MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Rams’ hope for success depends on …

By Roger Hensley

THE WATERCOOLER

QUESTION: The Rams obviously had many deficiencies last season as they limped to a 2-14 record. But if you had to zoom in on one area and say “this MUST be much better” in 2009 if the Rams have any hope of really improving, what would it be? Offensive line, defense in general, quarterback play, staying healthy at RB? Or would it be something different altogether?

BILL COATS
    The offensive line is the key. For the Rams to mount an offense that can complement what should be an improved, but probably not a top-shelf defense, QB Marc Bulger must be protected and RB Steven Jackson must have room to run. If they are neutralized, the Rams have little hope for success.

BRYAN BURWELL
    Without question, THE most significant area that must improve is the offensive line. Protect the quarterback and open large holes for SJ39.

KATHLEEN NELSON
    Hate to be hackneyed, but it all starts up front. Improved play by the offensive line opens holes for Steven Jackson and closes the holes around Marc Bulger.

REID LAYMANCE
    Straightening up the plants at Rams Park wasn’t the answer for Jim Haslett’s interim regime. One of the tenets of the Patriots success, is that it all starts in the middle, on both sides of the ball, and works its way outside. So, knowing the Rams need help everywhere, I’d go in order: Defensive line, offensive line, linebacker, quarterback, running back.

ROGER HENSLEY
    It’s obviously not the popular opinion here, but I feel winning football games begins and ends with a stingy defense. Last season, opponents seemingly ran through and threw over the Rams defense at will. Not only does that demoralize the defense, but it has the same impact on an offense that, in turn, feels like it must score 30 points or more to have any chance at winning. Not to mention, a bad defense will consistently leave an offense fighting an uphill battle in terms of field position. The Rams need to get mean. They need a defense with an identity. And maybe, just maybe, once in awhile the defense can even steal a game for them. But a defense that continues to take on water the way the Rams have in recent years will sink any chance this team has at turning things around in the near future.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Rams’ hope for success depends on …

laram0

The trenches, period. That's where it all starts and ends as far as success in the NFL goes.

GO RAMS!!!!

RebelYell is offline Registered User

The defensive line has been partially rebuilt and it will be completed this next offseason when Little is replaced. People love to complain about our DTs but teams have been running past Little for years.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Both lines need to improve. I want to see what Spags does with our DLine. The OLine I'm excited to see. This is a new team.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Devaney, if you care about this team... fire the offensive coordinator!!!!

shower beers is offline Registered User

As much as I hate to say it, I'm really excited for NEXT YEAR. I think that there will be a lot of growing pains this year, including our offensive line gelling. I think we need another year to really pull things together.

tdog08 is offline Registered User

I say Bulger if he can prove to be a capable leader who can still be a good QB in the league then we will be better.

eldfan is offline Registered User

Offensive line and Defensive line you got to be able to run protect Bulger and stop the run if we are going to improve any.
    :ramlogo:

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by tdog08 View Post
    I say Bulger if he can prove to be a capable leader who can still be a good QB in the league then we will be better.
    If Bulger is given a reasonable amount of time to throw, he'll do just fine. Part of having that time will come from our being able to run effectively, and in so doing, keeping defenses honest. With the line we've had the past couple of years, opposing D's could pretty much lay back their ears and go after Marc.

On O we will need to really spread the ball around in concert with a heavy dose of SJ.

On D -- Stop the run .. Stop the run .. STOP THE RUN !!!!!!!

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

For variety's sake, I'll say we need to improve on the first quarter. When we were able to get on the board early last season, the games were usually close. When the opponent went up 14 nothing or more by the end of the first quarter, it usually wound up being a blowout. Especially with a young team that hasn't built up the confidence that they can come back from deficits, we need to be able to make sure we can stick to the game plan without players pressing to try to catch up.

Maybe it's not really the most important thing to our chances of success, but I think being able to come out and set the tempo is an underrated element that we have lacked.

live4ramin is offline Registered User

If we're going to continue to trot out a defensive line consisting of four defensive ends then we need hoss linebackers that can stick tackles and not be off camera after every play.
    Kiss my ass, football gods

general counsel is offline Registered User

Jackson and Bulger remaining healthy and dramatically improved offensive line play. Our defense is still suspect. The talent level is not there yet. If however, we can effectively run the ball, we can shorten the game, keep our defense off the field and fresh, and set up good down and distance passing opportunities, especially play action related. I dont care how much better the defense plays, it wont be anywhere near good enough to keep us in games if we dont get much, much, much better on the offensive line.

One other point. In general, we are obviously NOT a deep team, as we barely have funtional nfl starters in a number of spots. If we dont stay healthy as a team, its going to be a very long year again.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Turnovers and penalties,amongs't other things.