MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Rams are hurting at cornerback ..

BY BILL COATS Monday, August 16, 2010 12:00 am

With a training camp-size horde of players at his disposal, Rams coach Steve Spagnuolo probably wasn't anticipating serious depth issues in Saturday night's preseason opener at the Edward Jones Dome.

But injuries left him with a dicey situation at cornerback, with only three healthy bodies remaining to finish the 28-7 loss to Minnesota.

"It gets scary," Spagnuolo said. "And think of it: You've got an 80-man roster now (the game-day limit in the regular season is 45). But we got through it."

They did so with Quincy Butler, who started alongside Kevin Dockery, playing almost the entire game, and rookies Marquis Johnson who only recently returned from a knee injury and Antoine Thompson seeing extended action.

"The guys that had to play. ... I appreciate their efforts," Spagnuolo said.

Three cornerbacks were unavailable: Ron Bartell (ankle), Bradley Fletcher (knee) and Justin King (calf). Then rookie Jerome Murphy went down with an ankle injury in the first minute of the second quarter. Dockery left later with a hip pointer.

Spagnuolo said Sunday that Murphy probably won't practice this week and that if Dockery gets any work in, it will be a bonus. But Bartell and Fletcher will practice, at least on a limited basis.

"So, good and bad," Spagnuolo said. "If we get some snaps out of Kevin during the week, we're a half a guy better than we were last week, so to speak."

other injuries

Also injured Saturday were safety Craig Dahl (knee), linebacker Dominic Douglas (shoulder) and wide receiver Brandon McRae (ankle). All are day-to-day, Spagnuolo said.

In addition to Bartell and Fletcher, defensive end C.J. Ah You (hamstring), guard Jacob Bell (side), wide receiver Mardy Gilyard (arm) and wideout Brandon Gibson (hamstring) should get limited work at practice this week.

Probably out for at least another week are King, kicker Josh Brown (hip), guard John Greco (chest), safety James Butler (knee) and defensive end Eugene Sims (hamstring).

MORE SUISHAM

Brown's extended absence means that Shaun Suisham is likely to be the Rams' kicker again Saturday night in Cleveland. Suisham, added to the roster Thursday, booted an extra point and kicked off twice vs. the Vikings.

westbrook watch

Despite reports over the weekend that free-agent running back Brian Westbrook could land with the Rams as early as today, Spagnuolo said nothing was imminent.

"No real update," he said. "I talked to Brian before I went on vacation; he and I have a good relationship. And then every once in a while we'll text back and forth. But nothing concrete right now."

good and bad

Return men generally are instructed to not field a punt inside the 10-yard line. Perhaps a bit over-eager, the Rams' Danny Amendola hauled in one at the 7-yard line in the first quarter Saturday.

"By the rules I should have let that one go," he said. "I guess that one worked out."

Amendola dashed 93 yards to the end zone, putting the Rams on top 7-0. After viewing film of the play, Spagnuolo noted that key blocks were thrown by Murphy, Kenneth Darby, Jordan Kent, Kevin Payne and David Roach.

On his next try, Amendola fumbled and the Vikings recovered at the Rams' 16-yard line. Minnesota made it 7-7 five plays later.

"I just got hit. It was unfortunate," Amendola said. "Better now than in the regular season."

feeley's analysis

Veteran A.J. Feeley, who started at quarterback, completed three of six passes for 19 yards before giving way to No. 1 overall draft pick Sam Bradford early in the second quarter.

"It's nice to get out there and play under the lights, get the first one out of the way," Feeley said. "We realize we've got a lot of work to do. Everybody's got to look at themselves individually and see what they've got to do better to make this offense work. That's the bottom line.

"As a quarterback, you've got to be productive and move the team. If that doesn't happen, it's always on you. That's how I look at it. Those first two drives that we didn't put points on the board, I take that; that's my responsibility."

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

Re: Rams are hurting at cornerback ..

#25 Johnson was getting burned and missing tackles. I was wondering what that guy was doing out there. I know he is a rookie, but the kid lacked awareness. He was responsible for at least 2 tds.
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    westbrook watch

Despite reports over the weekend that free-agent running back Brian Westbrook could land with the Rams as early as today, Spagnuolo said nothing was imminent.

up to 5 hours ago he was expected to sign with the Rams, but all of the sudden even the freakin whiners are in the mix trying to snatch him.

ridiculous!
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP

Man I hope we get this guy.
    He was to McNabb what Faulk was to Warner, my opinion.
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

Dwight Frye is offline Registered User

Key word being 'was'. Still hope we get him here. Can't hurt.
    If a team won their division seven straight times, that would be a NFL record. Now add on that team did it with seven different QB's in seven straight years,that record is unbeatable. To do that feat, you must of had a great Defense. Jack Youngblood was the captain of that defense.