Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    bigredman is offline Registered User

Re: Rams hire Olson as offensive coordinator

According to the press releases, he will be working closely with the QB's, although the Rams still plan on hiring a QB coach. I just don't understand the reasoning here. Olson is mainly hired to be an evaluator on offense, run the offense during practices, and direct the QB's? Not one mention of his "ability" to scheme offenses to defenses, innovations to offenses. I mean, they list his accomplishments as being the QB coach to Kitna, Garcia, and Harrington?! How have their careers panned out (Kitna=average; Garcia=had a great cast in SF, a bust everywhere else; Harrington=average)? If we want a puppet at OC, then hire Howdy Doody! (Then again, maybe we did).

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

AJD45 is offline Registered User

Agree with everything in your post except that Garcia had a "great cast" in SF. To me Garcia's success was because he was the perfect fit to the SF wuss coast offense -- small, mobile, accurate but no arm strength. So to the extent Olson helped Garcia successfully adapt to the SF wco is irrelevant to the Rams, since the Rams run a totally different scheme and need a QB with the strength and read ability to hit the deep routes. Maybe Linehan wants someone with a wco background to consult with when going up against wco teams or something, but I'm just reaching here since I'm still confused about this hire.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Again, what difference does it make?

Bulger doesn't need to be developed, just protected.

Ah, but Bulger does need development. I truly believe the last year under Martz regressed him. He needs someone to come in and instruct him to make the "smart" reads. Although, to be fair, alot of Bulger's problems were that the pass patterns were becoming perdictable under Martz, who refused to change due to his massive ego. It's hard to find the open receiver when defenders are jumping the routes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

I don't think Bulger needs development as much as he needs a good pass receiving tight end, a settled offensive line with players playing in their accustomed positions, and a strong, consistent running game.

All of which will help with his protections.

If Linehan thinks Olson can help with that great, but I don't think Olson's been brought in to reinvent the wheel.If Linehan's going to call the plays, then it doesn't make sense to have a high profile OC.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

We'll have to see on this one. If we were going to get a guy who was going to play a relatively minor role, I'd rather see someone who has at least clearly improved some aspect of his teams' offenses. Maybe get a guy who was good at developing linemen. I don't want to make a snap judgement here, but by appearances I'm not seeing him adding a lot to the strength of the team.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Welcome to ClanRam, Golden!

ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

I like Merlin Olson as much as the next Rams fan but I don't think he's cut out to run an offense...

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by bigredman
    Ah, but Bulger does need development. I truly believe the last year under Martz regressed him. He needs someone to come in and instruct him to make the "smart" reads. Although, to be fair, alot of Bulger's problems were that the pass patterns were becoming perdictable under Martz, who refused to change due to his massive ego. It's hard to find the open receiver when defenders are jumping the routes.
    When Bulger was injured, he had the highest passer rating in the NFC, despite the fact that he was playing behind an unsettled O line, without Bruce, and with no commitment to the running game to keep the pressure off him.

Why is it that facts are disregarded in favor of grudges?

NitRam 21 is offline Registered User

AV : game/ set/ match, well said
    ps. I am very nervous about the
    moves so far

"I'm scared Joesy"
    LET HER BUCK LITTLE BROTHER

RAM-BO is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    I think whenever you get a pro football job and the newspapers have to write about your wife's accomplishments, then your resumé is looking a bit thin.
    LOL LOL LOL

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    When Bulger was injured, he had the highest passer rating in the NFC, despite the fact that he was playing behind an unsettled O line, without Bruce, and with no commitment to the running game to keep the pressure off him.

Why is it that facts are disregarded in favor of grudges?
    No grudge here Avenger...I believe Bulger is a helluva QB. I agree the O line suffered from bringing in retired guys well beyond their prime. No knock on Bulger...on Martz?....Yes. I would like to see a QB coach for Bulger all the same. The new HC plans on hiring one, which I agree with.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12