View Poll Results: Did the Rams exist before 1995?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

39 97.50%
  • No

1 2.50%
    Mr. Gepetto is offline Registered User

Rams History Inquiry

This came up from an argument with a Cards fan that was dead set on the Cardinals not existing/being a completely different franchise before they moved to Arizona -- implying that the 100 years of the Cardinal franchise before Arizona was completely void.

So my question is -- I'll be careful with my diction and use the exact phrasing as he did -- do you think that the Rams were established in 1995 and every lasting bit of history before, from Cleveland to Los Angeles, essentially never happened or, at least, happened to an entirely different franchise?

KoaKoi is offline Registered User

Re: Rams History Inquiry

If they didn't... then who the E*x&p^l$i#t%i*v@e was I rooting for as a kid going to games in Anaheim with my dad? Seeing Kevin Greene and catching Flipper Anderson's hand towel from the tunnel?

your card fan friend is a retard, and please let him know i said as much. Georgia became the owner when my dad was taking me to those games and it was many years later that she finally moved the team. same team, same uni's, same terrible FO. it was them. i'm sure of it.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Tell your friend he does not know what he is talking about.

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP

I've a better idea.

Get a new friend.
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

Rambunctious is offline Registered User

The Rams and Cardinals history have traveled with them every time they have moved.

It's a little confusing when you deal with Baltimore and Cleveland. The Colts I believe took their history with them when they went to Indy. The Browns then moved to Baltimore and I believe took the Browns history with them but then the Browns basically started back up in Cleveland. So I honestly don't know if they maintain the history of the Browns or if the Ravens have it?

lordwhttgr is offline Registered User
    I live in Danville Illinois, I work all over the USA.

The Cleveland Browns went into suspension in 1995, like the Rams did in 1943. Meaning they still existed but did not field a team or participate in games. The owner of the Ravens, Art Modell, started a new Franchise in Baltimore in 1996. He hired New coaches and re-hired the players that he wanted to keep from the now suspended Cleveland Browns.

The Cleveland Browns hired new people and established a working team and resumed play in 1999. During the time that they were in suspension they built a new stadium to replace the old aging one and Al Lerner purchased the old team for 530 million which was a record sale at that time for an existing franchise.

Trivia Question: who were the only two franchises to not play a season in the NFL and not fold?
    Answer: The Cleveland Rams 1943 and the Cleveland Browns 1996-1998.

The Arizona Cardinals are the oldest Professional Football team. They were started In Wisconsin in 1898 as the Morgan Athletic Club. The Team was acquired by Chris O’Brien and was moved to Chicago and played their Games at Normal Field. Because the name was too hard for some to remember, they changed their name to the “Normals” because that was where they all met to practice. One day, Chris O’Brien was walking past a dumpster outside of The University of Chicago and saw a group of students throwing away old Football uniforms. He gave the students some money and they gave him the uniforms. A player scoffed at the old used uniforms and said “These old uniforms are just worn out and Maroon.” With a smile on his face, Chris O’Brien stated, "That's not maroon, it's Cardinal red!"They have been known as the Cardinals ever since.

The St Louis Rams got their Start in 1934 when the St Louis Gunners played 3 games and folded due to financial problems. The NFL was looking to sell that franchise to a team on the west coast to take advantage of the Los Angeles market. The Los Angeles Bulldogs were formed and started practice to build their credibility with the league. In 1936 a new league started called the American Football League and started to compete with the NFL. Following is an exerpt from The Coffin Corner: Vol. 7, No. 4 printed in 1985

Remember the Cleveland Rams?
    By Hal Lebovitz
    (from the Cleveland Plain Dealer, January 20, 1980)

“A friend of mine, Paul Thurlow, who owned the Boston Shamrocks, called me. He said a new football league was being formed. It was to be called the American Football League. He said a fellow named Buzz Wetzel, an AlI-America back from Ohio State who had played for the Chicago Bears, was trying to put together a team for Cleveland and his effort was faltering. He needed financial support.
    “I never had seen a pro game and was something less than enthusiastic. But I told Wetzel and Thurlow to visit me at my home. I asked some others from Waite Hill to be there too – Dan Hanna, who was publisher of the Cleveland News, John Hadden, the attorney, Ed Bruch and Bill Otis.
    “The result was our formation of a group to back the team. We invited Bill Reynolds, Dave Inglis, Bob Gries, Dean Francis, John F. Patt, Burke Paterson and a few others, all prominent Clevelanders. Each put up $1,000 and Hanna and I put up somewhat more. I can’t recall the exact amount.
    “Buzz was to run the show, serve as coach and player, too. One day, Buzz said, ‘Now we’ve got to come up with a name.’ Reporters from the Plain Dealer and Press were there. I asked the newspapermen for their advice. They agreed it should be a short name, ‘One that would easily fit into a headline,’ they said.
    “Fordham was a big football school at the time and its nickname was the Rams. One of the writers suggested we use Rams, too. I said to Buzz, ‘We can’t get one shorter than that.’ That settled it. We became the Rams.”
    The Rams played seven games in its birth year and won five. Not bad. But nobody cared, even if the name was a joy for the headline writers. The Rams played to empty seats. The new American Football League made no impact on the local fans, or fans elsewhere for that matter. To them, there was only one pro league – the established National Football League.
    “At the end of the season,” Marshman remembers, “Dan Hanna and I had lunch downtown at the Union Club. He talked about plans for the 1937 season for the Rams.
    “’Count me out,’ I said. ‘The American League is a failure.’
    “Dan said, ‘Do you think we can get into the National Football League?’
    “We decided to call Joe Carr, the president of the NFL. Cleveland had been in the league some years earlier. He came to Cleveland and encouraged us to apply. He said the league was going to add one team.
    “So in December, 1936, I went to the NFL meeting in Chicago and made my presentation. They told me to sit down and wait. Next, a man from Houston made his presentation. They thanked him and told him to leave. I thought that was very impolite since I was allowed to remain. Next, a man from Los Angeles made a pitch for Los Angeles. They excused him, too. I couldn’t understand it, because their presentations were every bit as good as mine.
    “As soon as the two others had left the room, George Preston Marshall (owner of the Washington Redskins) jumped up and said, ‘I move we give it to Cleveland.’ Everybody agreed. It was set up. They had decided on us in advance. They wanted to keep the teams in the east and midwest.
    “They asked me, ‘Are you prepared to pay for the franchise? You’ve got to pay right now if you want it.’ The amount was $10,000. This was on a Friday and I didn’t have that much money. This was depression time, you know. I had $7,000 in the bank.
    “But I said, ‘Sure,’ and wrote out a check for $10,000. I hurried back to Cleveland, got $5,000 from Hanna, took $5,000 from my savings and rushed to the bank Monday morning to cover the check.”
    And so, the Cleveland Rams were born again – officially in the National Football League for the first time. The Rams had a few holdover players from 1936 and 10 from the college draft. The league had made the selections for the “new team” before the franchise e had been awarded. The first choice was a fullback from Purdue, Johnny Drake."

By Homer Marshman

And there it is. The story of how our Rams became an NFL Franchise. We went 1-10 that year. 9 years later we won our first NFL Title and that set the number 9 as our number. In 1949 we won 6 straight games and lose the NFL Championship to the Philly Eagles. In 1969 led by the fearsome foursome, we went 11-3 and lost the West Coast Championship game to the Minnesota Vikings. In 1979 we went 9-7 and were the only NFL Team to play at home as an “away team” in the Super Bowl. Jack Youngblood played inspired football on a broken Fibula, the main bone in your leg beside the Tibia. We shut up and shut down the Tampa bay Bucks 9-0 on three field goals in the championship game. In 1989 we lost the NFC Championship to the San Francisco miners 30-3. Everyone will remember the game before when we surprised the NY Giants with a late pass from Jim Everett to The Flipper (Anderson) who ran through the field, through the End Zone, out the tunnel and into our hearts, to win the game in overtime. In 1999, notice the 3, count them, 3 9’s, we explode on the field and blow every one out of the water as Kurt Warner, Marshal Faulk, Ricky Phroel, Issac Bruce, Tory Holt, Orlando Pace, Kevin Carter, Todd Light, D’marco Farr and London Fletcher make what has come to be called the Greatest Show on Earth, later changed to Turf in the next season. We had a record of 13-3, 11-0 in the dome. We crushed the Tennessee Titans 23-16 in the SUPER BOWL. Our defense held the lowly Titans to 0 points in the first half. A last ditch effort to tie the game was foiled by Mike Jones who tackled Kevin Dyson inches from the goal line to seal the victory.

Footnote: the NFL does not recognize the AFL2 as it was later known as. Thus according to the NFL the team did not exist before 12 Feb 1937.

Last edited by lordwhttgr; -05-25-2010 at 11:36 PM.

live4ramin is offline Registered User

Tell your friend, Bill Bidwell has bowties older than him. He can't deny the Bidwells.

The same goes for the rams and Georgia. She had bowties older than.........Never mind.
    Last edited by live4ramin; -05-26-2010 at 12:51 PM.
    Tell me when it's over,

Aussie Dave is offline Registered User

there is a big difference between moving a franchise and creating a new one... your friend has no idea

ramdan is offline Registered User

Georgia brought the team History too.

She was very adamant about retaining the Ram History, uni's and name and it being the same Ram team - just moved it to another city. She specified that this be the case if they were to move.