RamWraith is offline Registered User

Rams' Jackson has been this way before

The running back was successful in following Ken Simonton at OSU; now he is replacing Marshall Faulk
    Friday, August 19, 2005
    RACHEL BACHMAN
    To get an idea of how Steven Jackson will handle taking over for rushing legend Marshall Faulk this season, St. Louis Rams fans need only read Oregon State football history.

In 2002, Jackson handled the starting tailback job on the heels of Ken Simonton, the Beavers' career rushing leader with 5,044 yards. So what did Jackson do in the shadow of such a legacy?

He set Oregon State's single-season rushing record, with 1,690 yards.

"So the same steps that I'm walking now, I've already walked," Jackson said in a telephone interview. "It's no pressure. I feel like I've been through this, and I have something I can look back on and see how things worked out for me."

Life, Jackson said, is good. In July, he held a free football camp at his high school, Las Vegas' Eldorado, for 125 kids. Also in the offseason, the Rams installed FieldTurf at the Edward Jones Dome -- good news for Jackson's knee, which suffered a partially torn ligament and bruise on the dome's Astroturf last season.

To top it off, Jackson, the No. 24 pick in the 2004 draft, was named the Rams' starter in the offseason. Not bad for a guy who turned 22 last month.

"It's special," Jackson said. "Coming into the NFL, everyone dreams of not only getting there, but once you get there, wanting to be a starter. So I'm happy that it happened as soon as it did for me. It helped me prepare this offseason knowing I was going to be the starter, not to have to look over my shoulders. . . .

"I really feel like now I'm starting to live out my dream."

Jackson shared duties with Faulk last season, running for 673 yards to Faulk's 774. Jackson started three of the Rams' 16 regular-season games and played in both playoff games.

But now the starting position is Jackson's, along with the attention that goes with the title. Jackson said fans greeted him warmly last season.

He said no fan had gotten particularly crazy in his or her devotion, but "I had a couple of fans offer to cook dinner and invite me over," he said. "That's something I can't do, though."

Jackson said Faulk, who has gained almost 12,000 yards in 11 seasons, has not had a problem with his replacement.

"Marshall's not that kind of guy," Jackson said. "He understands that the game's going to go on. He's so advanced and so smart with things that he wants to pass the knowledge down to me so that one day I'll be able to do the same thing for another young guy."

Faulk's best advice to Jackson? Be yourself.

"Don't go out of my way trying to do things that he does, because we're two totally different backs," Jackson said. "And he said that I have a great amount of talent and ability, and just to believe in my own talent. It will take me a long way."

Rachel Bachman: 503-221-4373; rachelbachman@news.oregonian.com

RealRam is offline Registered User

Thumbs down Re: Rams' Jackson has been this way before

This is the season to prove himself to the Rams & NFL. :1: I like his attitude too.

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Re: Rams' Jackson has been this way before

Jackson seems to be a suitable replacement for Faulk....if not by his performance, then by his attitude. Marshall and Steven are two of a kind....and they both represent the best things about the Rams, both on and off the field.
    What a legacy for Marshall...a kid who understands the shoes he has to fill.