ramsplaya16 is offline Registered User

Rams hope Jones is long term answer

Rams hope Jones is long-term answer at punter

Published Friday, August 03, 2007

ST. LOUIS (AP) — The St. Louis Rams needed some stability at the punter position, and Donnie Jones needed a fresh start.

Jones signed a five-year free-agent contract with St. Louis in April. He is expected to be the long-term answer to what has been a problem spot for the Rams.
    “It’s great here, I love it,” Jones, 27, said. “It’s a real good working environment.”

Jones spent the last two seasons in Miami where he quietly developed into one of the best punters in the AFC. In 2005 he averaged 43.5 yards per kick, including a league-best net of 39.3.

The left-footer also had a then-career high 63-yard punt in a 24-10 win over Tennessee on Dec. 24, 2005. Last year, he averaged 42 yards per kick and put 28 punts inside the 20-yard-line.

Jones decided to look elsewhere after an offseason clash of wills with new Dolphins assistant special teams coach Steve Hoffman, who was hired in February. Hoffman wanted Jones to change several aspects of his kicking style and Jones didn’t feel the need to make any drastic switches in his mechanics.

“This guy pretty much told me that I was no good,” Jones said.

In April, the Rams signed him to an offer sheet and the Dolphins did not match it. “I was happy,” he said “The last month I was (in Miami) was a pretty ugly one.”

Jones said he already feels appreciated in St. Louis, where the punter spot has been the source of frequent turnover. Matt Turk, Kevin Stemke, Reggie Hodges, Mitch Berger and Sean Landeta (twice) have all held the position at one time or another over the past five seasons.

Jones was a seventh-round selection by the Seattle Seahawks after helping Louisiana State to the national championship in 2003.

NOTES: Coach Scott Linehan, who was offensive coordinator for three seasons at Minnesota, said he was stunned by the fatal bridge collapse in Minneapolis. He said he had crossed that bridge, “at least 100 times,” during his time there. “I called a few friends, they were all OK,” Linehan said. “The people in that city will rally.”

Built RAM tough

renrawtruk is offline Registered User

Re: Rams hope Jones is long term answer

May not seem major, but 90% of the kick returners are used to fielding punts in practice from a RIGHT footed kicker. I am willing to bet that it is different fielding a ball with opposite spin and probably opposite curve (a litte left to right instead of right to left), and will result in a better special teams play for the Rams. Either because the opposing PR recognizes this as the balls in the air and is more likely to call a fair catch, or because we get some turnovers on mishandled returns.

Again, minor detail, but could be a slight edge in getting the PR out of his groove.

Keenum is offline Registered User

Anything to lessen our worries about players. Hopefully he'll be a stable force for years to come, much like Jeff Wilkins has been.

Flaw is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by renrawtruk View Post
    May not seem major, but 90% of the kick returners are used to fielding punts in practice from a RIGHT footed kicker. I am willing to bet that it is different fielding a ball with opposite spin and probably opposite curve (a litte left to right instead of right to left), and will result in a better special teams play for the Rams. Either because the opposing PR recognizes this as the balls in the air and is more likely to call a fair catch, or because we get some turnovers on mishandled returns.

Again, minor detail, but could be a slight edge in getting the PR out of his groove.
    Game of inches.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rams hope Jones is long term answer-205px-the_tackle_sbxxxiv.jpg  

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by renrawtruk View Post

thats a very valid point,thanks