r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Rams' Jackson Could Get More Action vs. Raiders

Rams' Jackson could get more action vs. Raiders

BY JIM THOMAS
    Friday, September 17, 2010

Steven Jackson had 26 touches against Arizona, with 22 carries and four receptions. Combine that with some superb blocking on blitz pickup, and Jackson had a full day.

But for the Rams' Pro Bowl running back there's no such thing as too much work. And make no mistake, Jackson noticed the 205 yards rushing that Tennessee piled up against this week's opponent Oakland on opening day.

"Through the course of the game, for the most part, (Oakland) kept the Tennessee running game contained," Jackson said. "As the game wore on, you could tell that (Tennessee) used play-action to loosen them up. They got them to back off, and then that's when the running game opened up for them."

Overall, 24 of the Rams' 81 plays were runs. In comparison, 39 of Tennessee's 58 plays against Oakland were runs, but the Titans jumped to a big early lead and weren't running the two-minute drill at the end of both halves as the Rams did against Arizona.

"In this league a four-yard gain is a very positive play," Jackson said. "People would like for every run to be a big gain or a touchdown for 67 yards, but realistically, that just doesn't happen in this league. You have to be patient. You have to continue to wear a team down, and you have to see what they're trying to take away and what they're going to give."

Walking wounded

Tight end Michael Hoomanawanui and linebacker Chris Chamberlain hope to return prior to the Rams' bye week, which follows the Oct. 31 game against Carolina. Both players are on crutches following injuries against Arizona.

Hoomanawanui suffered a high-ankle sprain on the Rams' second offensive possession of the day while being tackled by linebacker Daryl Washington following an eight-yard reception for a first down.

"It was just a freak accident," Hoomanawanui said. "He tackled me at the hip, and his lower body just swung right into my ankle. So it could happen to anyone; unfortunately it was me. It was tough. I played four plays my first NFL game and that happened. So definitely, a bummer."

Chamberlain suffered torn ligaments in his right big toe when someone fell on him from behind on punt coverage in the first half. Like Hoomanawanui, Chamberlain won't need surgery. Just rest and rehab.

Injury report

After sitting out Wednesday's practice, starting wide receiver Laurent Robinson (ankle) was back on the practice field Thursday. He was listed as limited participation, but got a fair amount of work during "team" periods.

Cornerback Kevin Dockery (hamstring) didn't practice for the second day in a row; cornerback Justin King (hamstring) was officially listed as limited, but did nothing during team periods.

Defensive tackle Darell Scott tweaked his left knee late in Thursday's practice, but is OK. Defensive tackle Clifton Ryan was not at practice Thursday; he was hospitalized Wednesday night because of an illness including headaches but he's apparently OK according to team officials.

Cudjo back

Released from the active roster Tuesday, defensive tackle Jermelle Cudjo cleared waivers and was signed to the practice squad. Linebacker Mortty Ivy was released from the practice squad to make room for Cudjo.

And in Oakland

The Raiders' best offensive lineman left guard Robert Gallery and their best defensive lineman tackle Richard Seymour missed Thursday's practice because of hamstring injuries. Neither has practiced this week.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Rams' Jackson Could Get More Action vs. Raiders

Jackson could get more action?

Should be "Jackson will get more action"!

Who's kidding who here? Give the beast the ball!!!!!

Our coaching staff has to let Jackson grind it out. I think they pull the plug to soon on the running game. Jackson's going to have multiple 2 and 3 yard gains but stay with it. He's bound to break 1 or 2 for big gains plus the fact our running offense is going wear down the Raiders defense. I felt like that was the biggest mistake besides the obvious (fumble at goal line, blocked fg) that our coaching staff made against AZ.

GO RAMS!

thickandthin is offline Registered User

Re: Rams' Jackson Could Get More Action vs. Raiders

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    Jackson could get more action?

Should be "Jackson will get more action"!

Who's kidding who here? Give the beast the ball!!!!!

Our coaching staff has to let Jackson grind it out. I think they pull the plug to soon on the running game. Jackson's going to have multiple 2 and 3 yard gains but stay with it. He's bound to break 1 or 2 for big gains plus the fact our running offense is going wear down the Raiders defense. I felt like that was the biggest mistake besides the obvious (fumble at goal line, blocked fg) that our coaching staff made against AZ.

GO RAMS!
    Agreed 100&