By Howard Balzer, USA TODAY Sports Weekly
ST. LOUIS His numbers speak for themselves, but it takes more than numbers to measure the man.

In the case of Rams wide receiver Torry Holt, his numbers show just how productive he has been since coming to the Rams as the sixth overall pick in the 1999 draft. It's just that few seem to notice, perhaps because Holt, while a vibrant personality, isn't one to call attention to himself, whether with words or end-zone dances.

Entering this season, Holt had never missed a game and is on a streak of five consecutive seasons with at least 1,300 yards. No other NFL player has ever done that. The streak includes two years in which he went over 1,600 yards, most notably his 2003 season, when he had 117 catches for 1,696 yards and 12 touchdowns.

While the presence of humble receiver Isaac Bruce was a role model for Holt when he came to the Rams, he emphasizes that he really didn't have to change from the way he had always been.

"I remember when I was growing up and I'd do my little thing and show other teams up, and they'd start calling me 'Hot dog,' " Holt says. "Mom always said, 'That stuff one day is going to catch up with you.' After she said that, I just played the game.

"Even in high school, I always felt like I was the underdog, so going out and doing all the stuff isn't going to get me anything more. I just wanted to go out and play hard and show that I can play on any level with anybody."

Before attending North Carolina State, Holt spent a year at Hargrave Military Academy in Virginia, an experience that also shaped his future.

"(Celebrating) was something you couldn't do at the military academy," Holt says. "It was score, give the ball back to the ref and go over with the other cadets and celebrate. Just my life experiences have made me the person that I am today."

Rams coach Mike Martz, now on a medical leave of absence, says of Holt: "Torry is happy with who he is. He doesn't need any notoriety. He loves to play. You've seen him in practice; he's like a little kid running around here.

"He doesn't care about the attention, the notoriety, the commercials, or special spots on him or any of those things. I think those are good for the National Football League. That's not who Torry is. He could care less about that stuff."

"I've always said, when I came into the NFL, I made it a point to Coach that I don't necessarily need all that stuff to get me going or to solidify my position," Holt says. "I'm here to help this organization win ballgames and win championships. As long as I can do that and stay healthy and, most importantly, stay consistent, I'm fine with that.

"If that other stuff comes, if I can get an endorsement here or be on TV here, that's fine; I'll take those if it comes, but I'm not going to go out of my way to try to draw attention to myself. That's not something I look forward to doing. I just try to go out and let my play do my talking for me."

Quarterback Marc Bulger loves Holt's consistency and work ethic. "He does the same thing every season, every offseason," Bulger says. "He doesn't take anything for granted. Him and Isaac after every practice always are working on something. They're always working hard. I just like the fact that he hasn't changed at all with all his success. He understands it takes hard work."