• 1 Post By eldfan
  • 1 Post By THOLTFAN81
  • 1 Post By Goldenfleece
  • 1 Post By eldfan

Thread: Rams to interview Cardinals DC Horton today

Bar-bq is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Rams to interview Cardinals DC Horton today

Per Adam Schefter on Twitter:

St. Louis Rams received permission to interview Cardinals defensive coordinator Ray Horton for their head coaching job today.
    Whether or not this is to fulfill the Rooney Rule we will have to wait and see. I am uninformed as to Horton's merits as a coach, but generally speaking, the Cardinals' defense is not one that I envy.

Bar-bq is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Re: Rams to interview Cardinals DC Horton today

As it turns out, I have actually read Horton's autobiography and seen the feature film adaptation. Well worth a read/watch for anybody who wants the inside scoop on our potential new leader.

Rams to interview Cardinals DC Horton today-200px-hortonhearsawhobookcover.jpg

shower beers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    Per Adam Schefter on Twitter:

Whether or not this is to fulfill the Rooney Rule we will have to wait and see. I am uninformed as to Horton's merits as a coach, but generally speaking, the Cardinals' defense is not one that I envy.

I think their defense is on the upswing, actually. They have a good core group of players, and Peterson seems to be a solid addition. Now if I would want this man as my head coach is a whole different story...

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

From Rotoworld

The Rams have reportedly received permission to interview Cardinals DC Ray Horton for their head coaching job.
    Horton's debut in the desert was an unqualified success, as his defense showed significant steady improvement throughout the season. Even if this interview is being set up to satisfy Rooney Rule requirements, Horton's stock is certainly on the rise around the league. The Rams' first choice remains ex-Titans coach Jeff Fisher.
    Once again, another great candidate for plan B by Kroneke. For those who don't know, he is a super bowl champ as a player & coach. He coached the Steelers secondaries for many years, and was seen as Dick LeBeaus eventual successor. When Dick just continuously refused to retire (with good reason the man looks like hes 40 still), Horton felt it was time for a promotion. I hope he nails the interview. I am starting to sour on this whole Jeff Fisher thing the more and more in drags on.

eldfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by THOLTFAN81 View Post
    From Rotoworld

Once again, another great candidate for plan B by Kroneke. For those who don't know, he is a super bowl champ as a player & coach. He coached the Steelers secondaries for many years, and was seen as Dick LeBeaus eventual successor. When Dick just continuously refused to retire (with good reason the man looks like hes 40 still), Horton felt it was time for a promotion. I hope he nails the interview. I am starting to sour on this whole Jeff Fisher thing the more and more in drags on.
    I was hoping the rams stay with there plan of bringing someone in with HC experience. Why would this be any difference than when they brought spags in?
    ManofGod likes this.
    :ramlogo:

Quote Originally Posted by eldfan View Post
    I was hoping the rams stay with there plan of bringing someone in with HC experience. Why would this be any difference than when they brought spags in?
    Considering 9 of the 12 teams in the playoffs are using coaches with zero HC experience it can work. For every Spags, theres a Mike McCarthy. Are we just supposed to be scared off because of some bad coaches? Who said hiring Fisher means automatic success?
    Tampa_Ram likes this.

MadCard Guest

From Rotoworld

That is not true. Keith Butler is the successor for LeBeau. The Cardinals tried for the last 2 years to get Butler as their DC but the Steelers kept promising Butler that he would be the future DC. So last year when Butler told the Cardinals that he was staying with the Steelers they went with Horton instead.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Once again, another great candidate for plan B by Kroneke. For those who don't know, he is a super bowl champ as a player & coach. He coached the Steelers secondaries for many years, and was seen as Dick LeBeaus eventual successor. When Dick just continuously refused to retire (with good reason the man looks like hes 40 still), Horton felt it was time for a promotion.
    So he's a former pro defensive back who has spent most of his career coaching other defensive backs and has one year to his name as a defensive coordinator? I am not sure if that makes him ready for prime time.
    ManofGod likes this.

eldfan is offline Registered User

Considering 9 of the 12 teams in the playoffs are using coaches with zero HC experience it can work. For every Spags, theres a Mike McCarthy. Are we just supposed to be scared off because of some bad coaches? Who said hiring Fisher means automatic success?
    The rams has hire back at back coaches with no HC experience has not work out. No one knows how Fisher would work out but the rams had a plan to bring in some one in with HC experience I for one would like to see them stay with that thinking.
    ManofGod likes this.
    :ramlogo:

Quote Originally Posted by MadCard View Post
    That is not true. Keith Butler is the successor for LeBeau. The Cardinals tried for the last 2 years to get Butler as their DC but the Steelers kept promising Butler that he would be the future DC. So last year when Butler told the Cardinals that he was staying with the Steelers they went with Horton instead.
    I stand corrected. Thank you for clarifying this. Apologies.

Quote Originally Posted by eldfan View Post
    The rams has hire back at back coaches with no HC experience has not work out. No one knows how Fisher would work out but the rams had a plan to bring in some one in with HC experience I for one would like to see them stay with that thinking.
    Well yeah I would agree. Fisher remains my number one choice. I am simply saying we cannot have a narrow minded approach to this process. If we don't land Fisher, it's moving on for me to assistants. It would be a really bad process if we lose out on Fisher so then just start moving on to failed HCs.

Mooselini Guest

I watch a lot of the Cardinals games here in Arizona. Gotta say! Their defense has definitely improved. They have a great core and local media is reporting that Calais Campbell and the team are close to an extension. After their weak 1-6 start defense has been spectacular

BarronWade is offline Registered User

I am sorry guys i just dont support this unless you tell me who is going to be the Offensive Coordinator...

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

I did!!!!

We tried an OC, DC and now possibly a DB coach as our headcoach?!!! NO WAY!!!!! 4getaboutit....

TylerBishop is offline Registered User

just a Rooney Rule guy even though they would never admit it.

We couldn't interview Bowles because Miami was holding out on us, so we move to another minority candidate very quickly.

It's a win/win for both parties. Rams fulfill their obligation and Horton gets his name brought up as a potential head coach for the future. The consideration gives him more juice as teams develop openings in the next few years.