BM_Face is offline Registered User

Rams hope to hold onto WR Clayton with contract extension

NFL.com
    Published: Feb. 22, 2011 at 09:46 a.m

The St. Louis Rams would like to bring back wide receiver Mark Clayton, who immediately added a downfield threat for the team before he sustained a season-ending knee injury in Week 5, the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported Tuesday.

Clayton, who was obtained in a trade with the Baltimore Ravens just days before the season opener, had 23 catches for 306 yards and two touchdowns and quickly meshed with rookie quarterback Sam Bradford.

To that end, the Rams and Clayton's agent, Jim Steiner, have begun discussions about an extension. Whether a deal gets done for the NFL's collective bargaining agreement with the players union expires March 3 remains to be seen.

"We've had dialogue with Mark really since the time he got here," Kevin Demoff, the Rams' executive vice president for football operations, told the newspaper. "He came on a one-year deal. We've had good discussions and we'll continue to have discussions with Mark and his agent throughout.

"He's certainly a candidate to get an extension done before the deadline. But if he doesn't, that wouldn't change our opinion on wanting him back."

Steiner said Clayton is progressing in his rehabilitation from the patellar tendon injury.

"He's doing extremely well," Steiner said. "He'll be 100 percent, and be fine. I don't know exactly when he'll be at full, full, full, speed. I don't want to speak out of turn, but I think it's somewhere at the end of March, something like that, or in April."
    I would like to see him return.

A defeated look of consternation, dissappointment, or even pain. The name derives from the look one often gets when challenged by a large BM.

rNemesis is offline Registered User

Re: Rams hope to hold onto WR Clayton with contract extension

Yes, indeed, I would also like to see more of same. My only concern with him this year was dropping some crucial passes here and there but he will have to prove that this year but no doubt the guy brings fire and energy to the game and a legitimate downfield threat in the passing game. If he can continue this, the sky will be the limit with AJ Green or Julio Jones SHOULD THEY STILL BE AROUND AT #15. Makes we fantasize about the opportunitities for Bradford and Mcdaniels.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

I'd like to see us keep Clayton. The guy was an instant producer from the get go.

RealRam is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by LARAM0 View Post
    I'd like to see us keep Clayton. The guy was an instant producer from the get go.
    By all means, please! Absolutely. We need to start establishing a receivers corps with a few reliable players for SB and yes, Gilyard is right there among are top two. I sure hope MC remains a Ram for a few years.