because the article says so doesn't make it true that they come from the same coaching tree. The similarities given are a stretch at best dating back to the '80s, while their more recent -- and I would argue more important -- NFL experience is in systems that differ diametrically.

Still, that might not matter if he was some wunderkind up-and-comer, but have you ever heard of him before? I certainly hadn't. As everyone is pointing out, he has no real success whatsoever on his resume, and no matter how you want to excuse it he was a part of the Detroit debacle. I'm still befuddled by this choice, as everything about him screams "loser". I fear it will come out that they've been "friends for a long time" or something -- in other words, this could be the dreaded Marmie Move(TM) on Linehan's part...

Milan is offline Registered User

Not too happy about this but I won't dismiss it until I see how this happens.

Here in Toronto, the Raptors drafted a player (Charlie Villenueva) and everyone said it was the worst choice that they had made since giving up Vince Carter. Turned out it was a great choice to draft him.

I hope this is the same result.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    Also, I hardly think you can blame Harrington's failings on a coach. He's just not a very good QB.
    What happened to taking a look at Harrington if Fitz isn't the answer? :tongue:
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

RealRam is offline Registered User

By coincidence only (of course), our new OC looks like actor Steve Carell...

bigredman is offline Registered User

I can't tell you how much this hire pisses me off. He hired an acquaintance he met in camps while their paths crossed? Remind you of Martz's hire of Marmie? OK, so the HC wants to call the plays...many do...but I was hoping that the Rams would persue the OC of the Steelers. What the hell was the rush?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

This hiring makes little difference to our offensive scheme or how it's going to run. He'll be an extra pair of eyes and he'll help with game management.

Am I right in thinking he hasn't got reponsibility for the QB's?

Nothing to get excited about.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast