RamWraith is offline Registered User

Rams Inside Slant

It wasn't that surprising, but it was still emotional when the Rams decided to part ways with guard Adam Timmerman.
    Timmerman signed with the team early in the 1999 free-agent period and was a large part of the team's turnaround that led to a Super Bowl appearance that season. He never missed a game from that season until last year when injured ribs snapped an overall 184-game streak of consecutive games.

His absence led to Richie Incognito to playing Timmerman's right guard spot, and the youth of Incognito and his ability led the Rams to elect not to pay Timmerman a $200,000 roster bonus. He was also due $2.2 million in salary.

His release saved the Rams $1.3 million against the salary cap this season.

Said coach Scott Linehan, "I told Adam we've just got to make a move with some of these players that were starting to emerge, and that at this point in his career he probably doesn't deserve to be a backup. Our organization is indebted to him for his years of service. He helped a great offense. Got to a couple Super Bowls. He had a great run with the Rams."

Timmerman still wants to play and believe he can do so at a high level.

"It still doesn't make a lot of sense to me," he said of being released. "But I guess it doesn't have to. I would've liked the opportunity to compete for a job, but that's obviously not in the cards."

Timmerman said he never felt totally comfortable after Linehan arrived last year.

"I didn't feel that I was somebody they put much stock in, or that they cared that much about here," Timmerman said. "I don't know (why). It wasn't as if I didn't try to buy into the system."

However, Linehan didn't agree with Timmerman's assessment.

"If that was the case, he wouldn't have started 13 games," the coach said. "He did a very admirable job for us this year. This is the tough part of the business when you get guys that are at the end of their career. Very few get to go out like John Elway did."

NOTES, QUOTES

—The Rams acquired DE James Hall from the Lions for a fifth-round pick in this year's draft. During the 2006 season, the Rams acquired a fifth-round pick from Buffalo for defensive end Anthony Hargrove. That pick will be 11th in the round. The Rams send their own pick, 17th in the round, to Detroit.

Hall played just seven games last season because of a shoulder injury and had five sacks. He won't be totally healthy until training, so his acquisition is a minor risk with Hall 30 years old. The Rams had to pay a $500,000 roster bonus to Hall, and his 2007 salary is $2.75 million.

Last season, the Rams got only two sacks from their defensive right ends.

—Although it's a long shot that he will play this season, the Rams plan to pay RB Marshall Faulk a $225,000 roster bonus next week.

Faulk spent the 2006 season on reserve/physically unable to perform and was paid $1 million. He admittedly did little rehab after August reconstructive knee surgery because of his analyst job with NFL Network.

But Faulk isn't ready to announce his retirement, and the Rams will let Faulk decide at his own pace, even though coach Scott Linehan said the team is moving on from Faulk and said he hasn't spoke to him since before last year's spring minicamp.

—The Rams made an offer to free-agent WR Kevin Curtis, who visited Minnesota Friday and was expected to head to Detroit from there.

"I'm not optimistic, but I also don't know that it isn't possible," coach Scott Linehan said. "I know Kevin's looking for a starting job."

QUOTE TO NOTE: "Certainly, we've got some free agents that we've targeted. But we also don't know what kind of market we're dealing with. The hardest thing to do right now is be patient. We're all like volunteer firemen. We're all kind of on call this weekend. You never know what's going to happen." - Coach Scott Linehan on the opening of free agency.

STRATEGY AND PERSONNEL

—Tennessee free agent WR Drew Bennett visited the Rams on the first day of free agency, and quickly signed a six-year, $30 million deal. It includes a reported $10 million in guaranteed money, with a $7.5 million signing bonus.

Bennett will become the Rams' No. 3 receiver behind Torry Holt and Isaac Bruce.

"This is just a great addition to our (receiving) corps," Rams coach Scott Linehan said. "He's versatile, but you start with his size."

FRANCHISE PLAYER: None.

TRANSITION PLAYER: None.

UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENTS

—LB Jamal Brooks made the roster, was cut and then brought back because of injuries. He can contribute on special teams.

—WR Kevin Curtis will test the market and see if there are teams willing to pay him at a No. 2 receiver level. There probably will be, which means the Rams will need a replacement.

—RB Stephen Davis helped the development of Steven Jackson but bad knees make his return unlikely.

—RB Tony Fisher will be coming off a knee injury, but if healthy can provide solid special teams play and a receiving threat on third down.

—CB Travis Fisher missed too many games over the last three seasons, and there will be little, if any, effort made to re-sign him.

—NT Jason Fisk is unlikely to return and he's expected to retire.

—DE Brandon Green is a high-motor player who just doesn't have great ability. Might be back if the contract is reasonable.

—LB Isaiah Kacyvenski helped improve special teams coverage, but will probably be looking for more than a one-year, minimum-value contract.

—WR Shaun McDonald had his share of big plays in three seasons, but not consistently enough. The only way he's back would be as a fourth receiver for moderate money.

—WR/KR Willie Ponder didn't upgrade the kickoff return game as the team hoped. Still, it might make sense to bring him back unless the Rams know they have someone better.

—FB Paul Smith continued his injury history with the Rams, and just can't stay on the field.

—LB Raonall Smith proved himself to be a versatile player in situational defenses and on special teams.

—T/G Todd Steussie would like to re-sign with the Rams, but he will see if another team will offer a starting job.

—P Matt Turk was consistent all season, and the Rams should ensure that he's back for another year at least.

UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENTS (not tendered offers)

—S Dwaine Carpenter (not tendered as RFA) did a decent job on special teams, and could return for lower salary than tender.

—C/G Larry Turner (not tendered as RFA) is a competitor, and might be back at lower salary than tender.

RESTRICTED FREE AGENTS

—LB Brandon Chillar (tendered at $850,000 with 4th-round pick as compensation) was solid as the strong-side starter, and played better than has been given credit for.

—G/T Adam Goldberg (tendered at $850,000 with no compensation) is an excellent swingman to have around, with the ability to play every position on the line.

—TE Aaron Walker (tendered at $850,000 with 5th-round pick as compensation) showed decent blocking ability and will return to compete for backup job again.

EXCLUSIVE RIGHTS FREE AGENTS: None.

PLAYERS RE-SIGNED: None.

PLAYERS ACQUIRED

—WR Drew Bennett (UFA Titans; 6 yrs/$30M/$7.5M SB)

—DE James Hall (trade Lions).

—DE Trevor Johnson: Waivers Saints.

—DT Tim Sandidge: Waivers Chiefs.

PLAYERS LOST

—LB Dexter Coakley (released).

—OG Adam Timmerman (released).

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Re: Rams Inside Slant

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith View Post

—LB Brandon Chillar (tendered at $850,000 with 4th-round pick as compensation) was solid as the strong-side starter, and played better than has been given credit for.
    This is exactly what I've been saying for awhile now: The Rams coaches are not anywhere near as dissatisfied with B. Chillar's play as many of the fans are. And who knows why so many people are unhappy with Chillar anyway? So enough already with the L. Timmons and P. Willis picks at #13. It just ain't gonna happen. And I, for one, am tired of hearing it. Chillar's not going to the HOF anytime soon; but he is certainly not the problem on the defense that he is frequently portrayed on this board. This report is why the Rams have not and are not going to waste their money going after the Briggs', Simmons', and Harris' of this league.

WHAT SAY YE?

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Get you some RAM. He's been serviceable, there is nothing wrong with his play. Come to think of it, you are right....there really isn't a reason to be dissatisfied with Chillar's play.

Doesn't cause too many penalties, not necessarily hurt that often, and he really doesn't get burned too often. Overall, serviceable. I'll take that.

Now, about that J Kennedy fella.......

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    Ahhhh.....don't get me started tex! I just ran out of Alka Seltzer and my Excedrin bottle is gettin' low!! BTW Welcome back. We all missed you.

WHAT SAY YE?

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    Speaking of Kennedy, without any big names being signed on the DL, does he get a reprieve from the chopping block with one more chance??

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

Chillar is my guy; part of the SD LB tandem, (Pisa) and IMO is better than some of the FA LB's that have been signed. It would be nice to add some quality depth at the position, but DT is the glaring weakness.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

LongTimeFan is offline Registered User

For those of you (myself included) who are happy with Chillar's play, I found this on the ESPN website talking about restricted free agents:
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/column...en&id=2789488:

Quote from Len Pasquarelli
    • SLB Brandon Chillar, St. Louis (compensation: fourth round): A nice combination of size and strength, he can stack people at the line of scrimmage but also has some pursuit skills. He earned a starting job on the strong side in 2006 and registered 67 tackles and two sacks in 14 starts. He looks like an ascending player. He doesn't turn 25 until October and already has 26 starts on his résumé.

RealRam is offline Registered User

B. Chillar. I'll admit I was disappointed with his overall SLB play last year but I'll also admit I don't have many specifics to substantiate my own opinion, other than he doesn't seem to be fast (then again, he's the bigger type of LB at 6-3 / 245).

Let's keep him and appreciate an improved Chillar this year on a rotating system. Raonall Smith, ditto.

blood85 is offline Registered User

VERY exciting pick up for the rams, Hall?? are you kidding me? I'm starting to push the panic button if we don't pick up a solid acquisition at the Defensive side.

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

He had 44 tkls in 06' which shows he's improving, and he is looking for a big contract so I can see him having a solid year. Let's not forget that many teams ran at us in three receiver sets last season, which would put Chillar on the sidelines. He's not a star Linebacker, but he is solid.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey