Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Rams' Janoris Jenkins in contract dispute over the rookie's financial advisory

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Rams' Janoris Jenkins in contract dispute over the rookie's financial advisory

From Rotoworld:

Yahoo! Sports reports the Rams and No. 39 overall pick CB Janoris Jenkins are locked into a dispute over a pre-draft verbal agreement over who will financially advise the rookie.

During the draft, coach Jeff Fisher reportedly twisted the arm of Jenkins' agent, ensuring that the troubled prospect would hire a business manager to help with issues involving the cornerback's four children with three women. That agreement, however, is not allowed and "unheard of," according to the NFLPA. Fisher is said to remain "insistent" that his recommended adviser step in to handle Jenkins' finances. The sides won't agree to a contract until the matter is put to rest.

More from Jason Cole of Yahoo Sports:

The relationship between St. Louis Rams rookie cornerback Janoris Jenkins and the team is off to a rocky start because of a verbal pre-draft agreement that's impermissible according to terms of the collective bargaining agreement.

Jenkins, who played his final college season at North Alabama after being dismissed by Florida, and the Rams have yet to agree on a contract. Aside from typical issues regarding the payment of signing bonus money (the Rams want a significant deferral over the four years of the deal), there is a dispute over who will financially advise Jenkins.

Rams coach Jeff Fisher, according to four sources familiar with the situation, wants Lou Taylor of Tri Star Sports & Entertainment Group to advise Jenkins. The second-round pick, projected by some evaluators as a top 10 talent, has signed at least one set of documents with Taylor's company, a copy of which has been obtained by Yahoo! Sports, although Taylor strongly denied last week that she is working with Jenkins.

"I do not work for Janoris Jenkins," said Taylor, who twice hung up on conversations with Yahoo! Sports and sent a text message threatening to inform the NFL Players Association that she was questioned about Jenkins.

During April's NFL draft, Fisher made Jenkins' agent, Malik Shareef, promise that Jenkins would hire a business manager to help Jenkins navigate his personal issues, which include fathering four children with three women. There is a fourth woman who is claiming she has another child with Jenkins.

However, according to last year's CBA, the pre-draft understanding between the Rams and Jenkins' camp is not allowed and is "unheard of," according to an NFLPA source.

The league and NFLPA have since contacted the Rams over the matter. A Rams source said last week: "We know there can't be any pre-conditions to the contract."

Jeff Fisher (AP)Yet, according to the sources, Fisher remains insistent that his recommended advisor manages Jenkins' finances. However, both sides hope to reach a resolution that doesn't involve some form of legal action by the NFLPA.

Leading up to the draft, Jenkins already had a team of people working with him, including Shareef, Army staff sergeant Sandy Cornelio and a financial advisor with Merrill Lynch. Jenkins has taken out a bank loan and said in March that he used much of the money to bring his child-support payments up to date.

Jenkins, who has not returned messages regarding Taylor and the Rams, seemed content with his management team prior to the draft. Subsequently, he has grown increasingly unhappy with being forced to use Taylor, who two sources said is planning to charge him $120,000 over four years for her services. The duties would include managing the child-support payments and placing him on a budget.

Taylor has worked with many high-profile clients, including Fisher and Britney Spears. She was also fired by Lindsay Lohan in October. The relationship between Taylor and Fisher seems touchy to Jenkins because he wonders if Taylor would relay personal information to the coach.

Two sources said Jenkins signed documents with Taylor merely as a way of placating the Rams. Jenkins also asked an NFL representative at the league's rookie symposium about whether the team could force him to choose an advisor.

Cornelio said on several occasions that he is not seeking payment from Jenkins, who he has known since Jenkins was at Pahokee (Fla.) High School. Merrill Lynch works on a percentage basis but multiple rates fees could be included in accordance with company rules.

The Rams, according to three of the sources, have raised concerns about how many people are involved in Jenkins' finances and privately question the effectiveness of Cornelio and Merrill Lynch, particularly in light of Jenkins' history at Florida. Aside from the numerous children, Jenkins was kicked out of the school after being arrested for marijuana possession twice in a three-month period.

Although Jenkins' issues contributed to him falling to No. 39 overall, he hasn't had any more drug issues or children since working more closely with Cornelio. Among other things, Cornelio said in March that he regularly drug tests Jenkins.

Though the two sides have not revealed a ballpark range for negotiations, the No. 39 pick in last year's draft, Akeem Ayres, signed a four-year, $4.9 million contract with the Titans that included a $2 million signing bonus.

chucknbob is offline Registered User

Re: Rams' Janoris Jenkins in contract dispute over the rookie's financial advisory

IF this is true, I've got to side with Jenkins. I would agree an advisor is a good idea, and I think there is nothing wrong with Fish recommending his young players to get help (a big portion of the rookie symposium is about how to handle finances) but the team shouldn't force a player to hire an advisor, let alone a certian person.
    Jonze and ManofGod like this.

FestusRam is offline Registered User

Re: Rams' Janoris Jenkins in contract dispute over the rookie's financial advisory

The Rams dont seem to have much leverage here.

If they want him to hire an advisor of their choosing, it might help if they added the cost of the advisor in the contract as a cherry on top. Im sure he wouldnt be so opposed to that.
    ManofGod likes this.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Sounds like a mess. I agree the Rams shouldn't be telling him who to hire, but it sounds like he agreed to it and actually signed with Fisher's choice, albeit apparently without intent to follow through. Who knows what the truth is, but the situation doesn't sound good. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that it all works out soon.

Fargo Ram Fan is offline Registered User

Leading up to the draft, Jenkins already had a team of people working with him, including Shareef, Army staff sergeant Sandy Cornelio and a financial advisor with Merrill Lynch. Jenkins has taken out a bank loan and said in March that he used much of the money to bring his child-support payments up to date.
    He already seems to have some rational decision makers in his corner. He is also on the hook for this loan...which means he needs to get signed, so he can meet his obligations. The Rams cant force someone to work with 'advisers' of their choosing. Poorly thought out on their part. Sign the young man and let him prove his worth. All that child support should be a solid motivating factor when he considers his career alternatives.
    "You people point your 'f'in' finger and say theres the bad guy....what that make you....good?" Tony Montana

gap
    gap is offline Registered User

While I agree that the request was out of the norm, the RAMS did it to protect themselves. They also only selected him at that spot because he agreed. Who knows how much farther he would have fallen in the draft had the RAMS not selected him at 39 over all.

If I am the RAMS, and he continues to refuse, I drop the requirement and then offer him a contract based on where he was projected to be select (with his baggage). I would then offer him a #39 overall contract with the required advisor. He can choose either contract, or relist himself for the 2013 draft.

gap

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP
    Gap - agree 100%.
    This stupid dip**** decides he knows better than his agent, (and Fisher), (based on the fact that he has shown such stellar judgement in the past), and starts backing off on what everyone seems to agree was a verbal commitment.

I really had hopes for this guy, but am disappointed, and hope the Rams continue to play hardball.

21 year olds -
    scheduled to make more in 4 years than most people earn in a lifetime...

Aaarrgghhh!

**** him.
    live4ramin likes this.
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

I said in an earlier post that the Rams had better be careful about how they deal with Jenkins. His talent is far to immense for the Rams to destroy their relationship with him before he even hits the field for game one.

No grown man wants to feel like he's being baby sat, no matter what his issues are.

It is his inalienable right to make and hopefully learn from his own mistakes.

Understandably the Rams are trying to help Jenkins, as well as protect their investment, but in my humble opinion, the Rams have overstepped their bounds.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Jenkins already has a financial advisor in place. Why force him to get a different, particular advisor when he already has one?

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

HUb: I don't know, guys. I think the kids and the attached baby mamas are going to be a real distraction if we draft this guy.

Others: You're crazy, HUb. So what; he had a couple of kids with a couple of women. Everybody's done that. It won't be a problem.

HUb: I'm telling you, fellas. I guarantee; if we draft this guy, at some point, the money and his baby mama issues will be a distraction for this team.

Others: No way, HUb. You're an amazingly intelligent person with the sex appeal of Brad Pitt and body of a Greek god, but.....on this issue you're wrong.

(admittedly, I may have embellished that last one)
    ramsanddodgers and ZiaRam like this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Truck is offline Registered User

I don't understand why we'd need to choose the exact advisor here.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    HUb: I don't know, guys. I think the kids and the attached baby mamas are going to be a real distraction if we draft this guy.

Others: You're crazy, HUb. So what; he had a couple of kids with a couple of women. Everybody's done that. It won't be a problem.

HUb: I'm telling you, fellas. I guarantee; if we draft this guy, at some point, the money and his baby mama issues will be a distraction for this team.

Others: No way, HUb. You're an amazingly intelligent person with the sex appeal of Brad Pitt and body of a Greek god, but.....on this issue you're wrong.

NJRamsfan: I don't like the pick

Others: Are you crazy?? He's a 1st round talent!!

NJ: Yes, but you don't sacrifice your principles to field a winner

Others: Yes, but there's tremendous upside...

NJ: Yes, but these things never end well, and when you're a bad football team...

Others: Hey, EVERYBODY has smoked weed- and he's taking responsibility for the 4 kids he's had with 3 different women before his 22nd birthday...

NJ: Like I said, he's gonna' be more trouble than he's worth

Others: You're wrong- What did Spags' "choir boy" approach get us? Down with character! Down with the four pillars! These are the NEW Rams!
    MoonJoe and ramsanddodgers like this.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post

Maybe i have just read the article wrong, but where did it say that Jenkins' four kids and baby mamas are a distraction? To me the article says Jenkins has a financial advisor, it's just not the expensive financial advisor that Jeff Fisher would like him to have.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP

He was the best athlete at that slot, what does it matter what kind of character he has, sheez!
    "The disappointment of losing is huge!"

Jack Youngblood

Rambos is offline Registered User

For all the Ram fans that can't wait to say see I told you so this is a bit premature to say in the least. Try an hold out for something better then this, you guys are better then that. This is about Jenkins and his contract and or his money. All players have the right to get the contract they want.

I like the fact that Fisher wants to control as much he can with the Jenkins investment but to dictate who and how much he is going to pay for financial advise is a bit much and not within the rules.

How many kids does Marshal have with different baby mamas?

NJRamsfan: I don't like the pick
    Yes we know you don't, but lets try and be somewhat supportive until he actually does become a problem. He is a Ram right?
    Last edited by Rambos; -07-06-2012 at 11:07 AM.
    THOLTFAN81 and GROUND DOG 39 like this.

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast