RamWraith is offline Registered User

Rams interested in Bowles

Miami Dolphins assistant head coach Todd Bowles will interview with the Detroit Lions for their head coaching vacancy next week, according to media reports.

The Lions are not the only team interested in Bowles. ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Moretensen reported that the St. Louis Rams plan to formally request permission to interview Bowles, as well as Dallas Cowboys receivers coach Ray Sherman. The Rams already have an interview scheduled with Green Bay Packers linebackers coach Winston Moss on Saturday.

The NFL Network first reported that Bowles, who coaches the Dolphins' seconary and previously coached defensive backs with the Cowboys and Cleveland Browns, would talk to the Lions next week about taking over the Lions, who fired Rod Marinelli on Monday after suffering through a disastrous 0-16 season. Bowles and Lions GM Martin Mayhew were formerly teammates on the Washington Redskins.

The Miami Herald reported Thursday on its Web site that the Dolphins declined comment on the report.

According to media reports, the Lions also intend to interview New York Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo, Tennessee Titans defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz, Minnesota Vikings defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier and Washington secondary coach Jerry Gray.

Mortensen reported the Rams are also interested in Frazier, as well as Baltimore Ravens defensive coordinator Rex Ryan, interim coach Jim Haslett and former Giants coach Jim Fassell.

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Re: Rams interested in Bowles

does anyone think that the Rams are interviewing some of these guys because they are pretty sure that Haslett is getting the job,by that I mean some names who you wouldn't maybe have had high on your list just so they can say they went through the process.just a thought

blood85 is offline Registered User

Stop screwing around rams and hire Spags now!

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Here's some info on him from an ESPN story when he was hired in Miami:
    Bowles, 44, was an NFL defensive back for nine seasons with Washington (1986-90 and 1992-93), and San Francisco, and coached three seasons in the college ranks before joining the New York Jets' staff in 2000. In addition to one year with the Jets, he worked with Cleveland (2001-04), before moving to the Cowboys in 2005.
    He seems like kind of an odd choice. The Fins were ranked 25th against the pass last season, and when I think of the Cowboys and Browns of recent years, the first thing that comes to mind is not great pass defense. Is there any reason we are interested in this guy other than the fact that he has worked for Bill Parcells?

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by blood85 View Post
    Ah!

I miss the good ol' days when the Rams were on the verge of playing in SB34 and fans around the league were screaming for their teams to stop screwing around and hire Martz now!

NY RAMFAN is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by blood85 View Post
    I hear you and I feel you, but it's not gonna happen

Mooselini is offline Registered User

I really hope we land Rex Ryan. The guy's defense is feared across the league. Hopefully if he is hired he can bring that intensity to St Louis.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Devaney, if you care about this team... fire the offensive coordinator!!!!

Fargo Ram Fan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Mooselini View Post
    I really hope we land Rex Ryan. The guy's defense is feared across the league. Hopefully if he is hired he can bring that intensity to St Louis.
    Ray Lewis and Ed Reed are FEARED across the league. They are also at the core of the intensity that you see on the field. I dont care WHO the coach is...he cant turn $hiit into gold. He will need quite an upgrade in the tool chest. There is NOTHING CLOSE to a Ray Lewis on this roster.
    "You people point your 'f'in' finger and say theres the bad guy....what that make you....good?" Tony Montana

SJacks039 is offline Registered User

I would like rex ryan because i want to see a defensive minded team who hands the ball to the big bruiser SJax. I think if we add a corner to bartell and OJ our db's could be alrite. and keep in mind scott, lewis and suggs are free agents

oh and terrel suggs wore a stl cardinals hat in his interview on nfl network...just a thought

smizzhfx is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by SJacks039 View Post
    I would like rex ryan because i want to see a defensive minded team who hands the ball to the big bruiser SJax. I think if we add a corner to bartell and OJ our db's could be alrite. and keep in mind scott, lewis and suggs are free agents

oh and terrel suggs wore a stl cardinals hat in his interview on nfl network...just a thought
    If we could land Rex Ryan and bring in Terrell Suggs that would be HUGE for this defense. Would Ryan bring a 3-4 scheme with him??

TekeRam is offline Registered User

If we get Rex Ryan, yes, i would imagine he'd try to bring over his 3-4 and maybe bring with him one or two of his players, however, we'd have to give them the money too, which we might not have. Anyone know how our cap is looking for next year? What about the cap hits to release Holt, Bennett(sigh, sorry i was wrong about him), Chavous, Glover, Little, etc?

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

I'm not interested in Bowles because I am not sold on his schemes. Or perhaps I am just gun-shy after where Linehan came from

Nevertheless, What I do like is that the Rams are moving in finding a HC. As I look it into it, I think it a mistake to offer Hasslet the job. He might be a good coach but what is needed is a clean slate just to give players and fans a sense things are different.

Whoever the Rams pick as HC, we will see very soon if there is a ray of sunshine, or more doom and gloom. For my part the writing on the wall is immediate firings and hirings on the O-line as well as other purges. Point is as soon as you can axe the dead weight the more $$$ is saved for signing bonuses
    Last edited by Ram Dragoon; -01-02-2009 at 03:50 PM.