throwback week

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Rams' Jackson says he expects to be better prepared this season

Rams' Jackson says he expects to be better prepared this season
    BY BILL COATS
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    06/06/2009

Because of new strength coach Rock Gullickson, Steven Jackson reports that he's "definitely stronger now." Because of new running backs coach Sylvester Croom, Jackson says he's "actually understanding the details on (running a pass) route."

Which all figures into Jackson's ultimate goal.

"I'm working on being a complete running back," he said. "I've said that in the past, but this year I'm really getting detailed coaching."

For the West Coast-style offense that coordinator Pat Shurmur has installed to perk smoothly, Jackson will have to carry a big load, both as a runner and receiver.

Just three years removed from leading the NFL in yards from scrimmage, Jackson is seeking to prove his durability while also ratcheting up his productivity.

Not that Jackson hasn't produced: He topped the 1,000-yard rushing mark in 2007 (1,002) and '08 (1,042). But his receiving totals dipped significantly from '06, when he caught 90 passes for 806 yards to go with his 1,528 yards on the ground.

That's partly because a groin tear kept him out of four games in 2007, and he again was limited to 12 games last year because of a thigh injury.

"Of course, I want to be healthy, but I don't think it's really something you can prepare for," Jackson said. "A torn groin or a torn hamstring, it just happens."

Solid preparation, though, is no accident. That's where Croom's influence is making a difference, Jackson said.

"He's really big on making sure you understand; he's a teacher," he said. "Some things that you feel like you know, he double-checks you. He's a guy that come September ... I'm going to be coached up enough that I'm going to know my responsibilities, I'm going to know my assignments so I'm able to play fast."

NEXT YEAR IS HERE

Noting that last season's NFC wild-card teams, Atlanta and Philadelphia, finished last in their respective divisions in 2007, offensive lineman Adam Goldberg says not to discount the Rams in '09. "There's no reason that things like that, or better, can't happen here," he said. "We'll come out of the tunnel and face whoever comes out of the tunnel on the other side of the field. We'll face them, we'll play them, we'll execute our offense, we'll not back down from anybody, and see what happens."

RAM-BLINGS

Minicamp finishes with a single practice this morning. Two more weeks of organized team activities follow, then the team will break until training camp starts in late July.

jmk321 is offline Registered User

Re: Rams' Jackson says he expects to be better prepared this season

Quote Originally Posted by RamFan_Til_I_Die View Post
    Because of new strength coach Rock Gullickson, Steven Jackson reports that he's "definitely stronger now." Because of new running backs coach Sylvester Croom, Jackson says he's "actually understanding the details on (running a pass) route."
    I would've thought Marshall Faulk taught him how to do that correctly being the best pass catching runningback ever.

All of these articles are getting me really excited for the season.

bigtiger737 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jmk321 View Post
    I would've thought Marshall Faulk taught him how to do that correctly being the best pass catching runningback ever.

All of these articles are getting me really excited for the season.

Reports kinda made it sound like Marshall wasn't really into handing the tourch over, that was always the impression I got.. Even when you watch Marshall talk about them on NFL network marshall always jumps to talk about bulger.. I obviously don't know how they were for sure but I get the impression faulk didn't train Jackson like Warner did bulger..

blood85 Guest

He's our best player on Offense, he needs to improve his blocking skills (i.e. picking up blitzers). Hopefully, we will see improvement this year.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by bigtiger737 View Post
    Reports kinda made it sound like Marshall wasn't really into handing the tourch over, that was always the impression I got.. Even when you watch Marshall talk about them on NFL network marshall always jumps to talk about bulger.. I obviously don't know how they were for sure but I get the impression faulk didn't train Jackson like Warner did bulger..
    I agree, there did seem to be some sort of friction between Faulk and Jackson. The question is why?

maineram Guest

Stephen always frustrates me in a couple of ways,

Pass catching is a strength of his, being at half speed when he get's the ball, he is a monster.

Running the ball and not dancing around at times get's him negetive yards.

Pass blocking is not his strength and let's hope he can master this for us to succeed this year. How many times last year with the game on the line, on third down, first year Ram Kenneth Darby was in for blitz pickup ?? Give me a break !! This is his weakness, or he is just an unwilling blocker. Let's hope that with all his, " new found strength", that also includes intestinal fortitude strength and not WIMPING out.

Maineram -

rammiser is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by maineram View Post
    Stephen always frustrates me in a couple of ways,

Pass catching is a strength of his, being at half speed when he get's the ball, he is a monster.

Running the ball and not dancing around at times get's him negetive yards.

Pass blocking is not his strength and let's hope he can master this for us to succeed this year. How many times last year with the game on the line, on third down, first year Ram Kenneth Darby was in for blitz pickup ?? Give me a break !! This is his weakness, or he is just an unwilling blocker. Let's hope that with all his, " new found strength", that also includes intestinal fortitude strength and not WIMPING out.

Maineram -
    I think your being a bit harsh. Kind of hard to be good at picking up the blitz when there are 3 guys running free through a swiss cheese line to block. I've seen him make great plays blocking and I've seen him miss some assignments. Are you sure Darby was in there because Jackson couldnt block or was he in there because the coaches put him in there for certain packages? Not putting him in to just pick up the blitz. Darby did get blasted by a referee afterall. I think some of Jackson's dancing comes from the holes just not being there to run through. He doesnt just plow his head into the hole anyways, he looks to make a play elsewhere. We will see what he can really do when he actually gets some blocking. Also to say that he lacks intestinal fortitude just baffles me. Stepping on that field and taking a beating like he does just dis-proves that. So his most glaring weakness is blocking yet the guy is a beast when running and catching the ball. I think I can put up with him not being a great blocker with what other assets he brings to this team.
    Just Fix It

maineram Guest

Reality hurts at times. I hope Stephen understands with this new staff that blocking is a priority. Maybe he should talk to McMichael, who came here thinking he's going to catch 60+ passes a year but instead was blocking 80% of the time because that was where he was needed most !

Maineram -

theodus69 Guest

great backs don't wait for things to happen .........they make things happen. Sayers,Simpson,Sanders,etc. Jackson isn't even close to that list.

rammiser is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by theodus69 View Post
    great backs don't wait for things to happen .........they make things happen. Sayers,Simpson,Sanders,etc. Jackson isn't even close to that list.

Sure Sanders never danced right? He danced all the time because his line sucked so bad. Your actually wrong great backs are patient and have to wait for holes to develop. Backs dont make holes open up offensive lineman do. Maybe it's just me but Jackson seems to make plenty happen. Yet haters only focus on the negatives AS USUAL. Hey we could just bench the no blocking always dancing Jackson and just start Antonio Pittman or Samkon Gado or heck even the great Kenneth Darby. Some of you just never recognize a good thing when you see it. It's too bad that Jackson had to follow up Faulk because if he hadnt maybe he wouldnt be ridiculed for some of the smallest things.
    Just Fix It

theodus69 Guest

Not to say I'm a hater, but past posts would say I am, but I have seen him miss holes, be stopped in the back field by one arm and after a game he does well , He's hurt for 3 games. He is the best we have yet that isn't that good. Jackson needs to get healthy and play ball. When he is rolling for some yards he is a devistating hitter on the secondary, but in the back field he seems to weigh about 180 and is slow to the hole. I just hope his offseason training brings in a new man and the leagues best rusher.