Arrow Rams Inside Slant

It seems apparent that when the Rams begin practice July 28, many eyes will on the secondary, most notably the safety position. To say the competition will be intense there could be the understatement of the summer.
    "I want guys who have a chance to play in the National Football League and we are acquiring those types of players," Rams secondary coach Kurt Schottenheimer said. "We are trying to get as much competition in that area as we possibly can."

Here's a refresher course on what the offseason has been like. When the 2004 season ended, Adam Archuleta was the only safety on the roster under contract for 2005. And he would spend the offseason rehabilitating a back injury that seriously affected his play last season.

The Rams tried to re-sign Antuan Edwards, but he rejected the team's three-year offer, and eventually signed a one-year, minimum-salary contract with the Patriots. Soon after Edwards' rejection, it was announced that linebacker Pisa Tinoisamoa would move to safety. But that didn't last long.

Once the Rams signed Michael Stone and Michael Hawthorne as free agents, Tinoisamoa was back where he belongs. Subsequently, a position switch was made with wide receiver Mike Furrey moving to safety. Then, in the draft, safeties Oshiomogho Atogwe and Jerome Carter were selected in the third and fourth rounds, respectively.

Now, it's time for the competition, and Carter is looking forward to it.

"I just have to be myself," Carter said. "I have to go out and play hard every play and work hard. Whatever I'm asked to do I am going to do it."

Schottenheimer was impressed when he worked Carter out before the draft and talked to Florida State defensive coordinator Mickey Andrews about him.

Schottenheimer said, "He (Andrews) said (Carter) was one of the hardest working and one of the toughest guys that they have ever had at Florida State. You see that, it shows up on the film that way. He is a quiet young man that comes from a very humble background."

As for Carter's chances of garnering significant playing time, Schottenheimer said, "When you are looking at safeties you have to have all of it. He is very tough and very aggressive in the run; that is probably what he does best. But when you look at that speed that he had at the combine and the workout, he can play in space, so I don't think he really has any limitations whether it be run or pass.

"We are excited to have him here and we look for his presence to be felt early on and give him a chance to compete. We will see how that all unfolds as we go through training camp."

CAMP CALENDAR: The entire team reports July 27, with the first practice the next morning. The Rams will work at their home facility after nine summers at Western Illinois University in Macomb, Ill. There will be a night scrimmage Aug. 6 at Washington University and camp "breaks" on Aug. 19.

NOTES, QUOTES

—The numbers are in on the three-year contracts signed by the last four Rams draft picks. All four deals are the same in terms of base salaries. All are for the minimum salaries: $230,000 in 2005; $310,000 in 2006 and $385,000 in 2007.

Guard Claude Terrell, a fourth-round pick, received a signing bonus of $285,000 to make his total deal worth $1.21 million. He has a salary-cap charge of $325,000 this year.

Tight end Jerome Collins, the team's fifth-round pick, received a bonus of $131,400, making the value of his deal $1,056,400. His salary-cap charge for this year is $273,800.

Quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick, one of the team's two seventh-round picks, was paid a $28,250 bonus, making his deal worth $953,250. His cap charge this year is $239,417.

Fullback Madison Hedgecock, the other seventh-round choice, got a bonus of $27,900. Thus, his total deal is worth $952,900 and his salary-cap figure this year is $239,300.

With players set to report for training camp July 27, the Rams still have six draft picks to sign, including first-round tackle Alex Barron.

—Throughout the offseason, there were reports the Rams would acquire defensive tackle Jeff Zgonina from the Dolphins. Zgonina was with the Rams before signing as a free agent with Miami in 2003.

There are still those in Miami that believe he will be in St. Louis by the end of training camp. Zgonina said he is not aware of any possible trade.

"Nothing was said to me about anything," he said Zgonina. "I don't want to leave South Florida. I love it there. But I've been cut seven times, so what's one more?"

QUOTE TO NOTE: "It's far different (than college). You've got to adjust to certain people with different sizes and different types of agility. It's different because of things you've never seen before. Some people move faster than you think they do. Some people move faster at different heights and weights. It's just something you have to adjust to." - OT Alex Barron, on making the adjustment to the NFL.

STRATEGY AND PERSONNEL

UNIT-BY-UNIT ANALYSIS

QUARTERBACKS: Starter - Marc Bulger. Backups - Jamie Martin, Jeff Smoker, Ryan Fitzpatrick.

RUNNING BACKS: Starters - HB Steven Jackson, FB Joey Goodspeed. Backups - HB Marshall Faulk, HB Arlen Harris, HB Aveion Cason, FB Madison Hedgecock, FB Chris Massey, FB Nick Burley.

TIGHT ENDS: Starter - Brandon Manumaleuna. Backups - Roland Williams, Erik Jensen, Jerome Collins.

WIDE RECEIVERS: Starters - Torry Holt, Isaac Bruce. Backups - Kevin Curtis, Shaun McDonald, Dane Looker, Dante Ridgeway, Michael Coleman, Brandon Middleton, Dominique Thompson, Dominic Robinson, Jeremy Carter.

OFFENSIVE LINEMEN: Starters - LT Orlando Pace, LG Rex Tucker, C Andy McCollum, RG Adam Timmerman, RT Alex Barron. Backups - T Grant Williams, T/G Blaine Saipaia, T/G Scott Tercero, C/G Larry Turner, G Darnell Alford, T Matt Morgan, G Claude Terrell, G Zach Bray, C Toby Cecil, G Richie Incognito.

DEFENSIVE LINEMEN: Starters - DLE Leonard Little, NT Ryan Pickett, DT Jimmy Kennedy, DRE Anthony Hargrove. Backups - T/E Tyoka Jackson, DLE Vontrell Jamison, DLE Brandon Green, DRE Clifford Dukes, NT Damione Lewis, DT Brian Howard, DT Jeremy Calahan, DT Matt McChesney.

LINEBACKERS: Starters - SLB Pisa Tinoisamoa, MLB Chris Claiborne, WLB Dexter Coakley. Backups - OLB Brandon Chillar, MLB Trev Faulk, MLB Robert Thomas, OLB Jeremy Loyd, OLB Drew Wahlroos, OLB Louis Ayeni.

DEFENSIVE BACKS: Starters - LCB Jerametrius Butler, RCB Travis Fisher, SS Adam Archuleta, FS Michael Stone. Backups - CB DeJuan Groce, CB Kevin Garrett, CB Dwight Anderson, CB Ronald Bartell, CB Terry Fair, CB Corey Ivy, CB Duvol Thompson, S Michael Hawthorne, S Mike Furrey, S Jerome Carter, S Oshiomogho Atogwe.

SPECIAL TEAMS: K Jeff Wilkins, P Reggie Hodges, LS Chris Massey, KR Arlen Harris, KR Aveion Cason, PR Shaun McDonald, PR DeJuan Groce.

OldRams fan is offline Registered User

Thumbs down Re: Rams Inside Slant

Wow what a write up ! Where do you get your info ? You are rich in information well done again DEZ . hone:
    :clanram: Being a RAMS fan is a way of life :clanram: