Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Rams Historians: Build the All-Time "Pure Ram" Team

demiurge is offline Registered User

Re: Rams Historians: Build the All-Time "Pure Ram" Team

Yeah, Larry Brooks at DT belongs in over D'Marco Farr. Might have been different if Farr's knee held up...

Meador and Cromwell would be one heck of a S pair, and really underrated.

CB doesn't seem like there's any great players. If only we hadn't traded Night Trane Lane, think of the impact he would have had in the 50s...

And lots of the really good ones did play for other teams at the ends of their careers, like Jerry Grey or Irvin.

Pat Thomas is a good find, I second that one. 2 time pro bowler so definitely a quality CB.

Clancy Williams? He was a solid corner for the Rams in the late 60s when they started getting good again. Of course, playing DB behind the Fearsome Foursome no doubt helped his stats, heh, but he picked off quite a few in his day.

Maybe Dave Elemendorf? No, he played safety.

Yeah, that 2nd CB position is tough.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

What about Special Teams players? I would nominate for K Mike Lansford (wonder if they would allow his barefoot kicking today). If he's not a pure Ram then Frank Corral. Punter is a bit tougher as the one punter whom I think qualifies as a pure Ram might be Pat Studstill, although there may be others who were/are better. If current players qualify then Johnny Hekker for sure. KR's and PR's? How about Tavon Austin as a PR?

Go Rams!

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Deacon was a Charger and a Redskin
    I don't think Deacon was ever a Redskin. You might be thinking of Diron Talbert whom George Allen plucked from us after he went to the Redskins.

Go Rams!

RealRam is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MDE8352gorams View Post
    I don't think Deacon was ever a Redskin. You might be thinking of Diron Talbert whom George Allen plucked from us after he went to the Redskins.

Go Rams!
    Deacon did play his last year in the NFL with the Redskins, 1974: 11 seasons with the Rams (1961-71), 2 with the S.D. Chargers (1972-73), and his 13th and final season in D.C.

Glad to see HOF Les Richter is in! Great LB indeed. All-Time Rams (1954-62).

Good, fun thread BTW!

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

At kicker, the choices would be Frank Corral (though he finished his career in the USFL) or Mike Lansford.

The punter? Um... well, Bob Waterfield punted for his first 4 years and had a 42+ yard average.

Kick returner: Tony Horne (he was signed by KC in 2000, but never played for them after blowing out his knee in preseason).

Punt returner? Hmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Here's a challenge...

Let's build a roster of the All-Time best "Pure Rams" - players who played for the Rams and no other team.

I'll start with one on offense and defense... help round out the starting lineup (I'll ask that you nominate no more than 2 players at a time, so we can get participation from multiple posters).

QB: Bob Waterfield
    RB: Dick Bass
    FB: Les Josephson
    WR: Jack Snow
    WR: Tom Fears
    WR: Elroy Hirsch
    TE: Terry Nelson
    OT: Charlie Cowan
    OT: Jackie Slater
    OG: Tom Mack
    OG: Dennis Harrah or Joe Scibelli
    C: Rich Saul

DE: Jack Youngblood
    DT: Merlin Olsen
    DT: D'Marco Farr or Larry Brooks
    DE: Lamar Lundy
    OLB: Carl Ekern
    OLB: Mel Owens
    MLB: Les Richter
    CB: Pat Thomas
    CB: Clancy Williams
    S: Eddie Meador
    S: Nolan Cromwell
    Wow, now that's a Super Bowl caliber team!

* Pat Thomas, CB his entire career w/ the Rams, 1976-82. All-Pro quality.
    * IMO, I'd see Lamar Lundy by himself as the other DE besides Jack Youngblood.
    * Also, I agree on Mel Owens as one of our LBs, a fine All-Rams ILB / MLB from 1981-89.

- -
    bradwill likes this.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Too bad Ron Brown played that one year with the Faiders before coming back to the Rams. He was amazing to watch on kick returns.

As far as a kicker, it's close. Corral was a Pro Bowler, but not very consistent. Lansford had a lot more consistency, for a longer time. I'd have to go for Lansford.
    mde8352gorams likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by R8rh8rmike View Post
    As far as a kicker, it's close. Corral was a Pro Bowler, but not very consistent. Lansford had a lot more consistency, for a longer time. I'd have to go for Lansford.

Toatally agree. Mike Lansford, career Rams PK (1982-90). -

Lansford was known more for accuracy and being a clutch kicker than he was for a strong leg. He was only 4 of 17 in his career on field goal attempts of 50 yards or more, but was successful on nearly 75% of his attempts inside 45 yards. In addition, he never missed a last minute game tying or winning field goal. His 42-yard field goal in New Orleans on the final play of the 1983 season's final game gave the Rams a 26-24 win over the Saints and sent the Rams to the playoffs over the Saints. In 1989, he kicked a last second field goal in San Francisco to beat the ***** 13-12, and in the 1989 NFC divisional playoff game, he made 2 fourth-quarter field goals in a swirling wind at the Meadowlands to enable the Rams to tie the Giants in a game the Rams eventually won in overtime.

He also made last minute field goals to beat the Cardinals in 1984, the ***** in 1986, the Bears in 1986 (a 50 yarder), and the Cardinals in 1987, as well as an overtime winner vs. the Saints in 1989.

Source: Wikipedia

Clic on image below to enlarge.

Lansford kicks the Rams into playoffs
    L.A. Times, Dec. 18, 1983:

The Rams’ Mike Lansford, left, celebrates after kicking a game-winning field goal against the New Orleans Saints — getting the Los Angeles Rams into the NFC playoffs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rams Historians: Build the All-Time "Pure Ram" Team-mike-lansfords-thriller-gw-fg.jpg  
    Last edited by RealRam; -01-28-2014 at 07:59 PM. Reason: Image
    bradwill likes this.

I think we've done a pretty darn good job of compiling the team of "Pure Rams."

Thanks for all the enthusiastic participation in this thread!

I think we've done a pretty darn good job of compiling the team of "Pure Rams."

Thanks for all the enthusiastic participation in this thread!
    Thank you Av.

Rams Historians: Build the All-Time "Pure Ram" Team-carneros.jpg - - Clic on image

Curly Horns is offline Registered User
    I just realized... the MLB is a no-brainer: HOFer Les Richter!
    Hmmm. So did you realize that before or after overlooking my post suggesting Les be added?

Quote Originally Posted by Curly Horns View Post
    Hmmm. So did you realize that before or after overlooking my post suggesting Les be added?
    Um... well, since I did, in fact, overlook that post, I guess I'll go with... before?

UK Ramfan 83 is offline Registered User

Now how about an All Pro, greatest ram team ever squad? Irrespective of time on other rosters?

cowboyhater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    But is it? If it's Waterfield in the end, so be it. [ . . . ] I think we have to at least look at Sam Bradford. He has more completions than Waterfield; a better completion percentage; a much better TD-Int. ratio, roughly 100 yards more per game, and an 18 point higher rating.

I know there's a lot of status given to nostalgia, [ . . .] But I think it would be unfair to not at least consider the idea: Bradford has been a better QB than Waterfield.
    First, as far as any all -time numbers, Waterfield is at a disadvantage as he shared time with the Rams' OTHER HoF QB, Norm Van Brocklin, in a 12 game season.

While you might say "nostalgia", I would say different rules. For instance, as he led the 1945 Cleveland team to the Rams' first championship, he also logged six interceptions ... PLAYING DEFENSE! Oh, and he had punting duties as well. Bradford might have thrown fewer TDs and more INTs if his offensive linemen weren't allowed to use their hands in blocking as they have been since the 70s. Waterfield most likely called all or most of his own plays. Bradford has a legion of sideline brains with video to do that kind of thinking for him most of the time.

Finally, I am going to end with an anecdote from Art Donovan of the Colts, explaining one of the ways (besides marrying Jane Russell) that made Bob Waterfield stand out among all of his QB peers. Donovan had made Waterfield mad on the previous play. For the following play (2nd and 12 or what not) Waterfield made a special call. He left Donovan completely unblocked and then drilled the ball full-speed into Donovan's non-face-guarded face at point blank range. Donovan had to respect a man who would burn a down to make a point like that.
    RealRam likes this.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234